• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you grade this 1883-CC Morgan Dollar?

50 posts in this topic

I have an 1883-CC Morgan Dollar that I picked up. It is raw, and has just been sent in to be graded across the street. I posted this particular coin ATS as well with a big mix of opinions. I thought I would see what you guys thought of it.

1883-CC-Morgan-Dollar-Obverse.jpg

1883-CC-Morgan-Dollar-Reverse.jpg

64 is the best I think you could hope for as it's seen a dip too many based on the pics. I hope I'm wrong and you score higher. Let us know the results. I would enjoy being wrong on this occasion

Good luck

mark

What is going on in the left obverse fields? How is the luster in hand? These two aspects concern me. It is possible that the coin is over dipped which would put it in the MS64 range, but I would not rule out a possible cleaning and UNC details grade.

If the images are misleading and the coin has full, unimpeded luster, then I could see the piece grading as high as MS67 given the exceptionally clean surfaces and sharp strike.

I do want to put out the fact that this coin was photographed using axial lighting with a touch of standard lighting. Because of that, the luster is subdued. I shot it this way to show off the surface details as much as possible without having areas blown out by the luster. The lust on this Morgan is outstanding and give full bright cartwheels.

That area in front of her face on the obverse is an area of discoloration, light toning. I examined the entire coin using a 10X loupe and there are 0 hairlines.

If the luster is there and nothing (such as cleaning) is hidden by the images, it looks like a superb coin - approximately MS67.

The coin looks superb gem from the pictures. I will also politely mention that there is a separate forum for GTG threads called Hey Buddy Can You Spare A Grade?

Nice coin and fine photos! Very nice GSA coin. VAMpires would love all the clashes and die scratches.

It is impossible to judge the luster from those otherwise excellent pictures. If the luster is strong and attractive, I don't see why this wouldn't be a 67.

It is impossible to judge the luster from those otherwise excellent pictures. If the luster is strong and attractive, I don't see why this wouldn't be a 67.

This (thumbs u

64 is the best I think you could hope for as it's seen a dip too many based on the pics. I hope I'm wrong and you score higher. Let us know the results. I would enjoy being wrong on this occasion

Good luck

mark

I see from your post from ATS that the coin came back genuine/cleaned. It was made to look like a 67. That was my greatest fear for you. Sorry it didn't work out. I had my fingers and toes crossed for you

mark

Thank you MJ. Yes, it came back with bad news. I didn't get over here yet until just now to update. I will refrain from turning this thread into what the other ATS has become.

The news sucks and some were right. I'll give it one more shot before I declare a win or a loss.

Thank you MJ. Yes, it came back with bad news. I didn't get over here yet until just now to update. I will refrain from turning this thread into what the other ATS has become.

The news sucks and some were right. I'll give it one more shot before I declare a win or a loss.

Not the end of the world

regardless. Good luck.

Mark

If the luster is there and nothing (such as cleaning) is hidden by the images, it looks like a superb coin - approximately MS67.

I agree, a solid MS67. I doubt the rim ding and contact marks on the very top of

reverse above the letters ES would hold it back for for the strike is outstanding!

I agree, a solid MS67. I doubt the rim ding and contact marks on the very top of

reverse above the letters ES would hold it back for for the strike is outstanding!

The coin was graded as cleaned. No numerical grade. It was messed with

mark

Rim bump on reverse might keep it from grading 67 or higher.

Would die polish and clash mark keep it away from superb ?

Rim bump on reverse might keep it from grading 67 or higher.

Would die polish and clash mark keep it away from superb ?

For the third time the coin is not a 67, 66, 65, 64 or any other grade at this point. It didn't grade as it was deemed as messed/ cleaned with which was not surprising.

mark

MJ, let me get this straight: You don't think the coin will grade 66+ when first submitted to PCGS? :)

Maybe you ought to pm the results of the submission to everyone. It might save you time ... (another :) )

Mark

MJ, let me get this straight: You don't think the coin will grade 66+ when first submitted to PCGS? :)

Maybe you ought to pm the results of the submission to everyone. It might save you time ... (another :) )

Mark

Already came back cleaned form pcgs. Thread ats

Mark

At this rate I might have to. :makepoint:

mark

I will be sending it our hosts over here, where I think I will get the grade it deserves.

The luster looks subdued/off in the newly posted images. And the PCGS images often make coins look lighter and brighter than they appear in hand.

I would bet that NGC got it right and that you will receive a similar result at PCGS. Either that, or the coin will receive a low unc. grade, which accounts for a cleaning.

Thanks mumu. Next time I need someone to read to me a post that is directly above mine, can I call you again? :grin:

Mark

The subdued luster is the first thing that jumps out followed by the dark spot (which looks like impaired luster) in front of Miss Liberty in your original images. The interruption in luster is an excellent indication of a cleaning even if hairlines are not there. Assuming the spot commented on was an artifact in the images, even if it were to straight grade, I cannot see a grade higher than MS64 because of the luster issues discussed above.