• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does this toning look terminal?

14 posts in this topic

Yea I don't see any damage yet but would watch it periodically the next few years. I don't care for the black toning either. Starts getting too close to environmental damage. It probably won't stop the toning but I would start to think about putting it in an airtite to slow it down if it were mine.

Nice original coin. Wasn't one of the holders conducive to continued toning? I thought most all of the plastic coins are put in would not cause any effect except for possible moisture issues?

I didn't notice this was already in a holder. I would think the slab would slow the progression but I don't think that it will ever stop. If I ever got concerned enough, and providing it's value is worth it, conservation would also be another alternative.

Rapidly on its way, if you want it conserved you better do it now

Don't waste your money on "conservation." The dark toning around the rim has eaten into the metal, and the coin will look worse after it has been dipped.

Thank you everyone for your replies, personally it is not a coin I would be interested in. However some of you have said you like the look, so if you don't already know, you can find it on HA.