• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1893 CC Morgan - *UPDATED W/GRADE*

19 posts in this topic

I just picked this up thinking I was bidding on VF-XF condition.

It appears to me it's better than that, but would love your opinions before I send this off for grading.

Still has some mirror in the fields. Thank you!

DSCN2213_zps8ee7b48b.jpg

DSCN2208_zpsfee5bf5a.jpg

This one just doesn't look right to me. The spacing between the "s" & "t" in trust on the reverse look too far apart.

Were did you get the coin?

I compaired that spacing to a few other coins i have and it seems the same as half of them. im not the best at taking pictures and just learning so maybe not showing well.

What strikes me as odd is the ear not having the detail.

Could this be a weakly struck coin or just that much wear?

I picked it up on ebay and the seller has 100% rating.

Please tell me it's not a fake

Here's a couple more shots. But like I said, I'm not that good at taking pictures and need to practice.

I think it shows the reflection a little better and gives another angle to examine.

Thanks for the replies!

DSCN2231_zps53d96b28.jpg

DSCN2229_zpsd8eb62e3.jpg

The coin was in a whitman folding album if that explains the odd wear

Hey Colorado,

I'm sorry to have alarmed you. Something just didn't look right to me. I spent a lot of time looking at other coins and comparing them to the one you posted, both obverse and reverse. Maybe it's the lighting or maybe it's the angle, but another thing that didn't look right to me was the eagle's beak. Seemed to have too much detail for the amount of wear on the coin. the surfaces didn't look right to me either.

I am not an expert, nor am I saying your coin is a counterfeit. I was hoping some other more experienced collectors would chime in. And some highly respected members did and they didn't say anything about the coin being fake. So I defer to their opinions.

Hey Colorado,

I'm sorry to have alarmed you.

No worries :)

If it is a counterfeit, I'd like to know.

I thought this one might be tough to grade and agree there are some odd wear patterns.

It almost looks like it was a DMPL and someone carried it around in their pocket as a good luck charm.

The detail in the ear isn't there, almost like it wasn't struck well. Also, under a 40x loop I don't see any cleaning marks whatsoever, the fields are clean.

At the right angle under a loop you can clearly see the mirrored fields meet up perfectly with the portrait, legend, stars, date, etc.

Hey Colorado,

I'm sorry to have alarmed you.

No worries :)

If it is a counterfeit, I'd like to know.

I thought this one might be tough to grade and agree there are some odd wear patterns.

It almost looks like it was a DMPL and someone carried it around in their pocket as a good luck charm.

The detail in the ear isn't there, almost like it wasn't struck well. Also, under a 40x loop I don't see any cleaning marks whatsoever, the fields are clean.

At the right angle under a loop you can clearly see the mirrored fields meet up perfectly with the portrait, legend, stars, date, etc.

I agree with Bill Jones - the fields should not be mirrored. The coin must have been cleaned or polished.

Pocket pieces do not end up with a DPL or polished appearance. They end up a dullish silver color if they are not cleaned. If they are pocket pieces for enough time, they become "slicks" with very little detail remaining and not much "shine."

Just got it back today and happy with the grade, AU55

1893CC_zps5b2d28fc.jpg

I'm assuming it's a soft strike and why it looks worn. This is one of those coins you need to see in hand as electronic photos don't represent well.

Wow, nice pick-up. Without knowing what you paid for it that was quite a risk based on the photos. It is certainly not an attractive example but NGC decided it was problem free and AU.

Wow, nice pick-up. Without knowing what you paid for it that was quite a risk based on the photos. It is certainly not an attractive example but NGC decided it was problem free and AU.

I paid less than $1,000 for it and yes, was a big risk. Here's the original pictures posted in the auction:

1893ccebay_zps00364996.jpg

1893ccbay_zps49de8593.jpg

Like I said, I'm new at coin photography and lighting can really add or detract. My first couple photos certainly detracted.

These are all the same exact coin just different lighting. Here it is in the NGC holder close up.

1893CCObverseAU55_zps5b87a65a.jpg

1893CCReverseAU55_zps33d0e4a6.jpg

very nice,

definitely a headscratcher as too mismatch between niceness of denticles/edge and weakness//?wear? of center of coin

Weigh it and check it with a magnet. Should weigh close to 26.73 grams, and not stick to a magnet. That is always a good start, as fakes rarely weigh right, and are usually magnetic as well. If it is real I would say it was polished, then carried around in a pocket for a while.

Nate