• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sacagawea 2000 P Dollar
1 1

22 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Kath13 said:

Some of these coins are going for some good money even uncertified.  I have 1 but with my luck is worthless.  How does one really know?

sac1.JPG

sac2.JPG

This series was so short-lived it's hard to tell.  One thing I remember distinctly is getting a first year of issue in change and wondering why anyone in government would authorize a coin which could so easily be mistaken for a quarter.  They were universally disliked from their inception.  A Kennedy half is larger and more distinct but when's the last time you got one in change?  What role does acceptance and popularity have to do with scarcity? Fickle finikyness.

When you say big money can you list or link some of those big money coins/auction results?    As to the coin you posted you may have seen results for the "Cheerios" coins there are a couple of mules known for this date as well as the wounded eagle error.  All of those variants have sold for significant money as well as some extraordinarily vivid toned examples.  As your coin does not fall into one of those categories I would say that you have a coin worth $1.

If you look at those listings, there was only one bid for each of them. One was the first bid on eBay for someone. It is hard to say if these were shill bids or from someone who did not know what they were doing. A seller can ask whatever he wants up to $2500.00 for a raw coin and hope that someone takes the bait.

If you look at the other more realistic listings, you will see that they go for around $2-3.00 uncirculated unless it is a Cheerios or wounded Eagle.

If these were on Etsy, they would ask $10,000.

Edited by Greenstang
Correct typo

11 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

If these were on Este, they would ask $10,000.

If you can take a casual stroll through Etsy, and not feel some degree of queasiness or discomfort, you don't have your antennae fully extended. There are certain sites the serious collector stays away from.  This, IMHO, is one of them.  Caveat emptor!  

I have thirty mint rolls of 2000 Ps. If you buy the entire lot, I will sell them to you for $100 each coin. If you can get $1400 each for them, you will make a fortune. The toners on the ends of the rolls are beautiful😁😁😁

84099038-62B3-49B1-9567-CFB27B8C6BFA.jpeg

Edited by LOCK34

1 minute ago, LOCK34 said:

Try to explain that to the older folks who bought them as an investment when they were first released😁😁😁

I have, and I will again if called upon. The same with every over-enthusiastic beginner who hoarded rolls of State Quarters. /yawn

7 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

The regular 2000P Sac is literally one of the least collectible coins in the history of coins. 

I am afraid you are right. I cheated (I admit it) and took a quick foray thru Google and discovered -- OP is advised to brace herself -- that "no less than 767,140,000 2000-P's were minted...

The most valuable, according to one site, is the Cheerios an example of which was graded MS68 by PCGS and sold for $23,000.

Curiously, according to the same site an "original roll" of 20 is worth about $30./roll.

Complicating matters is a "used" example -- inaccurately described as "coin material - gold" being offered by a seller on Etsy for $15,000.

The original, run-of-the-mill, 2000-P is not expected to appreciate in the future.

Obviously, due diligence is required.  I have no opinion on this, the wounded bird, or Goodacre Presentation specimens.

1 minute ago, Quintus Arrius said:

I am afraid you are right. I cheated (I admit it) and took a quick foray thru Google and discovered -- OP is advised to brace herself -- that "no less than 767,140,000 2000-P's were minted...

The most valuable, according to one site, is the Cheerios an example of which was graded MS68 by PCGS and sold for $23,000.

Curiously, according to the same site an "original roll" of 20 is worth about $30./roll.

Complicating matters is a "used" example -- inaccurately described as "coin material - gold" being offered by a seller on Etsy for $15,000.

The original, run-of-the-mill, 2000-P is not expected to appreciate in the future.

Obviously, due diligence is required.  I have no opinion on this, the wounded bird, or Goodacre Presentation specimens.

There are the Cheerios ones, the Goodacre ones, and even the unauthorized Space Shuttle flown actual gold ones, but in the regular run-of-the-mill ones, all that exists of interest to some people are some strange toned examples. 

These coins, greasy to the touch, have an interesting composition.  A pure copper core and a cladding that includes 77% copper and 7% manganese.  Also 12% nickel and 4% zinc.  If copper, so dear it was largely removed from the cent, and manganese were to appreciate greatly in value, who knows what the future holds for these coins.

Question for Kath13:  which weighs more:  an ounce of silver or an ounce of copper -- and why?

Answer:

Gold, silver, etc. are precious metals using troy weight:  12 troy oz (12 t oz/12 oz t) = one troy pound

Copper, etc. is measured in avoirdupois weight:  16 oz = one lb.

On 3/13/2021 at 1:55 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

This series was so short-lived it's hard to tell.  One thing I remember distinctly is getting a first year of issue in change and wondering why anyone in government would authorize a coin which could so easily be mistaken for a quarter.  They were universally disliked from their inception.

I think you are confusing the SBA with the Sac dollar.

On 3/13/2021 at 7:27 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Question for Kath13:  which weighs more:  an ounce of silver or an ounce of copper -- and why?

An oz of silver weighs more than an oz of copper , but a pound of copper weighs more than a pound of silver

[Correction:  Our illustrious Conder101 is correct.  I was, in fact, confusing the Susan B. Anthony with the Sacagawea one-dollar coin. It was the former that was universally disliked by vendors and consumers owing to its close similarity to the quarter-dollar in size and color.]