• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Known Sellers of Counterfeit Coins
2 2

86 posts in this topic

At the suggestion of Mr. Lange, I have decided to start a thread listing known websites and individuals who sell counterfeit coins. This is done so that future readers of this forum will have advance warning about this problem. Please add any site or seller that you know to be selling fake coins.

I will start with these three:

Etsy.

While I am sure that there are legitimate coin sellers on this site, it seems that most of the coins I have seen are fakes. '43 copper cents, 44 steel cents, and others are plentiful. To quote from another post:

On 6/19/2018 at 8:58 PM, Mohawk said:

Please, everyone, when it comes to coins, just stay off of Etsy.......you'll save yourself a lot of trouble!

Edited by Just Bob

Aliexpress

This is a website designed to allow people in China to set up businesses to drop ship Chinese goods all over the world. That includes Chinese-made counterfeit coins. It is the retail arm of Alibaba, a BTB site. There are NO real US coins on this website.

DHGate

This is another Chinese site that is similar to the one above. It also DOES NOT have legitimate coins.

Please feel free to add any and all known counterfeiters.

Hi Bob,

This thread is a great idea, and you already named my arch nemesis Etsy!  I would also like to add sites like Let It Go and Offer Up......a lot of fakes end up on those sites as well.

~Tom

Chinese seller "Da Vinci Jewelry Antique Collection" on the auction site Liveauctioneers.com. Counterfeit Trade dollars, Morgans, patterns,  etc.

Edited by Just Bob
Waiting to see what the auction site does about it.

This is the link to the Code of Federal Regulations page for the  Hobby Protection Act and it's reform the Collectible Coin Protection Act.

This defines what is an acceptable reproduction and the laws concerning them. The FTC is supposed to enforce this, but I don't think they care to. 

HPA/CCPA

49 minutes ago, Edthelorax said:

This is the link to the Code of Federal Regulations page for the  Hobby Protection Act and it's reform the Collectible Coin Protection Act.

This defines what is an acceptable reproduction and the laws concerning them. The FTC is supposed to enforce this, but I don't think they care to. 

HPA/CCPA

Thank you for that link. Now I (and others)can locate it much more easily.

Should I just keep editing a single post of counterfeit ebay sellers or make a new comment for each? I have a ton of them but won't put a seller that has one fake occasionally or has questionable items. Only  the ones that are attempting to defraud with provable counterfeits. 

Ebay sellers of counterfeits:

I know we all know not to buy a $5 Morgan from China, but I thought you may enjoy this seller's inventory pic.

Seller: ssa-shop

100 1928 Peace dollars $900 OBO What a bargan

AKA:  flloura

1879Morganfake1.thumb.gif.a618082e64505c5be86617c9cbc66164.gifUT8TCWwXllXXXagOFbX4.jpg

Edited by Edthelorax
continuing list

On 2/10/2019 at 11:48 PM, Edthelorax said:

Should I just keep editing a single post of counterfeit ebay sellers or make a new comment for each? I have a ton of them but won't put a seller that has one fake occasionally or has questionable items. Only  the ones that are attempting to defraud with provable counterfeits. 

Since editing a post does not mark it as "unread," I would suggest making a new post. That way, current users will see it and be aware.

I agree that a seller that has a fake coin that they are not aware of should not be blackballed. If they are made aware of it and still refuse to pull it, and if it DEFINITELY is a fake, then they should be listed, in my opinion. I don't want to give a bad reputation to someone who does not deserve it, but sellers who knowingly sell fakes deserve to be outed.  

Since i posted that name 19 hours ago, that seller had 4 items removed by ebay and will have another 9 removed tomorrow morning, 4 of which are reposts of the 4 from yesterday. 

From now on, I will post the seller name as a title and a link to their items as the body. Posting pictures is too cumbersome as I have to download them and resize. Kinks to the items won't last 24 hrs as they get removed.

Often I just go for the items that are easy for me to prove counterfeit. I'm sure there are other counterfeits and other people that can prove them as such with grater ease that I can.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/jaxmydog209/m.html?item=123642260442&hash=item1cc9a72bda%3Ag%3AypkAAOSwkGJcYs0Q%3Ark%3A1%3Apf%3A1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Great thread Bob! Keep up the good work and keep this at the front of the counterfeit threads if you are able to. I was attacked by the ebay community for calling out a seller with a counterfeit (which is absolutely ridiculous for people to not want to maintain the integrity of this great hobby), so now I just report when I see counterfeits and I don't feel I need to explain myself to anyone, nor do I feel the least bit remorse for reporting the listings. 

I'd like to add one to your list, even though I have never ever bothered to look up coins on it, and am not sure if there are even any on the site, but I wouldn't trust Craigslist even if they had a money back guarantee.

Because of the cracking down, cheaper apps such as Letgo & other sites are selling the exact fakes from eBay. Amazon had some fakes from China. Just FYI Bob. All European or Asian apps I would not buy from unless given the ok by NGC.

Probably old news, but a few weeks back I was digging on eBay looking for coins being sold by non-collectors that may have been placed under an incorrect category.  Turns out the subcategory Antiques>Asian Antiques includes quite a bit counterfeit currency & mintage.  However, they tend to include a word such as "Souvenir" or "Collectible" in the title/description.  I presume this is a way to maintain legal liability against selling a counterfeit.  A lot of the 1909 S VDB "Souvenir" "coins" are created in a way to appear brown & circulated so it's something to be aware of.

19 hours ago, CRAWTOMATIC said:

I presume this is a way to maintain legal liability against selling a counterfeit.

If they were made after 1973 and they aren't marked, they are still illegal and calling them "souvenir" doesn't get you off the hook.

Ebay seller mjbruns has 17 counterfeits listed. Claims:

"I THINK THIS IS A COPY BUT THEY ARE NOT MARKED AS SO. I HAVE MORE THAN ONE SO YOU MIGHT NOT GET THE ONE PICTURED BUT IT WILL BE OF SAME QUALITY. "

Anyone that has multiples of 17 different coins knows very well that they are counterfeit. 

20 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Reported and the seller has been contacted.

Bob, could you please PM me? I can get counterfeits removed but there are procedures that I have to follow. I won't be able to post here if it interferes with procedure. I can explain more in PM.

Thank You,   Ed

At least this seller (foxcoins) admits he is selling fakes. It is very likely the buyer will re-list them and scam someone. The 6 counterfeits should be gone on 5/5/19.

775419.jpg.e98b2f741547a456850cb214ed742d14.jpg