• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

For those of you who love CAC...

216 posts in this topic

How many took the hit ? Did it just go from 67+ to 65+ in one transaction or did it take numerous losers to absorb a PCGS catastrophe ?

The grade increased - it didn't decrease.

Then again the seller who sold it as a 65+ lost money when PCGS didn't get it right the first time (assuming of course it is now correctly graded). That's as much as a "catastrophe" as the other way around.

jom

How many took the hit ? Did it just go from 67+ to 65+ in one transaction or did it take numerous losers to absorb a PCGS catastrophe ?

The grade increased - it didn't decrease.

Then again the seller who sold it as a 65+ lost money when PCGS didn't get it right the first time (assuming of course it is now correctly graded). That's as much as a "catastrophe" as the other way around.

jom

Granted this is a catastrophe but this is CACs whole claim to fame, his business is to make sure the TPG got it right which from what I hear he shouldn't make many if any mistakes. He takes notes on each coin, he can recall every coin he's seen, you can call him up and he can discuss each detail of a coin you submitted which held it from getting a green bean. If you can do all that and you're the savant of the coin world you better not miss a coin by 2 freaking points. What good is JA opinion really? It's rather meaningless in the big picture. I would be lights out pissed if I had a coin sent to JA and paid for an opinion which in part says I'll let you know if it's a full point under graded and a few months later it's on the market graded 2!!!!! Points higher and with an opinion it's solid for the grade (another green bean).

You would not have to be lights out pissed. John buys his mistakes because he is a fair man.

At wholesale prices...what a deal! lol

You would not have to be lights out pissed. John buys his mistakes because he is a fair man.

How does he buy a coin you no longer own. If I was the seller of the 65+ coin I would have no garauntee from JA. Just a oops I didn't realize at the time it was under graded 2 points so I didn't give it a gold bean but on second look a few months later it sure looks like a solid 67 my bad so sorry.

I have done better at selling to CAC than any place else, including Heritage, Great Collections and Ebay. Ha, dont be so sure of yourself, brg5658.....

Is that recently or historically? There have been threads more recently that have indicated that CAC refused to even make offers on some stickered coins.

I also know of many people who have received generic white coin wholesale offers on superbly toned eye appealing coins. I have never heard anyone rave about how much money they made by selling their coins to CAC.

Let's see an exceptionally toned silver coin that CAC "paid up for"...please show us. hm

I have done better at selling to CAC than any place else, including Heritage, Great Collections and Ebay. Ha, dont be so sure of yourself, brg5658.....

It depends on what you sell. John is or was very strong on his offers for classic commemoratives. Many of the offers that I received in the past were very strong as you say; however, his offers have dropped considerably and more so than I think the market did in the corresponding time frame. I think his offers may have been too strong previously and he may have overcorrected. Either way, CAC bids aren't, in my experience and opinion, what the bids once were.

Is that recently or historically? There have been threads more recently that have indicated that CAC refused to even make offers on some stickered coins.

On information and belief, there is more to the stories than suggested. There is a difference between refusing outright to make an offer and telling you that dealer XYZ will pay more than CAC will. The latter is just being decent.

With that said, there is no CAC "guarantee" and it has no legal obligation to make offers although it has historically done so. At least it is more forthright (IMHO) than PCGS offering a guarantee and seeking to amend it away later into oblivion. Nevertheless, it is important that collectors do understand that there is no CAC guarantee.

I also know of many people who have received generic white coin wholesale offers on superbly toned eye appealing coins. I have never heard anyone rave about how much money they made by selling their coins to CAC.

If you are selling widgets or coins with okay eye appeal that are not the tip top of the eye appeal scale, then it is possible in some cases to make more than you would if you consigned to auction historically after fees (but see the caveat in my other post).

With this said, you are spot on about toned coins. CAC admittedly will not pay up for additional eye appeal. IMHO, that is a flaw in his marketing paradigm, but that is his choice. I would never, ever attempt to sell a very eye appealing toned coin to CAC as I can almost guarantee that I can do better as a BIN-OBO on eBay with enough time.

IMHO, CAC's utility as applied to toned coins is very limited, although in some cases it may provide a CAC-dependent collector the confidence boost necessary to execute a transaction that John felt the toning was natural.

On information and belief, there is more to the stories than suggested. There is a difference between refusing outright to make an offer and telling you that dealer XYZ will pay more than CAC will. The latter is just being decent.

With that said, there is no CAC "guarantee" and it has no legal obligation to make offers although it has historically done so. At least it is more forthright (IMHO) than PCGS offering a guarantee and seeking to amend it away later into oblivion. Nevertheless, it is important that collectors do understand that there is no CAC guarantee.

If you are selling widgets or coins with okay eye appeal that are not the tip top of the eye appeal scale, then it is possible in some cases to make more than you would if you consigned to auction historically after fees (but see the caveat in my other post).

With this said, you are spot on about toned coins. CAC admittedly will not pay up for additional eye appeal. IMHO, that is a flaw in his marketing paradigm, but that is his choice. I would never, ever attempt to sell a very eye appealing toned coin to CAC as I can almost guarantee that I can do better as a BIN-OBO on eBay with enough time.

IMHO, CAC's utility as applied to toned coins is very limited, although in some cases it may provide a CAC-dependent collector the confidence boost necessary to execute a transaction that John felt the toning was natural.

I agree about CAC not paying premiums over their regular bid prices for color coins which might bring large premiums elsewhere. However, the percentage of such coins which fall under this category is extremely small. So people can pick on them all they want for that, while ignoring the typically strong prices they pay for the the large majority of non-premium color coins.

I agree about CAC not paying premiums over their regular bid prices for color coins which might bring large premiums elsewhere. However, the percentage of such coins which fall under this category is extremely small. So people can pick on them all they want for that, while ignoring the typically strong prices they pay for the the large majority of non-premium color coins.

Thank you.

mark

Er, ah, how is he going to buy the coin we are discussing from the original seller at 65? That seller does not have it any longer. So your statement does not make any sense.

Best, HT

Have you ever dealt with John? You would be surprised what he does for people....

I requested offers from CAC on some coins they beaned last year. They offered somewhere around CDN wholesale for ultra pq coins. I politely said no. For one of them, I was offered around $500 for from CAC, I then sold to a dealer, who recognized the quality, and gave me $1500 for it. He quickly sold it for $1700. Granted I did not talk to John personally, but I have not found CAC offers for supposedly CAC higher quality coins to be anything worth going for......

Best, HT

I will repeat, CAC did not offer me strong prices on my CAC coins - all 19th century less common date copper and silver in grades from 55 to 64. People keep saying CAC pays strong money, but I don't see it first hand. (shrug)

The best way to sell coins is to work with a good dealer or to sell them yourself. The latter takes some effort, but I have typically got 30% more that published wholesale, or sometimes even higher, for my coins for listing them myself at various venues. HST, several of the dealers I have bought from will buy back these coins at very strong prices, sometimes more than I paid. Thems the dealers to work with, not a generic wholesaler like CAC, albeit even if they are generic for only CAC coins.

Best, HT

Seems a fruitful business model:

Send me your coins so I can put a sticker on the ones I like as high quality for the assigned grade. Oh, and if you ever do decide to sell these nicer-than-average coins let me know, and I'll pay you CDN wholesale for generic not-nicer-than-average coins of the same type.

I understand CAC is a business and they need to make money some way, but c'mon! Are you all really falling for this mularky? The dealers I want to deal with are the ones who will pay me a fair price even when I peel off the little John Albanese shiny seal of approval. I don't get the demi-god status of this guy and his cult-like followers.

But you say: "CAC coins sell for more at auction"...

Well, duh! They are nicer coins presumably. But do we really need a shiny green (or gold) sticker on the plastic to be able to tell that? It seems all a circular fallacy of logic to me.

The green sticker really means it's "organic." ;)

CAC has a great business model: Have people pay to send their coins, sticker the ones CAC likes and can easily resell at a nice profit, and offer to buy those as if they were "ordinary." This is the "private chef" class of business - much like the guy who hired actors to hype the Kennedy gold pieces.

Send me your coins so I can put a sticker on the ones I like as high quality for the assigned grade. Oh, and if you ever do decide to sell these nicer-than-average coins let me know, and I'll pay you CDN wholesale for generic not-nicer-than-average coins of the same type.

I understand CAC is a business and they need to make money some way, but c'mon! Are you all really falling for this mularky? The dealers I want to deal with are the ones who will pay me a fair price even when I peel off the little John Albanese shiny seal of approval. I don't get the demi-god status of this guy and his cult-like followers.

Well, duh! They are nicer coins presumably. But do we really need a shiny green (or gold) sticker on the plastic to be able to tell that? It seems all a circular fallacy of logic to me.

The "CDN wholesale" you refer to is often based on CAC bids. If the CAC bids weren't present, the CDN prices might be considerably lower. So bidding CDN prices isn't necessarily bidding low wholesale, as you seem to be implying. And non-CAC coins often sell at lower than CDN levels, many of them, considerably lower.

As far as "falling for this mularky" - many of the most knowledgeable and sharpest dealers and collectors in the country choose to sell to CAC. They're not nearly as dumb as you seem to think they are. Thank you, but I think I'll give their collective wisdom the benefit of the doubt over yours or any other individual's.

The "CDN wholesale" you refer to is often based on CAC bids. If the CAC bids weren't present, the CDN prices might be considerably lower. So bidding CDN prices isn't necessarily bidding low wholesale, as you seem to be implying. And non-CAC coins often sell at lower than CDN levels, many of them, considerably lower.

As far as "falling for this mularky" - many of the most knowledgeable and sharpest dealers and collectors in the country choose to sell to CAC. They're not nearly as dumb as you seem to think they are. Thank you, but I think I'll give their collective wisdom the benefit of the doubt over yours or any other individual's.

My retort was going to be good. Yours was brilliant. I defer.

mark

"They are nicer coins presumably. But do we really need a shiny green (or gold) sticker on the plastic to be able to tell that? It seems all a circular fallacy of logic to me."

I suspect that many collectors do.

CAC, and the TPGs for that matter, give collectors with a lack of confidence in their ability to grade coins some assurance that the coins they are buying are market viable. They are not buying slabs and stickers, they are buying validation.

And to contrast, I had an hour long discussion with an incredibly knowledgeable high end dealer at FUN this year that thought CAC was exactly what Brandon just spelled out. He is a long time numismatist with as much knowledge as anyone on the floor, and does not agree with the collective wisdom and benefit of the doubt of the other most knowledgeable and sharpest dealers and collectors in the country. He buys the coin, not the sticker and showed me many a stunner that did not have a sticker on it and made his points as to how CAC is actually doing damage to the hobby of coin collecting, low end and high end. So there are many opinions out there Mr. Feld, and while certainly the collectors and dealers you speak of go with the market factors present today, equals don't.

Now HST, JA is an excellent opinion to get on a coin. And if a coin does not have a CAC sticker, I want to know why because I agree with him 80% of the time yea and nay. But make no bones about it, 100% of why he does this is for marketing and making money. Some dealers and collectors follow, some don't. Is this good for collectors? Only time will tell............

Best, HT

mark

Refer to the post by HardTimes with a real-life example of being offered 1/3 the amount from CAC that he then sold the coin for to another reputable dealer.

And of course dealers like the CAC idea -- it gives them yet another reason to ask even more for the coins they are peddling. And, many of the coins dealers are selling to CAC are likely coins for which they paid 1/3 or 1/2 the actual value in the first place to some poor collector (or collector's heirs). I get that the dealer networks are an unregulated good-ole-boys club.

You think we don't see the "hot-potato" game of constant churn in the market? If these coins are so darn great, why is it that they go from auction, to dealer, back for regrades, back to dealer, back to auction, then regrades, then back to auction, ad infinitum...until they are absolutely maxed out in grade and some sucker collector purchases himself a "buried" coin. The game is just always to hope that the hot-potato ends up in the hands of a collector (not a dealer) when the proverbial hot-potato timer rings. I think you are confusing "collective cronyism" for wisdom...

HT has made many excellent points. His experience will differ from others.

Brandon, out of curiosity how many US coins do you own percentage wise to your overall collection?

mark

Brandon, out of curiosity how many US coins do you own percentage wise to your overall collection?

mark

Until about 5.5 years ago, 100% of my collection was USA coinage. The shenanigans and slimey business tactics in the way USA coinage is hawked has really turned me off in the past 1.5 years or so, and I'm in the process of slowly selling off most all of my USA coins. As of now, I'd estimate about 15% of my ~800 slabbed coins are US coins.

mark

Refer to the post by HardTimes with a real-life example of being offered 1/3 the amount from CAC that he then sold the coin for to another reputable dealer.

And of course dealers like the CAC idea -- it gives them yet another reason to ask even more for the coins they are peddling. And, many of the coins dealers are selling to CAC are likely coins for which they paid 1/3 or 1/2 the actual value in the first place to some poor collector (or collector's heirs). I get that the dealer networks are an unregulated good-ole-boys club.

You think we don't see the "hot-potato" game of constant churn in the market? If these coins are so darn great, why is it that they go from auction, to dealer, back for regrades, back to dealer, back to auction, then regrades, then back to auction, ad infinitum...until they are absolutely maxed out in grade and some sucker collector purchases himself a "buried" coin. The game is just always to hope that the hot-potato ends up in the hands of a collector (not a dealer) when the proverbial hot-potato timer rings. I think you are confusing "collective cronyism" for wisdom...

There will be countless coins that CAC isn't interested in buying and/or for which they won't pay a strong price. Whatever coins HardTimes had likely weren't generic and/or were of quality and/or eye appeal that commanded strong premiums. And yet the large majority of coins for sale aren't in that category.

Regardless of what dealers pay for their coins - as in your 1/3 or 1/2 of fair value - they wouldn't be selling them to CAC if the prices obtained weren't competitive.

The "hot potato" scenario you outlined is an unfortunate part of the business, but has nothing to do with CAC. It applies to both non CAC, as well as CAC coins. It applies to just about any coin that has significant upside in terms of dollars.

You seem to want people to believe that on one hand, CAC doesn't tend to pay competitive prices, but that on the other hand, they do. You can't have it both ways.

mark

Until about 5.5 years ago, 100% of my collection was USA coinage. The shenanigans and slimey business tactics in the way USA coinage is hawked has really turned me off in the past 1.5 years or so, and I'm in the process of slowly selling off most all of my USA coins. As of now, I'd estimate about 15% of my ~800 slabbed coins are US coins.

That would have been my guess. Not a lot of skin in the game. Carry on

mark

I have known John Albanese for about 35 years. During that time, the number of people I know who have talked to him or met him and had something negative to say about him could be counted on one hand. And yes, I'm sure there are others I'm not aware of.

The vast majority of his detractors (including those who are so certain it's all about the money for him) have neither spoken to him nor met him. That doesn't say it all, but it says a great deal.

I have known John Albanese for about 35 years. During that time, the number of people I know who have talked to him or met him and had something negative to say about him could be counted on one hand. And yes, I'm sure there are others I'm not aware of.

The vast majority of his detractors (including those who are so certain it's all about the money for him) have neither spoken to him nor met him. That doesn't say it all, but it says a great deal.

At the inception of CAC I was skeptical. I happened to attend Summer ANA in Colorado that year as Larry Shepherd was teaching a commem class. John also held a seminar to explain CAC and what he looked for in a solid for the grade coin. I happened to sit next to Larry and near John Dannreuther. After the presentation I showed the most unusual Walker to Shepherd and JD. They were puzzled. They called over other coin luminaries to look at it. The cream of the crop. Advanced collectors alike. A crowd gathered. The coin was passed around. No one had an answer for the unusual appearance of the coin. Finally JD said, " let's show it to John Albanese, he will know". Everyone agreed.

A thought about it a lot that night. Geez, all these Board of Expert guys from both services , Head of the ANA, top dealers, top collectors thought enough to defer to the expertise of John Albanese. From that moment on I felt CAC had a chance. John also happens to be a gentlemen.

Mark