• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buried with a Coin...

20 posts in this topic

Kings, Queens & Pharaohs have all done it - been laid to rest with jewels and other riches.

Is there a coin that you would want with you for all of eternity ?

Perhaps a special coin passed down from a loved one...

Or for the atheists, is there a coin you wouldnt want anyone else to ever own ? lol...

I think there is one coin I would take with me... a 1922 Peace $ I got from my grandfather when he passed his collection on to me. Something symbolic - a pocket piece for the next life...

What would you have in your pocket ?

Probably my reading glasses. That way when I get to the fork in the big highway, I can see what list I'm on and what arrow to follow. lol

I don't have any coins that can withstand cremation. Since I like Morgans, maybe I'll have my ashes spread over the Comstock Lode.

Chris

I don't have any coins that can withstand cremation. Since I like Morgans, maybe I'll have my ashes spread over the Comstock Lode.

Chris

Technically they withstand as bullion.

I'm I buried in a coin? Yeah, a number of them....oh...wait...that's not what you asked. :tonofbricks:

I'd either try to sell off my collector before I go OR leave the coins to wife or son with instructions on how to sell.

jom

No.

I would leave my coins for others. If not family than other collectors.

Do you have children? You may decide to pass on your grandfathers coin rather than bury it

Im not suggesting being buried with an entire collection. We are merely stewards of the coins we posses and keep them safe for future generations.

But the world wont miss one 1922 Peace $ that my grandfather gave me.

I dont have children but I would leave rest of the collection he gave me to a grand-nephew as of right now.

"But the world won’t miss one 1922 Peace $ that my grandfather gave me."

However, your decedents might miss the story and family lore that accompany the coin.

Kings, Queens & Pharaohs have all done it - been laid to rest with jewels and other riches.

Is there a coin that you would want with you for all of eternity ?

Perhaps a special coin passed down from a loved one...

Or for the atheists, is there a coin you wouldnt want anyone else to ever own ? lol...

I think there is one coin I would take with me... a 1922 Peace $ I got from my grandfather when he passed his collection on to me. Something symbolic - a pocket piece for the next life...

What would you have in your pocket ?

Well, if I was going to take something with me to the next life, I think I'd want to take my Ferrari!

But if I had to settle for a coin then just about any one would do I'd just have to be sure to take some pants with me............you know, to carry it around in.

I've always embraced the idea that we're just caretakers of the things we collect. Accordingly, I find it pretty easy to sell things I really like. Taking something with me doesn't interest me at all. It would sadden me to know others would be denied enjoyment of it.

I have a 1954 Nickel I carry. It's worn and battered. I carry it because a really good friend gave it to me one day after not having seen or spoken to him in 7 years. So it reminds me there is always a chance to recover things we've lost.

I would see no value for the living to have the dead buried with valuables. Maybe the obolus or danake for the ferry ride over the river Styx. We wouldn't want to not have the right coin for the ferryman, Charon would we?

I would see no value for the living to have the dead buried with valuables. Maybe the obolus or danake for the ferry ride over the river Styx. We wouldn't want to not have the right coin for the ferryman, Charon would we?

Of course, if it's modern transportation like a city bus you better have exact change...