• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is CoinTalk.com a scam?
3 3

463 posts in this topic

On 1/9/2024 at 5:32 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

I do not do anything at CoinTalk.  I spend most of my time at PCGS, some time here, and I lurk at CAC (never signed up).  I like the idea of MyCollect, but it has not manifested in the way it was intended.  I have nothing against any coin chat site.  It's the contributors that either make it or ruin it IMO. 

You see, we have something in common! No, not an affinity for half-cents. Rather, not doing anything at CoinTalk! The secret of my success is simple: I have a blemish-free record there because I have never spoken up. Never, not once!  My resignation here was prompted in large part by the harsh though completely accurate criticism lodged by members of substance like you. Tho I may be gone, I allow 🐓 to speak for me in my absence. Due to a drought in my series, I do not have a coin to submit so, right now, I am merely a dues-paying entity with a proxy voice. It is my fervent desire that all the members who fled return to this Forum to restore it to its former glory and legendary greatness.  (thumbsu

On 1/9/2024 at 5:32 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

I do not do anything at CoinTalk.  I spend most of my time at PCGS, some time here, and I lurk at CAC (never signed up).  I like the idea of MyCollect, but it has not manifested in the way it was intended.  I have nothing against any coin chat site.  It's the contributors that either make it or ruin it IMO. 

I find that every site has different strengths.  Ditto the CAC Forum.

For me, this is probably the best place because of the volume of information I have here on the RWB Saint-Gaudens Book Thread.  Many of you have contributed valuable posts there, including of course Roger.  It's irreplaceable, which is why I have saved it on my own PC every 5 pages or so. xD

Good stuff elsewhere, especially from the veterans with decades of experience on grading standards, MS vs. AU, Friction vs. Rub vs. Wear vs. Cabinet Friction etc.....and other similar debates.  Though I have no interest in Franklin Halfs, that Franklin Gradeflation Thread at CU was great.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 1/9/2024 at 9:31 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I find that every site has different strengths.  Ditto the CAC Forum.

For me, this is probably the best place because of the volume of information I have here on the RWB Saint-Gaudens Book Thread.  Many of you have contributed valuable posts there, including of course Roger.  It's irreplaceable, which is why I have saved it on my own PC every 5 pages or so. xD

Good stuff elsewhere, especially from the veterans with decades of experience on grading standards, MS vs. AU, Friction vs. Rub vs. Wear vs. Cabinet Friction etc.....and other similar debates.  Though I have no interest in Franklin Halfs, that Franklin Gradeflation Thread at CU was great.

I briefly had a subscription to the latest iteration of the CDN newsletter. There was a separate printed price guide for CAC coins.  CAC gets premium prices and it will likely always do so. 

On 11/16/2020 at 11:16 AM, bsshog40 said:

I have been a member on CT for quite a while now. Never had any problems.  Quite a few members from here and ATS venture there also. 

I opened an account and made no reply to anything. Less than 24 hours later I was banned. No reason. Only thing I did between signing up and banishment was give a bad review on the Apmex site on a barber quarter I purchased. 

On 11/16/2020 at 11:45 AM, Coinbuf said:

You are incorrect, coin talk is not a scam, they are not gaining anything or stealing or taking anything from anyone.  It was your choice to go there, open an account and post, the only thing you lost was your time which you gave by your own free will.  I am not a member there but have heard from others that have also been banned that it is heavily moderated, the common thing all those individuals have is that they were all banned, so there is that.

As a side note I did not see your name G_P when I did a google search for numismatist, the first thing to come up was wikipedia.

I opened an account and didn't post anything and got banned. I sent Apmex a bad review on a barber quarter I purchased. I wonder if that is the reason? Could they be tied in with Apmex?

(Sorry, all, but I am not going to re-visit this issue.)

On 6/7/2024 at 5:44 AM, Ilikecoins0716 said:

I opened an account and didn't post anything and got banned. I sent Apmex a bad review on a barber quarter I purchased. I wonder if that is the reason? Could they be tied in with Apmex?

Your IP address was used on CT in the past. Maybe you opened an account on CT in the past? 

On 6/7/2024 at 8:50 AM, ldhair said:

Your IP address was used on CT in the past. Maybe you opened an account on CT in the past? 

How do you know that Larry?

On 6/7/2024 at 3:44 AM, Ilikecoins0716 said:

As I said I'm not a member of CT nor do I have any control of, moderation of, or interest in CT, so I have no idea why your account was banned.   Perhaps @ldhair can shed some light on this as he seems to be suggesting that your IP was used twice.   

@Coinbuf :  There may be some credence to what member Idhair suggests. Many moons ago when it was suggested respectable members bum-rush a disorderly member off the Board, I distinctly recall another member suggesting simply changing one's User Name was insufficient if he used the same internet protocol [IP] number unique to each phone.  You would have to change phones, but he also observed it would be very doubtful a member could maintain the charade with his distinctive way of "speaking" and use of vocabulary.  @RWB was the first to challenge Henri Arrius choosing to address him directly as Quintus.  That was one reason why I chose to change my name and am considering yet another change which I know my uncle z will get a big kick out of.  :roflmao:

I have been posting on CT for about 16 years and have a good understanding of the rules there. Actually the rules there are much like the rules here and over on CU. This is a short list of things that get folks in trouble.

Lets say you have an account there and forget your password. Some think they can just start fresh with a new user name. That's a big no no and can get you banned for life.

Lets say you get in trouble on CT over the rules. They may just give you a vacation for a while. I'll call that a cooling off period. Some that are put on vacation think they can just get back on with a new user name. That don't work and is also a big no no.

Many that get banned never stop trying to get back on the site with a new user name. CT is really good at catching that.

Lets say you are already a member and someone in your household would also like to post on CT. You would need to contact Doug or a mod. and work that out before ever trying to create a new account. This situation can be a tough call for the mods. Sometime back there was a father and son with different user names. The father got banned but just kept using the sons account. I believe both members were banned for life.

The owner of CT is well known in the hobby and has been for many years. He once sold his coin collection just to keep the site up and running. Doug is the admin. and runs the site for the owner. They both have awesome computer skills that keep the site safe. They were both on the internet from it's start. Very little get's past them and they don't put up with those that try.

Most that come here to complain about CT don't share the complete story of why they are having problems on CT.

🐓:  I believe our mutual friend has laid down a gauntlet daring to challenge anyone from crossing the Big Red Line punctuated with Big No-Nos.

Q.A.:  True, but his observations are valid.  Hey, remember the time we joined there when I was disfellowshipped here and I absentmindedly Liked a comment there made my a member who had Ignored me here?  🤣  Those were the days!  Still and all, I have a few ideas I would like to test-drive over there. Are you game, Ricky?

🐓  :  You down with OPP? Yeah, you know me. 🎶 

On 6/8/2024 at 9:00 AM, ldhair said:

Lets say you have an account there and forget your password. Some think they can just start fresh with a new user name. That's a big no no and can get you banned for life.

If that's true, my guess is the Mods there would be forgiving of someone who did that.  Trying to evade a suspension is one thing...but I think forgetting a PW is a harmless offense if one tried to create a new ID.  Of course, you'd like to think that 25 years into the Internet most people would realize it's best to contact the Admin/Mods and get a new PW or do the automatic reset thing rather than try and create a new ID.  But maybe if an account is brand new I could see someone trying a new ID since they don't have many posts in their archive history.

I've found the CT folks very good and when I inadvertently crossed the line -- usually with something being edited/deleted -- when I asked the Mods why my post got altered, they give me a very well-reasoned explanation.  For instance, I was talking about the rise in online bidding and referenced it as a result of the Covid stay-at-home phenomonenon and the reference to Covid got deleted.  I asked why and they told me.  Turns out they don't want any Covid-like political stuff or segues.....so I just changed it to a "2020-21 stay-at-home rise" and everything was fine. (thumbsu

The Covid thing turned into a big problem. The mods were sick of having to deal with all fights that got nasty. They finally just said, No More on the topic. It was out of control. I believe it became a problem over on CU as well.