• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Registered mail behaving badly......again.......

18 posts in this topic

Good Morning Folks,

I shipped off a registered package of coins last Thursday, 8/4. It was heavy enough, so it qualified as a mandatory priority. I know that doesn't mean anything when it comes to registry. I decided to track the package on Monday of this week, 8/8. It only showed as 'acceptance' with an expected delivery date of Saturday, 8/6. Sure......

I just checked the tracking again, and sure enough, the package has not even moved !!! It's still sitting here in Buffalo. We're all supposed to be surprised when we hear how many billions the PO lost this year. Every once in a while I start to think about privatizing. Please hold the flames all you PO employees. I'm not criticizing the job you do, honest.....

Paul

Registered mail does not always show the same constant updating of the online tracking that other service tiers do. While they can track it internally, it is not unusual for a Registered package to not show any movement until it suddenly shows up at the destination PO.

Registered mail does not always show the same constant updating of the online tracking that other service tiers do. While they can track it internally, it is not unusual for a Registered package to not show any movement until it suddenly shows up at the destination PO.

Well, that is certainly true. When checking the tracking this morning though, there was a separate blue box that showed up, like a pop-up on the page, saying that this was being delayed, and the current zip code location was the same place as when it was shipped. I think it was placed in a vault and ignored.

Paul

As I understand it, Registered Mail "has" to be locked up at every stop it makes on it's journey. At some stops (I'm talking to you New York City) it's commonplace for postal employees to leave the registered packages in the cage for days on end before moving them along. Then again, many destinations move packages from one major city to another, then to a regional facility to a local facility often in the same town.

It's definitely the slowest of the snail mail choices and the declaration of 2 days is just misleading and totally untrue.

Unless the contents are valuable beyond your pain threshold Priority Mail should be your choice.

After I saw that the package had not moved, I opted in for email updates on it's progress. On Thursday night it went from here to Chicago. At least, that's what the PO email told me. Eight or nine states to go......

I live 60.7 miles from NGC and when I send them a registered package, it usually takes 4 business days for them to receive it.

Benny

Hi Benny,

Don't get me started on Sarasota, lol. I've had some crazy long times shipping to NGC, but there is something wrong with the route from Buffalo to Sarasota. Some years back, I shipped a registered package to a customer in Sarasota, 25k.....Took 3 1/2 weeks, and in the meantime, no one could tell me where it was. I was really getting scared.

Paul

I'm told shipping to and from Florida in general is very slow. My recent registered to NGC in Sarasota was 10-12 days out and the same back compared to 5 working days out to California. Postal people don't know why but just say it is so.

I understand completely Paul. It does seem like the route a registered package takes has a lot to do with delivery time, not so much the distance.

It is just the way of the USPS and not to be understood by others.

I must add, however, that I have never had a "reggie" that did not arrive....eventually. :whee:

Benny

RE: "... there is something wrong with the route from Buffalo to Sarasota."

This is caused by "lake effect" summer snow on I-90. But instead of show drifts, they have blizzards of orange snow cones.

I heard that one of the more economical shipping methods is FedEx ground under $20 and takes around 3 days;

But is a lot less secure.

Wheeee....delivered today....8-16......

I thought I saw a 'parcel-post' turtle on the side of the thruway today.......

That's the snail riding on the back of the turtle...."Wheeeee"

I once sent in a crucial insurance premium by registered, from Idaho to Louisiana, foolishly imagining that it would receive high priority treatment. It took three weeks. Oh, I'm sure they were going to be very careful not to lose it, but the extra cost for registered almost bought me a late premium in spite of acting well in advance. I wouldn't send anything registered now unless I were okay with a month of travel time.

I was talking with a friend's brother who sent a postal money order state to state a couple months ago for $500 that never arrived. I would think that anyone who mis-appropriated it would not be able to get away with that. The postal inspector said something about one month not being enough time before they would do their work to find who cashed it.