• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How about a "slab" in a "slab?

11 posts in this topic

Here's a suggestion for both of the major third party graders.  How about designing a slab that would fit the other guys slab.  Example, I have a PCGS graded coin that is not allowed in NGC's registry.  But I'm afraid to submit it to NGC for cross over because they might down grade it out of spite.  Wouldn't it be nice to leave it in it's original PCGS slab, but have NGC grade it to their standards and slab it in a special NGC slab that fits PCGS plastic.  That way you can retain the original PCGS grade and certificate number, and add NGC's opinion of grade with certificate number.  Put the coin into whatever "REGISTRY" you prefer.  What do you think?

25 minutes ago, dleonard-3 said:

Here's a suggestion for both of the major third party graders.  How about designing a slab that would fit the other guys slab.  Example, I have a PCGS graded coin that is not allowed in NGC's registry.  But I'm afraid to submit it to NGC for cross over because they might down grade it out of spite.  Wouldn't it be nice to leave it in it's original PCGS slab, but have NGC grade it to their standards and slab it in a special NGC slab that fits PCGS plastic.  That way you can retain the original PCGS grade and certificate number, and add NGC's opinion of grade with certificate number.  Put the coin into whatever "REGISTRY" you prefer.  What do you think?

Or perhaps a sticker on the reverse with the same information, to conserve room. Slabs take up a lot of space as it is.

How about an opaque slab. Then it could have any coin listed on the label and nobody would argue.... ?

A competitors slab encased in their slab will never happen as there is too much competition for market share. You'll have to send it in for a crossover or send it in raw to get the label desired.

On 4/24/2018 at 2:49 PM, dleonard-3 said:

Two layers of scratched plastic to admire my coins through? I think one is more than enough!

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 6:49 PM, mumu said:

How much money do you win for winning the registry

None.  But for some (me), there is that "bragging rights" thing.  It's nice to know that I have a few small collections that are among the best in the world.