• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Corrosion
1 1

47 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, bsshog40 said:

It doesn't excuse his behavior, sarcasm or wrongful advice given to new collectors! He solicits information that can damage other peoples coins! We don't need this type of misleading information as good advice for people to follow!

On further review, all those posts about having modern XF’s graded HAD TO BE sarcasm. But in his defense, the stuff that a whole bunch of newbies do get graded is ridiculous. He uses sarcasm, and I directly ask why. When I was a newb in this hobby, of course there were no TPGS firms, but I could read a Red Book and intuitively KNOW that spending $20 plus to have a $4 coin graded was ridiculous. Why don’t more people know that?

YouTube??? Sorry, I was never that gullible. I was born less gullible than to believe a YouTube jockey with a sideways ball cap and who uses “Yo, yo, yo!” excessively. 

Edited by VKurtB

35 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

I think Mod drinks a little. I don’t drink any more, but then again, I might not drink any less, either. 

He is ruining the coin forum, insulting people in multiple threads.  

2 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

Okay, then a mean drunk? I’d hate to see humor become an endangered species. Coin people ARE funny as heck. 

Edited by VKurtB

6 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

I have to ask this only PARTIALLY rhetorically: Who does more of a disservice to the “community”, Modwriter or Ratzie33?

I think most everyone enjoys humor, but the point of most of these posts is for people to learn and/or discuss coins. Inserting humor here or there is fine, but it seems a lot of all replies in these posts is more like social hour or self amusement. The rants that some of these threads migrate too are so far from either the original topic or better yet coins it is mind boggling. 

Just now, VKurtB said:

I have to ask this only PARTIALLY rhetorically: Who does more of a disservice to the “community”, Modwriter or Ratzie33?

Well, one's behavior is totally unacceptable, and the other is slightly annoying.  I'll choose multiple pics of the same coins over rude and insulting posts any day.  

1 minute ago, comicdonna said:

Well, one's behavior is totally unacceptable, and the other is slightly annoying.  I'll choose multiple pics of the same coins over rude and insulting posts any day.  

How does the concomitant disinformation on the SMS Kennedies factor in? Totally serious.

7 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

How does the concomitant disinformation on the SMS Kennedies factor in? Totally serious.

Well, I see it as annoying.  His last thread stated "I may have"    

46 minutes ago, bsshog40 said:

Maybe you missed this post and response!

post.jpg

Yes, I saw that one, but how oblivious does one have to be to not realize one’s leg is being pulled when “Corinthian leather” gets invoked? As for odd chemical choices, there’s quite little I haven’t studied, up to and including full strength Simple Green as a soak. Most create a “hot mess”, but I’ve seen almost anything that can be done to modern coins. I even gave an ANA talk on the impact of photo chemicals on silver coins, both to impart and remove toning. The point of my talk was that AT doesn’t take much skill, and there’s more of it out there than most people can imagine.

Edited by VKurtB

8 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Yes, I saw that one, but how oblivious does one have to be to not realize one’s leg is being pulled when “Corinthian leather” gets included? As for odd chemical choices, there’s quite little I haven’t studied, up to and including full strength Simple Green as a soak. Most create a “hot mess”, but I’ve seen almost anything that can be done to modern coins.

When you're new, asking how to safely clean a coin, and someone offers that method, how can you be sure they don't know that it is a real process being offered by someone who is more knowledgeable on a coin forum? If you want to keep making excuses for him, then so goes your respect for accurate information also.   

22 minutes ago, bsshog40 said:

When you're new, asking how to safely clean a coin, and someone offers that method, how can you be sure they don't know that it is a real process being offered by someone who is more knowledgeable on a coin forum? If you want to keep making excuses for him, then so goes your respect for accurate information also.   

I am an accuracy in information FANATIC, but some lighthearted humor is pretty badly needed as well. The worst part of this hobby is the vast number of more senior people who take themselves far too seriously. Just an opinion, but one unlikely to change. Seriousness does not correlate well with knowledge, and that’s a crying shame. So-called professional dealers spew more BS than anyone, unfortunately, even though much of it is just an unwillingness to stay current. 

Edited by VKurtB

2 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

I am an accuracy in information FANATIC, but some lighthearted humor is pretty badly needed as well. The worst part of this hobby is the vast number of more senior people who take themselves far too seriously. Just an opinion, but one unlikely to change. Seriousness does not correlate well with knowledge, and that’s a crying shame. So called professional dealers spew more BS than anyone, unfortunately, even though much of it is just an unwillingness to stay current. 

Lighthearted humor is fine. We used to have it a lot around here. BUT, most members were familiar with each other. If derogatory statements are made in humor, that's what we have smileys for or maybe just let someone know you are not serious about the information you just gave. I have seen many rude and disrespectful statements from the person in question. Alas, the reason why I blocked him a while back. 

The problem is this is a COIN forum, not a social, comedy, political or anything else forum. I have increasingly noticed that with many of the “seasoned veterans” the vast majority of all of their posts and responses are an attempt at a joke or criticism. These same people rarely offer anything of substance but want to proclaim their expertise. I certainly won’t pretend I have expertise but that’s a lot of the reason I read the things in these chat boards is to learn from those that know much more than myself. What I almost exclusively see are attempted jokes and bickering amongst forum members with very little substance and often so far off topic it is nonsensical. 

6 hours ago, Woods020 said:

The problem is this is a COIN forum, not a social, comedy, political or anything else forum. I have increasingly noticed that with many of the “seasoned veterans” the vast majority of all of their posts and responses are an attempt at a joke or criticism. These same people rarely offer anything of substance but want to proclaim their expertise. I certainly won’t pretend I have expertise but that’s a lot of the reason I read the things in these chat boards is to learn from those that know much more than myself. What I almost exclusively see are attempted jokes and bickering amongst forum members with very little substance and often so far off topic it is nonsensical. 

I have to say that anyone who uses pretty much ANY internet source for serious numismatic information is setting himself up for repeated disappointment. Yes, the NNP is trying to change that, but even that is woefully unusable. Pretty much ALL the value is in the “social, comedy, political or anything else” category. And that’s not due to malice as much as legitimately inaccurate and/or controversial information. Much more in this field is raw naked opinion than people are comfortable admitting. And those opinions are often legitimately diametrically opposed. My advice? Put down the stinking mouse and pick up dead tree books. Even then, you take your chances, depending on the author’s proclivities. But in a discussion board? Expecting actionable advice? Wow, that’s a triumph of optimism over reality. You’re putting far too much faith in not just the medium, but the nature of the information itself. If you want 15 opinions, invite 5 numismatists.

In short, all “free” information is accurately priced to reflect its value.

Edited by VKurtB

1 hour ago, VKurtB said:

I have to say that anyone who uses pretty much ANY internet source for serious numismatic information is setting himself up for repeated disappointment. Yes, the NNP is trying to change that, but even that is woefully unusable. Pretty much ALL the value is in the “social, comedy, political or anything else” category. And that’s not due to malice as much as legitimately inaccurate and/or controversial information. Much more in this field is raw naked opinion than people are comfortable admitting. And those opinions are often legitimately diametrically opposed. My advice? Put down the stinking mouse and pick up dead tree books. Even then, you take your chances, depending on the author’s proclivities. But in a discussion board? Expecting actionable advice? Wow, that’s a triumph of optimism over reality. You’re putting far too much faith in not just the medium, but the nature of the information itself. If you want 15 opinions, invite 5 numismatists.

In short, all “free” information is accurately priced to reflect its value.

This forum use to be soo much better. Now we have people that are allowed to give wrongful information and then those that justify it. I'm pretty much getting done with this place!

1 hour ago, bsshog40 said:

This forum use to be soo much better. Now we have people that are allowed to give wrongful information and then those that justify it. I'm pretty much getting done with this place!

Listen to yourself! “Allowed to give wrongful information”????? What are you going to do? There’s wrongful information ALL OVER THE PLACE. It’s the nature of the beast. The subject permits it, because there’s no agreement among even professionals, and the Internet owes its very existence to unverified, unedited, unreliable information. Have you read any Twitter lately? Expecting anything else is literally naïve.

Edited by VKurtB