• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Found this 1916 Mercury in an album

21 posts in this topic

I was browsing through an album at a B&M last year and found this Mercury (along with several other nice Mercs) in the album. The images are by Bob Campbell, and I think he did an excellent job.

bc1916_rME1o5t_zpsrclphuq7.jpgbc1916_rME1r4t_zpsb9hwnton.jpg

Thank you guys for your kind comments!

Nice. Did you buy the entire album?

Nope, just a few pieces.

Were there other nice dimes hiding there, or was this the best "keeper?"

There were a couple nice ones from the 1940's.

The relief was higher in 1916.

I didn't know '16s were higher relief. Were those the only Mercs that were struck with high relief dies ?

Early 1917s were also in higher relief. Pick up a copy of David W. Lange's book on Mercury Dimes -- the full details of varieties are in there.

Sweet Sy!!! Full Bands???

The pic of the reverse is accurate. I'd say a decent shot at FB, but certainly not a slam dunk.

The pic of the reverse is accurate. I'd say a decent shot at FB, but certainly not a slam dunk.

I disagree. To me, if it is an accurate photo it is most definitely a "slam dunk".

Early 1917s were also in higher relief. Pick up a copy of David W. Lange's book on Mercury Dimes -- the full details of varieties are in there.

Yeah, David Lange told me once he had hoped that new info in the books would like to a wider collector reaction to those different types. It really didn't....and I've always found that a bit odd.

jom

Sy, if that ain't full bands, I don't know what is.

Gorgeous coin.