• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bochiman et al. drinking the Kool Aid ATS..........

132 posts in this topic

I don't think I've ever heard anyone bash pcgs on this forum like they bash ngc ats....

You mean like the following from this very thread?:

"Most ats have thier noses in the air!..."

"Do those guys form a line to at the PCGS luncheons and literally get on their knees and kiss David Hall's buttocks as he walks by?"

"Yes, there are more posters over there however, the classy ones are here."

Don't sell this forum short in the bashing department. ;)

My comment was directed at pcgs coins. I should have put the word coins in to clarify.

Oh, then you mean like this (from this thread)?

"PCGS lets more AT garbage into their slabs than NGC... but few talk about that."

Darn, there is that pesky logic thing again. It always gets in the way.

In order to avoid confrontation, I once had an acquaintance who used to walk in the middle of the road...eventually as expected, he was run over.

Sometimes, confrontation can be avoided in the future by confronting in the present.

The middle of the road is not the cause of being run over. It is the vehicle. Some vehicles need the air let out of the tires, some need air added. And some need the blind operator replaced.

Cryptics can work in a variety of ways.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone bash pcgs on this forum like they bash ngc ats....

"Do those guys form a line to at the PCGS luncheons and literally get on their knees and kiss David Hall's buttocks as he walks by?"

My comment was directed at pcgs coins. I should have put the word coins in to clarify.

Oh, then you mean like this (from this thread)?

"PCGS lets more AT garbage into their slabs than NGC... but few talk about that."

Those are someone elses words not mind. I also very very seldom see these kind of comments here until the comments ats are introduced here. I have respect for both grading companies but my opinion of coins in either slab is just that, My Opinion. I don't understand why people can bash coins in a slab from a picture on the internet and determine that its garbage grading. I know you don't justify those doing it or you would still be ats Mark, but really, have you honestly seen the bashing being normal topics here than what goes on over there?

PCGS wears NGC pajamas to bed.... let's see if the know it all has a comeback for this :devil:

If you have a point to make, make it.

He is right here.

You apparently have something to relay. What is it?

Lame :boo:

PCGS wears NGC pajamas to bed.... let's see if the know it all has a comeback for this :devil:

He is right here.

I understand. You don't have a point.

You just decided to mouth off, and got called on it.

No problem. I don't mind and never did mind being called names.

It is part of life.

I do try to be courteous, to those that are of like mind.

To those that are not, or have a desire to bully or attack others, I admit to not walking in the middle of the road.

If it offends you, don't read what I post, and don't respond. No reason for you to waste your time.

He is right here.

It is part of life.

To those that are not, or have a desire to bully or attack others, I admit to not walking in the middle of the road.

If it offends you, don't read what I post, and don't respond. No reason for you to waste your time.

Because Bill Jones is a Bully right? He stated what he wanted and you go all Rambo him... chill out man

He is right here.

It is part of life.

Because Bill Jones is a Bully right? He stated what he wanted and you go all Rambo him... chill out man

I see. I offended a friend, by asking him to explain what was the point of a Post.

I would think if he wanted to answer, he would. Rambo? Chill out man?

Think what you will. It is not important.

It couldn't be that he might have been hinting at a failure of grading by PCGS, as opposed to NGC, would it?

How would that be helpful to the issue being discussed?

I use to bash David Hall personally on his own forum. I did it to his face at a Long Beach show which resulted in my banning ATS.

I have no issues with being called out on it. I do have a chip on my shoulder. I think he's a insufficiently_thoughtful_person for his toned Peace $ comment. What TPG company executive would actually go on the record and say that - knowing full well that his own company has graded toned Peace $ ? Its astounding.

But his comments wouldnt prevent me from buying PCGS coins or even submitting to them. They are much easier on toning than NGC.

I use to bash David Hall personally on his own forum. I did it to his face at a Long Beach show which resulted in my banning ATS.

I have no issues with being called out on it. I do have a chip on my shoulder.

How did you make a comeback with the same user moniker ATS?

He is right here.

It is part of life.

I see. I offended a friend, by asking him to explain what was the point of a Post.

I would think if he wanted to answer, he would. Rambo? Chill out man?

Think what you will. It is not important.

It couldn't be that he might have been hinting at a failure of grading by PCGS, as opposed to NGC, would it?

How would that be helpful to the issue being discussed?

I don't know Bill from Adam in the real world. However, after years of posting I know he means no harm. He stated what he wanted and it pertained to his experiences. In one sentence he added more useful information that you have in your fan boy paragraphs. Your user name is a troll name and to be honest I am done feeding the troll.... or fanboy.... not sure which just yet.

I agree with Bochiman's position. It is kind of in your face to be posting NGC submissions ATS. I can see a guy being happy with a submission, but would he be posting the results if there were only three 70's in the submission and PL's instead of DPL's? I may have missed it but did the poster post his results over here? BTW, the submission results were outstanding and the guy has reason to be happy.

Gary

Help me understand. A poster ATS reveals NGC submissions that he is very proud of. You interpret that as some sort of an insult. As if sharing grading results from one TPG on another TPG web site is some type of a crime. You then go on to criticize the poster for not posting the same results on the collectors forum. And then "BTW, the submission results were outstanding and the guy has reason to be happy."

WTF

Carl

He is right here.

It is part of life.

Bill Jones addressed net grading differences in this thread, nothing more. Don't follow your argument re Bill Jones response.

Carl

So, I "drink the kool aid" because I try to have some class?

The thread wasn't about anything to do with PCGS so I didn't think it was appropriate.

I don't think it is appropriate if someone comes HERE and posts their PCGS submissions either...without any context of why it should be there.

Unlike you, hard times, and obviously some others, I guess I am not free to have, and voice an opinion, right?

Funny how you, and a few others, like to run over here with threads about posts/threads on the PCGS forums. Nothing better to do than try to stir up controversy?

When I am posting on the NGC boards, I try to stay germane to NGC coins/items/or coins in general, regardless of the holder. I don't try to come over here and bash NGC and state how great PCGS, or any other service is. I have coins in NGC and I have some VERY nice coins that are, or were, in NGC holders.

I do not have a membership with NGC for submission privileges, which has hampered me a couple of times, but that is my choice as to what I am comfortable paying for (memberships/submissions) so I am not, and will not, complain about that.

I do appreciate how important you must think I am for you to run over here and start a thread about my feelings and for you to interpret it the way you do. I, personally, don't think I am thread worthy, so thank you for thinking I am.

Btw....years ago, I remember people on the PCGS boards running over there with links to threads here, but that has largely stopped....maybe those folks were banned over there and are here now anyway?????

My point in that thread, and my personal viewpoint as an individual, is that I will respect the company of the resources I am using. Others may not feel that way and feel that anywhere they are is a playground for them to do what they will. I am not a mod either place, so I won't say what someone CAN or CANNOT do in that regard. I CAN post that I don't think it is cool.

Lampoon me all you want, but I will remain true to myself and my character on respecting others that deserve respect and respecting companies that let me use their resources to learn and share in numismatics with others.

I agree with Bochiman's position. It is kind of in your face to be posting NGC submissions ATS. I can see a guy being happy with a submission, but would he be posting the results if there were only three 70's in the submission and PL's instead of DPL's? I may have missed it but did the poster post his results over here? BTW, the submission results were outstanding and the guy has reason to be happy.

Gary

Help me understand. A poster ATS reveals NGC submissions that he is very proud of. You interpret that as some sort of an insult. As if sharing grading results from one TPG on another TPG web site is some type of a crime. You then go on to criticize the poster for not posting the same results on the collectors forum. And then "BTW, the submission results were outstanding and the guy has reason to be happy."

WTF

Carl

I'm not the poster you are asking to clarify, but since my username was put into this thread title for the debasement and enjoyment of the OP (and a few others, obviously), and I was the subject of harassment on it, I hope you don't mind my addressing you points as I see them, particularly since you asked in a nice way:

1) He revealed his NGC submissions (some good ones and worth a bit, good for him! Seriously), but on the PCGS boards. Nothing comparative and nothing to learn from. Not even a "look at my uber cool photo" or anything other than "here is my submission results and stacked photos" of NGC coins on the PCGS board.

I, personally, think that could be snubbing one's nose at PCGS and suggested that there may be a better place in posting it here on the NGC boards. After all, I HAVE seen whining over the years from some folks here asking why people post there and not here. Wouldn't an appropriate place to post JUST submission results from NGC "BE" on the NGC boards?

I don't see a corresponding post over here from that poster...maybe he isn't on the NGC boards or maybe he didn't know about them? Or, maybe, he sees threads like this one and doesn't want the drama if he comes here.....?

2) Is it a crime, no. I also think that it COULD be interpreted in a negative way by some powers that be and could result in the poster being banned there, if someone else took it as a slap in the face. Do I want that? Nope. Poster doesn't deserve that. I hope it doesn't happen.

Do I find it rude, though? Yes, I did find the way it was posted to be a potential rude slap in the face. With the follow-up post by the OP there, I am happy that it apparently was NOT done in that fashion. With a "new" poster (very few posts), I could see where some, maybe with an alt, would be that rude....this thread has definitely has me thinking that is possible that someone may do something like that.

3) Again, plenty of people, plenty of times in the past, have commented, in a negative fashion when some folks have posted coins/threads/pics/results on the PCGS boards....particularly when the poster is known to have a NGC handle as well....perhaps that is what is being referenced?

4) I also kudo the OP there and his results...what is wrong with acknowledging that, even if one disagrees with the type of post (company submission results on another company's resources/websites)?

Cannot others have an opinion without being attacked? If you look at my post, I don't believe I attacked that poster, but I am ridiculed for not thinking in the way that this OP here, and some others, believe I should.

I don't believe in dogpiling or groupthink....I will voice my opinions, honestly, and respect others who do so as well...hopefully without the attacks.

I'm not the poster you are asking to clarify, but since my username was put into this thread title for the debasement and enjoyment of the OP (and a few others, obviously), and I was the subject of harassment on it, I hope you don't mind my addressing you points as I see them, particularly since you asked in a nice way:

1) He revealed his NGC submissions (some good ones and worth a bit, good for him! Seriously), but on the PCGS boards. Nothing comparative and nothing to learn from. Not even a "look at my uber cool photo" or anything other than "here is my submission results and stacked photos" of NGC coins on the PCGS board.

I, personally, think that could be snubbing one's nose at PCGS and suggested that there may be a better place in posting it here on the NGC boards. After all, I HAVE seen whining over the years from some folks here asking why people post there and not here. Wouldn't an appropriate place to post JUST submission results from NGC "BE" on the NGC boards?

I don't see a corresponding post over here from that poster...maybe he isn't on the NGC boards or maybe he didn't know about them? Or, maybe, he sees threads like this one and doesn't want the drama if he comes here.....?

2) Is it a crime, no. I also think that it COULD be interpreted in a negative way by some powers that be and could result in the poster being banned there, if someone else took it as a slap in the face. Do I want that? Nope. Poster doesn't deserve that. I hope it doesn't happen.

Do I find it rude, though? Yes, I did find the way it was posted to be a potential rude slap in the face. With the follow-up post by the OP there, I am happy that it apparently was NOT done in that fashion. With a "new" poster (very few posts), I could see where some, maybe with an alt, would be that rude....this thread has definitely has me thinking that is possible that someone may do something like that.

3) Again, plenty of people, plenty of times in the past, have commented, in a negative fashion when some folks have posted coins/threads/pics/results on the PCGS boards....particularly when the poster is known to have a NGC handle as well....perhaps that is what is being referenced?

4) I also kudo the OP there and his results...what is wrong with acknowledging that, even if one disagrees with the type of post (company submission results on another company's resources/websites)?

Cannot others have an opinion without being attacked? If you look at my post, I don't believe I attacked that poster, but I am ridiculed for not thinking in the way that this OP here, and some others, believe I should.

I don't believe in dogpiling or groupthink....I will voice my opinions, honestly, and respect others who do so as well...hopefully without the attacks.

I haven't attacked you in this thread, and I am not going to do so now. But I am curious as to the basis of your comments. What exactly is so offensive about the author's post there? Last time I checked, the forum was labeled as "U.S. Coin Forum" and not a "PCGS Coin Forum." Moreover, even the rules, per Don's "Posting Rules" thread, indicate that it is a COIN forum. In part:

Rule 1) This is not a public forum. This is a PCGS forum paid for by PCGS and provided for PCGS customers to exchange information regarding collecting US coins. We make the rules this is not a democracy.

Rule 6) This forum is about US Coins. If your post is not directly related to US Coins then this is the wrong forum. Do not post it or your posting privileges may be removed (emphases added).

So the thread was very much "directly related to US coins" and even some of the other posters found his post to be "instructive." As such, I don't see how it is rude to post something about U.S. coins when invited to do so, as per explicitly enumerated rules, by the company operating the forum.

Bottom line: There was nothing inherently wrong or offensive with his post, in my opinion, if it is a U.S. Coin Forum. If the forum is a PCGS fan club forum, then the title should be changed and PCGS should make clear of its intent so that members can decide whether participation is a fruitful and educational endeavor rather one full of corporate politics.

Edited: I also fail to see the post as bashing or in any way critical or belittling to PCGS, either implicitly or explicitly. I also do not see the thread as promoting NGC. He merely posted his submission results.

I haven't attacked you in this thread, and I am not going to do so now. But I am curious as to the basis of your comments. What exactly is so offensive about the author's post there? Last time I checked, the forum was labeled as "U.S. Coin Forum" and not a "PCGS Coin Forum." Moreover, even the rules, per Don's "Posting Rules" thread, indicate that it is a COIN forum. In part:

Rule 1) This is not a public forum. This is a PCGS forum paid for by PCGS and provided for PCGS customers to exchange information regarding collecting US coins. We make the rules this is not a democracy.

Rule 6) This forum is about US Coins. If your post is not directly related to US Coins then this is the wrong forum. Do not post it or your posting privileges may be removed (emphases added).

So the thread was very much "directly related to US coins" and even some of the other posters found his post to be "instructive." As such, I don't see how it is rude to post something about U.S. coins when invited to do so, as per explicitly enumerated rules, by the company operating the forum.

Bottom line: There was nothing inherently wrong or offensive with his post, in my opinion, if it is a U.S. Coin Forum. If the forum is a PCGS fan club forum, then the title should be changed and PCGS should make clear of its intent so that members can decide whether participation is a fruitful and educational endeavor rather one full of corporate politics.

I thank you for that. I will respectfully give you my answer (though, I honestly thought I had spelled it out earlier, but it may have been missed with the large post):

The basis of my comment, to the OP there about the post, is that the OP was JUST about the submission results for NGC coins on a PCGS forum.

Later, some folks extrapolated comparisons that they found, and if that had been part of the OP, then I wouldn't have had an issue.

As I stated above, I thought, and still do think, the thread could be interpreted as a slap at PCGS.

Since you quoted 2 of the rules, I will quote one you didn't that I think could be the one that someone with power there could reasonably see....

"Rule 7) This is a PCGS forum. Posts promoting or bashing other grading companies or service are not allowed. Those posts will be removed and your posting privileges may be removed as well. "

How could one NOT interpret a post ONLY about recent NGC submissions, on the PCGS boards, NOT be seen as promoting another grading company? GIVEN THE INFORMATION in that original post there?

Am I honestly the only one who can see where that may be interpreted and a poster banned for unintentionally doing it?

I thank you for that. I will respectfully give you my answer (though, I honestly thought I had spelled it out earlier, but it may have been missed with the large post):

The basis of my comment, to the OP there about the post, is that the OP was JUST about the submission results for NGC coins on a PCGS forum.

Later, some folks extrapolated comparisons that they found, and if that had been part of the OP, then I wouldn't have had an issue.

As I stated above, I thought, and still do think, the thread could be interpreted as a slap at PCGS.

Since you quoted 2 of the rules, I will quote one you didn't that I think could be the one that someone with power there could reasonably see....

"Rule 7) This is a PCGS forum. Posts promoting or bashing other grading companies or service are not allowed. Those posts will be removed and your posting privileges may be removed as well. "

How could one NOT interpret a post ONLY about recent NGC submissions, on the PCGS boards, NOT be seen as promoting another grading company? GIVEN THE INFORMATION in that original post there?

Am I honestly the only one who can see where that may be interpreted and a poster banned for unintentionally doing it?

Thank you for responding.

I don't see the post as bashing or promoting either company. Rather, the OP simply:

1) Started a thread entitled: "Some pics from my NGC 50th Kennedy submission";

2) Uploaded an image of his submission results and some of the coins; and

3) included the text that "Managed to score three DPL's - 3 out of the 375 graded as such. Lucky. And 3/4's 70's!!".

As some of the posters ATS opined, one could argue that it was actually informative about the market for the coins, whether the NGC variants will be common or command large premiums, and might even suggest grading differences between the two services. I saw no express or implied thumbs up to NGC nor did I see it as diminishing NGC. I think the post was completely irrelevant and innocuous to PCGS. I actually interpreted it as having a celebratory tone and the OP seemed to view it as an accomplishment.

On another note, I stopped trying to predict bannings ATS long ago. You can be banned for the unstated rule: angering PCGS moderators or Don or otherwise posting comments that aren't approved of by them.

It appears to me that a number of posters here have chips on their shoulders about PCGS and PCGS forum posters. And this thread is just one example of that.

There are plenty of (and in fact, a majority of) non-Koolaid posts in the referenced thread on the other forum and I believe that it has been unfairly mischaracterized.

Oh, well, glad it's settled then.

The referee has spoken.

Offsides, 10 yard penalty...etc.

Offsides is only a 5-yard penalty.

Chris

I agree with the opinion that there is a very vocal minority ATS that believes only PCGS coins are worthy, and PCGS - CAC approved coins "walk on water." NGC never rates anything in their minds, not even the NGC coins with CAC stickers. I have long been an advocate that collectors should buy the coin and support BOTH services. For that I have been labeled as something of a dinosaur over there, or when they are more kind an eccentric expert.

Gary

WTF

Carl

Reread my post. I quoted ghermman44 post not you. I am not debasing or harassing anyone, just questioning the reasoning behind criticizing a post ATS then stating that the grading results were outstanding. If the post ATS is wrong on several levels, what do the grading results have to do with anything?

I think this thread shows that some NGC forum members have far too much emotional investment in one TPG versus another.

I enjoy your posts and others. When I read a post that does not appear to be logical or I don't follow the reasoning, I will voice my opinion.

Carl

All the major companies do a good job of authentication. Grading is more opinion, but they still are remarkably consistent internally and between themselves. Collectors have argued about grading for 200 years or more, and it isn't any different now except for the labels.

It appears to me that a number of posters here have chips on their shoulders about PCGS and PCGS forum posters. And this thread is just one example of that.

There are plenty of (and in fact, a majority of) non-Koolaid posts in the referenced thread on the other forum and I believe that it has been unfairly mischaracterized.

Oh, well, glad it's settled then.

The referee has spoken.

Offsides, 10 yard penalty...etc.

Offsides is only a 5-yard penalty.

Chris

In football, yes. This is a "whole other ballgame". :grin:

I missed the part where Bochiman was appointed as the voice of PCGS.

What I observed in that thread was a new poster showing off the results of his submission, accurately noting they were graded by NGC. He wasn't in any way "promoting" NGC, he wasn't in any way in violation of PCGS stated "undemocratic rules" for their chat board.

Bochiman and others went out of their way to bury in the most unwelcoming way, a poster who was doing exactly what a US coins forum is suppose to do. Spark discussion about US coins.

They have a PM feature where Bochiman could have privately contacted the poster to express his displeasure with the post, but doing so would deprive Bochiman of his self appointed role of decider of right and wrong.

Let me tell you right from wrong, taking a new poster out to be shot for posting something that rubs you the wrong way is a sure way to run off an otherwise positive contributor. THAT deprives everyone else of the potential to learn something new from the poster.

Golden Corral needs a policeman at their salad bar. I think I know who's up to the task.

Why don't people buy coins instead of plastic that holds the coin? I have both NGC & PCGS along with lots of raw coins. Why can't people get back to the basics.

I will admit i have a lot of friends ATS and think bochiman is a good poster but the garbage allowed on a COIN forum that has NOTHING to do with coins is the issue ATS.