• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toned Franklin half GTG

12 posts in this topic

I see a large contact mark in the obverse field and some chatter on Franklin's bust that cap it at MS65 for me. Some of this has toned over somewhat, so the TPG may be more forgiving depending on how it looks in hand and you might squeak by with a MS65+.

But that sure is a big fingerprint. lol Nice looking Frankie!

I am not sure what causes this type of toning on the reverse, but I do think it might have been from mint set packaging. I do see it from time to time.

I am not sure what causes this type of toning on the reverse, but I do think it might have been from mint set packaging. I do see it from time to time.

Yes, the lines are much too straight to be a fingerprint.

I'll say MS 66. Not sure if it has enough color for the STAR, although the toning is quite attractive.

wow, another stunner! I would say they gave it 65 with a star but I'm hard on these since their fields were so wide open and show almost any mark- that hit right in from of Franklin's mouth would be a stopper for me, but I'd still buy the coin for the color alone no matter it was graded 4 or 5 (or 6 if that's the case)

I used to search for beautifully toned mint sets and I think most of the time the toning was caused by the tissue paper that these were often kept wrapped in. It had just the right amount of impurities (sulfur primarily) and breathability to allow air to filter through and cause the surface to oxidize slowly, producing some of the most beautiful toning on any coins found today.