• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To Track...

19 posts in this topic

...or not to track. I habitually track incoming purchases. Sometimes I wish I hadn't - waiting in ignorance might be less frustrating. 

A group of medals arrived in NY from Germany on the 24th of January, left NY for Dallas (final destination) on the 29th. Arrived in Dallas on the 30th. (Now I'm eager with anticipation, my medals are 20 miles away.) Then sent to Chicago on the 31st. WHAAAT? Left Chicago for its "destination" February 1st. Now (February 5th) en route. I'm afraid to see where my medals will turn up next - back in Germany?  I guess it's better to know than not, as I'd otherwise be wondering why the shipment has taken so bloody long. 

BTW I think the USPS does a great job 98% of the time, but there are those times....

2 hours ago, LINCOLNMAN said:

A group of medals arrived in NY from Germany on the 24th of January, left NY for Dallas (final destination) on the 29th. Arrived in Dallas on the 30th. (Now I'm eager with anticipation, my medals are 20 miles away.) Then sent to Chicago on the 31st. WHAAAT? Left Chicago for its "destination" February 1st. Now (February 5th) en route. I'm afraid to see where my medals will turn up next - back in Germany?  I guess it's better to know than not, as I'd otherwise be wondering why the shipment has taken so bloody long. 

Wow. So they actually admit that they sent it to the wrong place after it was in your home town?

Usually I just suspect that happening with mine because it just says "in route to next facility" with a time code of 12:00 AM and no location for days and days until it finally shows up in Houston. They update the date every day in the tracking but that's it. I don't get to see where it's transferring through.

I feel you pain, packages do seem to arrive to end - hope it makes it.

The routes things seem to take never cease to amaze me but then I am not some expensive logistics computer. I buy quite a few things from US auctions but how many times does it have to go from the west coast to the east coast and back again before making it to New York and then finally to Europe where it will eventually make it to the UK. Sometimes things go around the globe the other way and stop off in Hong Kong or Singapore (and sometimes Kuwait?). I had an auction win from Germany arrive today and it had been to Switzerland, France, Belgium, Holland and several airports in the UK before getting here!

Anyone worked out how to claim air-miles for their parcels?xD

Where I'm at my stuff is quite slow out of Sarasota and sometimes sits in Tampa for 2 days. Sure I track every package but does it help any..... no.

20 hours ago, LINCOLNMAN said:

BTW I think the USPS does a great job 98% of the time, but there are those times.

The problem is "those times" are typically the only ones we hear about which results in the bad rep they usually have, which is unfair to them.

20 hours ago, Alex in PA. said:

Has to be a better way.

There is, but it's not practical.  Everytime you buy something, go to the airport, buy a round trip ticket, and go pick it up in person.   

And for what they charge they do an amazing job.  For the number of packages the Post Office handles every day, a very tiny percentage actually go missing.  If you didn't have the Post Office, what do you think you would have to pay to get a small package all the way across the country in two days?  Sure there are other shippers, UPS, FedEx, DHL, but their rates are MUCH higher.  A 1 lb package that can fit in a small flat rate box would cost $7.36 at the Post Office and usually be there in two days, it would be over $28 with UPS.  Even if you sent it UPS Ground it would cost $9.90 and take five days or more.  No for small package delivery there is still usually nothing that can beat the USPS.

44 minutes ago, Conder101 said:

for small package delivery there is still usually nothing that can beat the USPS.

Very true, and I've had bad experiences with UPS, because no one and nothing is perfect.

2 hours ago, Conder101 said:

The problem is "those times" are typically the only ones we hear about which results in the bad rep they usually have, which is unfair to them.

Agreed. This is the first time a package nearly made it to my doorstep then was sent away, felt the need to share. I think the local PO folks get a bad rap as well, my local PO personnel all awesome. Amazing the dimwit stuff they put up with from the public.

Had something similar happen to a christmas present I bought for a relative.  I was tracking it because I waited too long to buy it and I knew it would be a close call in arriving on time.

I started to relax when it arrived in Denver.  Next thing I knew it went to NY, then to NJ, then to OH.  Let's just say it was late...lol.

I hope the wait will be worth it for you.

My current Registered Mail package, to Sarasota, FL, left Jamaica at 1:25 am this morning.

Ahem. Not high as a kite on some killer bud, mind you…

That's Jamaica, NY… right next to JFK International.

Been waiting all day to see if it will touch down at the Sarasota - Bradenton International Airport, and then wind up in its P.O. Box 4776 tonight.

Alas, NGC is closed on Saturday, and it is too late today for their driver to go to the 34230 Zip Code.

So, no matter how much I anticipate, it will be a Monday procurement for NGC.

On 2/5/2019 at 3:22 PM, Alex in PA. said:

Sorry you have to under go this kind of frustration Lincolnman.  Had this happen to me twice now.   Has to be a better way.

Alex, love that $5 Carson City you have in your avatar.  Looks to be an AU53. (care to comment?)

One that I'm waiting to touchdown in Sarasota, right now, is a $5 Carson City AU58… for reholdering in Edge View/Scratch-Resistant.

Alas, Alack, and Alaska…

12 hours ago, USAuPzlBxBob said:

Alex, love that $5 Carson City you have in your avatar.  Looks to be an AU53. (care to comment?)

One that I'm waiting to touchdown in Sarasota, right now, is a $5 Carson City AU58… for reholdering in Edge View/Scratch-Resistant.

Alas, Alack, and Alaska…

1890 CC PCGS AU 53 and I have an 1981 CC NGC AU 58; got some CC Eagles and Double Eagles.  Love that Carson City gold.    Alaska?  Just returned to PA after a 35 year stint in Anchorage.  Really miss it.

1 hour ago, Alex in PA. said:

1890 CC PCGS AU 53 and I have an 19881 CC NGC AU 58; got some CC Eagles and Double Eagles.  Love that Carson City gold.    Alaska?  Just returned to PA after a 35 year stint in Anchorage.  Really miss it.

FTFY

Ha! :roflmao:

I was just having a little fun with assonance and alliteration when I purloined that lyric from The Man on the Flying Trapeze.

Within my gold type set, I have a gorgeous 1881 Carson City Eagle, of which I've posted my only Journal on the Boards here, with a photo of it, because its photographic beauty is unparalleled.

It was the first coin I ever bought, and it hooked me for life. (My only other "Eagle" not mentioned yet, is also Carson City:  an 1876 Double Eagle.  Yes, I also… "Love that Carson City gold.")

Speaking of being "hooked"…

I've been to Alaska once, but Anchorage twice. (Going in circles?  Nope!)

My nephew worked for AlaskaWest Fly Fishing one summer, years ago, and his father, a lifelong friend of mine who just happened to marry my sister, said we could go fly fishing with them at 1/10th the daily payment rate of $750/day because of family member discount rate… so had to go!

Flew into Anchorage, then out to the camp on the Kenektoc River, landing on a remote airstrip, right at the mouth of the Bering Sea, for a week of motor boating around, catching King Salmon, Rainbow Trout, and an occasional Dolly Varden.  And all of this on high performance fly rods with my nephew at the helm of the motor boat.  Fantastic adventure!

Speaking of adventure… my tracked package is still just showing that it left Jamaica, NY at 1:25 am this morning.

What's going on?!  It's Ja-making me go crazy!  lol

Just now, USAuPzlBxBob said:

What?  ???

Not 1:25 am Saturday Morning… it departed the Jamaica, NY facility at 1:25 am Friday morning!

Are they walking it to Sarasota, FL?  :facepalm:

The return of the Pony Express perhaps?  :roflmao:

DSCN0006.thumb.JPG.baf1810f7c4881085f975f535b6ddb0f.JPG

My NGC package arrived in Tampa around 3:00 pm today, was scanned at the airport USPS, and they got it on the road by 3:45 pm.

Sarasota is just an hour's drive down from Tampa, so it may be pulling into the USPS there right about now, and will be in its P.O. Box 4776 within an hour, tops.