• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Added an early dollar to my collection

25 posts in this topic

After a few days of hemming/hawing/nail biting I purchased this flowing hair dollar on the BST ATS. I think it has a great look for a F12.

1795dollarpcgsobv_zps90fc8e0c.jpg

1795dollarpcgsrev_zps0f7e73fa.jpg

I have a pair of gym shoes that I've had for longer than most people would keep them. They're a little dingy, the soles worn to show the miles walked and run through parking lots, airports, city blocks, back yards, stores, and bourse floors. The printing on the insole is long gone from wear. But these shoes are far more comfortable than any others I have. I don't wear them waiting for the opportunity to take them off. Any I would replace them with would have a long break-in period before they could hope to claim that spot.

This coin is those shoes.

messydesk, that is a perfect analogy. Thanks for taking the time to write that.

As to what price these go for, Numismedia lists $4750 as fair value in this grade.

This is the most expensive coin I have purchased to date, (a CC trade dollar comes close) but I think I will hold onto this one for a while.

I am sure many of us do this when we get a new coin, but just imagine where that coin has been? I suspect it circulated around Colonial Philadelphia, Boston, NY and maybe even as far south as Charleston, but was put away by a collector at some point no later than the 1820s. Even if put away, it has likely been passed through several generations of a family until it finally ended up in a dealer's hands in the first half of the 1900s, where it has been traded numismatically ever since.

I don't know what $1 bought in 1795, but I suspect having a silver dollar in your pocket was like having a $100 bill today. Enough to pay for several items or something big (a night's stay in a room at the boarding house, a 3 course meal for you and your family, a pistol, an outfit), but too much for the little things you might buy on a daily basis (a sandwich and drink, ammo for your gun, socks, etc).

I love it. A very nice choice. Just about perfect. Condition, color, surfaces, cameo appearance. Well done!

Keep it forever.

Lance.

After a few days of hemming/hawing/nail biting I purchased this flowing hair dollar on the BST ATS. I think it has a great look for a F12.

1795dollarpcgsobv_zps90fc8e0c.jpg

1795dollarpcgsrev_zps0f7e73fa.jpg

Perfect look indeed. (thumbs u