• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

e1cnr's Toned Peace $ Request...

18 posts in this topic

These are two that I really like...

It exceptionally tough to find toned 1927-S and 1935 Peace $ - I believe these might be the only 2 starred examples ever graded by NGC...

27_SNGC63.png

35_NGCMS63.png

Nothin' you could say could tear me away from my girls, my girls; nothing you could do 'cause I'm stuck like glue to my girls, my girls; I'm stickin' to my girls like a stamp to a letter, like birds of a feather, we, stick together, I'm tellin' you from the start, I can't be torn apart, from my girls.

Yeah, those'll work. :)

I believe these might be the only 2 starred examples ever graded by NGC...

Nope

i know for a fact these are not the only ones.

Very nice, I personally like the first one a little better - but would not turn either down, unless they cost too much,

Are these 20X list colors?

It exceptionally tough to find toned 1927-S and 1935 Peace $ - I believe these might be the only 2 starred examples ever graded by NGC...

According to the NGC census there are 194 starred Peace dollars.

According to the NGC census there are 194 starred Peace dollars.

i think he meant for these specific dates.. but that would be wrong, too.

1927-S - 3 star examples (1 in 63, 2 in 64)

1935 - 3 star examples (3 in 65)

It may have been possible for some of the coins to have been added since the OP last looked given the small populations for the date/mint mark combination. Either way, star designated coins are scarce for those issues.

Like I said I wont post photos of my coins past or present.

Interesting attitude to take....

On the 2 posted in the OP...the reverses are nice and clean. The obverse for #1 is ok. I don't particularly like #2. NGC obviously did, and other people will, and that is all good. We all have different opinions of what we like when it comes to toning and that is cool. What I may value high, someone else may not. What they may value high, I may not.

All in all, for the obverse, I like the 1922 in the other thread that was sold by L-M with PCGS plastic and CAC sticker. And, the last 3 things aren't the reason I like it better....the toning and way the colors are is why I like it better.

1927-S - 3 star examples (1 in 63, 2 in 64)

1935 - 3 star examples (3 in 65)

It may have been possible for some of the coins to have been added since the OP last looked given the small populations for the date/mint mark combination. Either way, star designated coins are scarce for those issues.

I dont know if the other 4 coins are toned... thats what I was referring to. Ive never found a reference to the other 4 * coins in my research.

For the first time tonight I was offered a + and * toned Peace $. I think thats a first.

Interesting attitude to take....

On the 2 posted in the OP...the reverses are nice and clean. The obverse for #1 is ok. I don't particularly like #2. NGC obviously did, and other people will, and that is all good. We all have different opinions of what we like when it comes to toning and that is cool. What I may value high, someone else may not. What they may value high, I may not.

All in all, for the obverse, I like the 1922 in the other thread that was sold by L-M with PCGS plastic and CAC sticker. And, the last 3 things aren't the reason I like it better....the toning and way the colors are is why I like it better.

You can certainly find more colorful and more highly graded examples. After all of these years I am drawn more to the coins that are truly more difficult to find toned then the more colorful examples.

A 1935 and/or 27-S toned * coin is far more rare than the coin just sold by LM though.

I'll add one....it's "common", as I think 1923 has more toned peace dollars than most years, but the price was right and I like it (purchased it raw).

For me, I'll respect the coins that people buy at prices I wouldn't and I won't go out of my way to trash on them just because I wouldn't pay the same price, but, at the same time, I keep my limits low. I think the most I have paid for a toned peace dollar (I have about 4 and I think I had 1 or 2 more than I sold over the years when asked for them) is probably about $80 (raw)....and a little less for the toned ones (NGC and PCGS plastic).

I have some peace dollars but don't really collect them, so I just pick up the ones I find appealing at the time.

28244519_large.jpg