• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

French 20-franc gold rooster
1 1

355 posts in this topic

F Y I:  $412.59.

That is the gold melt value of a French 20-franc gold rooster as of today and the highest it's been since I started collecting them five years ago.

On 3/21/2024 at 7:08 AM, Henri Charriere said:

F Y I:  $412.59. That is the gold melt value of a French 20-franc gold rooster as of today and the highest it's been since I started collecting them five years ago.

You only got into them 5 years ago ?  What caused you to pursue it so late ?

On 3/21/2024 at 11:17 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

You only got into them 5 years ago ?  What caused you to pursue it so late ?

In a nutshell... bed rest following hip-replacement surgery... internet... "Say, I wonder how the coins I bought and sold in the 1960's are doing right now?... Oh, what's this? 🐓... The rest, as they say is history...  (thumbsu

On 3/21/2024 at 2:54 PM, Henri Charriere said:

In a nutshell... bed rest following hip-replacement surgery... internet... "Say, I wonder how the coins I bought and sold in the 1960's are doing right now?... Oh, what's this? 🐓... The rest, as they say is history...  (thumbsu

Not too dissimilar from my story...I always seem to get into new hobbies or coins when I am out-of-work or having medical issues taken care of (when I don't have $$$)....when I DO have $$$....I don't have the time to learn new hobbies or new coins. xD

Posted (edited)

:news:      :news:      :news: 

It gives me great pleasure to confirm the user handle assigned to me by eBay, "ayto-3564," depending on how you wish to regard it, has been retired or undergone a metamorphosis to "Francois Villon"  [FV]. As a practical matter, this means the # 1 ranked French 20-francs gold rooster set on the West coast Set Registry has a "new owner." (As an aside, it also means, if long-standing custom continues, my most devoted and faithful follower shall soon regale the membership with a genealogical background check on who this rascal was, when he lived and how he died. I absolutely, positively shall not vociferously deny any sludge he manages to dredge up.)  Man, I love this place!  🤣 

Postscript:  the Gold Spot Price of the F20FR GR as of Fri. April 19, 2024 is:  $446.72.

(nota bene:  this Topic and thread is posted at the sole discretion of NGC Chat Board moderation.)

Edited by Henri Charriere
Routine die polishing

On 4/21/2024 at 9:33 PM, Henri Charriere said:

:news:      :news:      :news: 

It gives me great pleasure to confirm the user handle assigned to me by eBay, "ayto-3564," depending on how you wish to regard it, has been retired or undergone a metamorphosis to "Francois Villon"  [FV]. As a practical matter, this means the # 1 ranked French 20-francs gold rooster set on the West coast Set Registry has a "new owner." (As an aside, it also means, if long-standing custom continues, my most devoted and faithful follower shall soon regale the membership with a genealogical background check on who this rascal was, when he lived and how he died. I absolutely, positively shall not vociferously deny any sludge he manages to dredge up.)  Man, I love this place!  🤣 

Postscript:  the Gold Spot Price of the F20FR GR as of Fri. April 19, 2024 is:  $446.72.

(nota bene:  this Topic and thread is posted at the sole discretion of NGC Chat Board moderation.)

..."flies in the milk"....

On 3/21/2024 at 9:51 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Not too dissimilar from my story...I always seem to get into new hobbies or coins when I am out-of-work or having medical issues taken care of (when I don't have $$$)....when I DO have $$$....I don't have the time to learn new hobbies or new coins. xD

But the St. Gaudens worship lives on forever. 

On 4/24/2024 at 4:31 PM, zadok said:

...and lynda carter mite still come to ur house with her lasso....

Still can't believe that costume got past the old ABC censors !! xD

Saw her on an old episode of "2 1/2 Men" and she STILL looks good past 70 !!! (thumbsu

On 4/25/2024 at 10:07 AM, zadok said:

...well if u like beefy looking washer women stomping on grapes go for it....

...more like lucy and esther tap-dancing their way through a grape-filled mosh pit....if nobody liked 'em, they'd be as populur and sought after as the wild-haIred birch cent...(apologies to Sandon)  🤣

On 4/25/2024 at 9:05 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Why shouldn't it ?  Even if you dislike gold, can't you appreciate the artistry ?  :|

Of coins that spent nearly their entire existence waiting to be melted into Ft. Knox bars? Hardly. If the Treasury Department had that little respect for them, why should I? My collecting preference is for unusually nice coins of types that people actually used. Except for the difference in inherent value, St. Gaudens $20 gold coins were the Presidential or Innovation Dollars of their era. Unloved, largely unknown, and mostly unused. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 4/25/2024 at 12:54 PM, VKurtB said:

Of coins that spent nearly their entire existence waiting to be melted into Ft. Knox bars? Hardly. If the Treasury Department had that little respect for them, why should I? My collecting preference is for unusually nice coins of types that people actually used. Except for the difference in inherent value, St. Gaudens $20 gold coins were the Presidential or Innovation Dollars of their era. Unloved, largely unknown, and mostly unused. 

Foreigners overseas loved them....tons shipped to Europe from 1930-32.....Treasury melted them because of the orders from the dunces at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

Going off the gold standard did NOT mean having to confiscate and/or melt gold coins.  Letters to the editor to The Times notably said that in 1933 and 1934.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

...like roosters in paris....

Unloved, largely unknown, and mostly unused. 

Heathens...All of them.

Pearls before swine unwashed masses of filth & depravity.

We are trying to enlighten you base, foul & unholy excuses for humanity.

1st two words out of your dirt covered faces should be..."Thank You".

Edited by Cat Bath

Back to Roosters and the French xD.....doing some original article reading and the amount of gold hoarding by the French populace in the late-1920's/early-1930's was astounding. 

I've noted here the rise in gold reserves by the U.S. (big) and France (huge) as nations in the 1920's.  Individually, the French seemed more in a hoarding mode than citizens of the UK, Germany, Switzerland, and other countries.

Without their Roosters being available, they went to the other birds:  the Eagles and Double Eagles. (thumbsu

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 4/25/2024 at 11:48 PM, Cat Bath said:

Heathens...All of them.

Pearls before swine unwashed masses of filth & depravity.

We are trying to enlighten you base, foul & unholy excuses for humanity.

1st two words out of your dirt covered faces should be..."Thank You".

...dont let the word "saint" mislead u....

On 4/26/2024 at 12:06 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Back to Roosters and the French xD.....doing some original article reading and the amount of gold hoarding by the French populace was astounding. 

I've noted here the rise in gold reserves by the U.S. (big) and France (huge) as nations.  Individually, the French seemed more in a hoarding mode than citizens of the UK, Germany, Switzerland, and other countries.

Without their Roosters being available, they went to the other birds:  the Eagles and Double Eagles. (thumbsu

...wasnt much else there to hoard, wine n gold...define ur use of the word "french", people or govt or both n then or now or both?....

On 4/26/2024 at 12:25 AM, zadok said:

...wasnt much else there to hoard, wine n gold...define ur use of the word "french", people or govt or both n then or now or both?....

People....I clarified above.  The French Central Bank also had big increases in reserves but eventually they stopped releasing gold as they realized it wasn't being used, just hoarded.

On 4/26/2024 at 12:25 AM, zadok said:

I don't see articles in the papers of the day talking about the citizens of the UK, Switzerland, Germany, etc.....engaging in the hoarding of gold and gold coins to the extent that the French did.  Clearly, a cultural thing.

Europe overall much more into gold coins than here in the States.   French farmers, middle class, and professional class (doctors, lawyers, small businessmen) leading the charge.

Not sure why...could go back to Napoleon.  No history of devestating wars that I am aware of or hyperinflations in the 1800's.  WWI did have an impact on the accumulation tendencies of the 1920's and 1930's but not sure about the herd instinct before then.

On 4/26/2024 at 10:16 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I don't see articles in the papers of the day talking about the citizens of the UK, Switzerland, Germany, etc.....engaging in the hoarding of gold and gold coins to the extent that the French did.  Clearly, a cultural thing.

Europe overall much more into gold coins than here in the States....

Not sure why...could go back to Napoleon....

To Goldfinger at el.

Malheureusement, with Johnny Carson, and his Carnak the Magnificent skit gone, that leaves only z to give us professional numismatic advice.

My uninformed guess is, the size of the Rooster, just under a fifth of an ounce, the French Revolution which ultimately resulted in losing Haiti due to a slave revolt ( and imposing sanctions on them to avoid war) and sale of what became known as the Louisiana Purchase, France its affairs, followed much later by WWI "encourged" hoarding, melting and surreptitious exportation of gold to foreign countries. (If a "sad" emoji appears following this post, I am sadly mistaken in my assessment of French gold.)  :facepalm: