• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New feature to NGC holder
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Hi everyone.  If this is has been talked about already I apologize.  Please link me, I searched but didn't find anything. 

I noticed the holders for recently graded coins have these 'wings' at the ends of the display box.   What purpose do they serve?  Thank you.

NGCnew.jpg

37 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

@CertifiedKilos  would you mind posting a full front and back slab shot, I would like to have those to add to my library of slab generation photos.  Or you can send those to me via pm if you prefer, thanks in advance.

It was just a screen shot I took of a random NGC graded coin on Ebay.  If you go there and type in the search NGC 69 or NGC 70, then sort by newest, you'll find 1000's of listings with these holders. 

Have several coins in these slabs, too, all resubmitted for Scratch-Resistant holders, as far back as February 2019.

My only complaint is when the coins are returned and have to be re-resubmitted due to "fibers" entrapped in the holders or bubbles in the Scratch-Resistant film.  Then it starts to get expensive:  registered mail/insurance shipping costs.

Labor costs, if passed on… who cares!  I sent a 2019 W $5 gold coin in for Complimentary Reholdering due to slab defects, the Registered Mail/Insurance cost $55.22, and a new, different curlicue fiber can be seen near the coin obverse in the received holder.  At that point, I just moved on… diminishing returns when you chase this stuff on and on.

3 hours ago, USAuPzlBxBob said:

Have several coins in these slabs, too, all resubmitted for Scratch-Resistant holders, as far back as February 2019.

My only complaint is when the coins are returned and have to be re-resubmitted due to "fibers" entrapped in the holders or bubbles in the Scratch-Resistant film.  Then it starts to get expensive:  registered mail/insurance shipping costs.

Labor costs, if passed on… who cares!  I sent a 2019 W $5 gold coin in for Complimentary Reholdering due to slab defects, the Registered Mail/Insurance cost $55.22, and a new, different curlicue fiber can be seen near the coin obverse in the received holder.  At that point, I just moved on… diminishing returns when you chase this stuff on and on.

Nothing is free, and very little is inexpensive. Very seldom can a small collector compete with an Elite status dealer doing bulk submissions. You need to strategize to keep the costs down. Being in a rush kills you.

Edited by VKurtB

I was looking and almost all of my NGC slabbed coins have those also. I got one of the old fat holders I am looking at now. How does those labels work? Are they some kind of a sticker or does the plastic case hold them in place?

1 hour ago, Hoghead515 said:

I was looking and almost all of my NGC slabbed coins have those also. I got one of the old fat holders I am looking at now. How does those labels work? Are they some kind of a sticker or does the plastic case hold them in place?

Over time, both. Recent slabs are not stickers.