• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm aggravated!! Update!! See last post.

65 posts in this topic

I think that the seller should have paid the grading fee to have the coin re-slabbed at the original grade and then delivered it at the agreed-upon price. This is called "honor."

Actually, when it was discovered that the item being sold was not the item available (a raw coin when a slabbed coin was sold), the transactional obligation to provide a product, which does not and can no longer exist, was nullified. A new slab is a new product, and a new opinion; besides, there is no guarantee that the coin will grade the same, or at all, upon a second submission. This leaves the honorable thing being to notify the buyer of the problem and offer a complete refund.

I think the seller did the honorable thing, under the circumstances.

Personally, I may have purchased the raw coin anyway, considering the ease of grading these it would be easy to tell if it's a 63; and the inexpensive value of the coin makes it hardly worth certification.

Those of you saying "you bought the coin, not the slab" are overlooking the liquidity value of the slab and the amount of money it would take Bobby to get it back in the plastic when the time to resell it came.

Yes, it's about the coin -- but I don't think many of you would be happy if I listed an 1893-S in XF45 for sell, telling you it was in PCGS plastic. Then, after you sent me the PayPal payment, I tell you that it was cracked and in my Dansco, but I still have the label. :screwy: The $ amount is sort of irrelevant, the point is that the seller didn't have what he described he had.

Now, personally, I would be aggravated as Bobby was, but I would let it go. Of course, I'm hoping he "refunds" your PayPal payment, so you aren't both paying the PayPal juice both ways for regular transfers. I would also probably avoid doing business with this seller in the future. (shrug)

That's extreme. Get over it.

Kick rocks.

I wish when someone quoted a member who is blocked the quote was still blocked.

Why don't you put a suggestion in the suggestion box? We're always looking for better ways to serve you.

Look on the bright side: he told you and fixed it before it showed up in the mail raw.

Eh, might be aggravating but we all make mistakes. If you really want a Columbian, there are a bunch of PL's on Heritage right now, with the Bagne pedigree :)

Look on the bright side: he told you and fixed it before it showed up in the mail raw.

Eh, might be aggravating but we all make mistakes. If you really want a Columbian, there are a bunch of PL's on Heritage right now, with the Bagne pedigree :)

Yup, if ya got a raw coin delivered that would be aggravating alright!! :roflmao: It could sure have been worse. Try to look on the bright side!

I can understand how you'd be aggravated. People's stupidity and obliviousness aggravate me from time to time too.

But unless you desperately need the funds in your bank account for something right now, I don't see what the big deal is. Sounds like an honest mistake to me, a dumb one, but an honest one.

Okay guys, no need to get harsh. It just merely upset me a little. I'm not bashing the seller, he's offered the full refund which is fine. I didn't lose any sleep over it. I have 3 raw columbians already and was just wanting a decent graded one. Yes I also could have bought it raw, found someone with a paid membership, as I don't have one, send the coin and fees to that person, wait for them to send it in, and then wait for it to get returned back to him from ngc and then sent back to me. Just didn't want to do that.

Yeah, I don't know how he's going to get on. The guy twisted himself into a pretzel to apologize. Forgive. Forget. Get back in the saddle, get on with your life.

You know, you're kind of comments I can actually live without. I posted a small rant for my minor situation. I'm actually a very organized person and would not have made this mistake. Yes the seller was sorry for what he did and apologized and issue was over. If I HAD made a mistake like that, I would be twisting myself like a pretzel to make it right also. Why not???? I was at fault!!!! Now why don't you go and get a life!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I don't know how he's going to get on. The guy twisted himself into a pretzel to apologize. Forgive. Forget. Get back in the saddle, get on with your life.

You know, you're kind of comments I can actually live without. I posted a small rant for my minor situation. I'm actually a very organized person and would not have made this mistake. Yes the seller was sorry for what he did and apologized and issue was over. If I HAD made a mistake like that, I would be twisting myself like a pretzel to make it right also. Why not???? I was at fault!!!! Now why don't you go and get a life!!!!!!!!!!!

I beg your pardon. I wasn't responding to you with that comment. I was responding to somebody who was continuing to bash the seller and portraying you as a victim. Get a life? What about you simmer down? Thanks.

I beg your pardon. I wasn't responding to you with that comment. I was responding to somebody who was continuing to bash the seller and portraying you as a victim. Get a life? What about you simmer down? Thanks.

Opps! Sorry sir! Thought it was directed at me.

Opps! Sorry sir! Thought it was directed at me.

Not about you in the least, Bobby. By that point, I got back in this, it was about just what I said. I know you're over it. And, FWIW, it does suck.

Thanks, BTW. (thumbs u

I will be organizing a group hug at 10 pm CST. Who's in.... That's 11 pm for you EST guys out there...
I'll be in bed by then. Can we re-schedule for tomorrow?
Jason, for you, anything... what time do they let you off the sub! ;)

I will be organizing a group hug at 10 pm CST. Who's in.... That's 11 pm for you EST guys out there...

:angel: It's been a rough week with too much vitriol on our friendly little coin forum. Big hugs all around!

:luhv:

:angel: It's been a rough week with too much vitriol on our friendly little coin forum. Big hugs all around!

:luhv:

Gosh Fishy, you were part of that vitriol when you wrote an abusive response to my post about the 63 vs 64 which is an extremely important topic. Never did I subject name calling at you as you did to me in that post when you disagreed with me on this vibrant topic. I recognize that everyone will have a different opinion and gosh, that is OK.

And you never retracted that abusive post directed at me. And now you want hugs? (tsk)

Best, HT

As a collector I can understand your frustrations, but I can also understand why another collection would forget about what was around the coin. When I was dealer I could remember every slabbed coin I had in my inventory, but sometimes I could not remember if it was in a PCGS or NGC holder. I could remember the grade and how it looked, but sometimes the certification eluded me. Therefore I can see why this collector could forget about making this coin "raw" again.

On the other hand, when I was describing a piece for a letter to a customer and listing it on eBay, I always had the piece in hand while I was writing the description. Therefore I would not have made this mistake.

Look at this way. The Columbian half dollar is not rare in certified MS-63 condition. The only issue is if you had an especial liking for the appearance of this piece. If that's so then your search for another one could be longer.

Hmmm... I don't know what to think on this one. I have heard that coin collectors as a rule tend to be rather detail oriented folks.…lets face it, scrutinizing coins looking for a VAM takes a "Special" person. Consequently, I am afraid I would question if the guy is being completely honest about what happened. To me, posting a coin from your collection in the BST without even looking at it to remember that you cracked it out??? Who does that???

Detail oriented, in general, or not, coin collectors are human beings and make mistakes. I would give him the benefit of the doubt and see no good reason to question his veracity.

I completely agree. Many collectors have hundreds or even thousands of coins and keeping track of all of them can be a chore. When I go to the SDB, like yesterday, there are always a few "I forgot I had that" 's, so an occasional "I forgot that I no longer had that" is all expected.

Hmmm... I don't know what to think on this one. I have heard that coin collectors as a rule tend to be rather detail oriented folks.…lets face it, scrutinizing coins looking for a VAM takes a "Special" person. Consequently, I am afraid I would question if the guy is being completely honest about what happened. To me, posting a coin from your collection in the BST without even looking at it to remember that you cracked it out??? Who does that???

Detail oriented, in general, or not, coin collectors are human beings and make mistakes. I would give him the benefit of the doubt and see no good reason to question his veracity.

I completely agree. Many collectors have hundreds or even thousands of coins and keeping track of all of them can be a chore. When I go to the SDB, like yesterday, there are always a few "I forgot I had that" 's, so an occasional "I forgot that I no longer had that" is all expected.

When I had my own rare coin business, there were a couple of times when I told a client I would ship a coin on approval. Then, when I was getting ready to ship and couldn't find it (among my massive inventory - usually 30-60 coins) I realized/remembered I had already sent the coin to CAC. So I had to delay the shipment. There were also a few instances in which I sold coins and forgot to remove them from my on-line inventory. :o

;)

When I had my own rare coin business, there were a couple of times when I told a client I would ship a coin on approval. Then, when I was getting ready to ship and couldn't find it (among my massive inventory - usually 30-60 coins) I realized/remembered I had already sent the coin to CAC. So I had to delay the shipment. There were also a few instances in which I sold coins and forgot to remove them from my on-line inventory. :o

;)

That's just cause your dealing with old-timers...

Heck do you even remember if took your pills with prune juice this morning? ;):D

Heck do you even remember if took your pills with prune juice this morning? ;):D

Prune juice! Prune juice! Prune juice! I've got to try to remember that. It's no wonder the vodka bottle is always empty.

Chris

Sure wish Mark would have his own business............liked seeing his early bird emails and his site was easy to navigate.

I'm sure it was aggravating but the seller made a mistake and didn't try to mislead

Even through all this, it wouldn't stop me from buying from him in the future. He's had good sales ats with no problems. That was the only coin I was interested in though. Of course in the future I may emphasize the present status of the coin. lol

Ok, as the old saying goes, close one door and another opens. So I originally purchased an MS63 that looked to have a little toning but the pics weren't the best but it looked nice from what I could see. Seeings how the deal didn't work out, it made me look for another. I found this one on ebay for about $20 more ($98). It's also an MS64 and looks nice to me. What you think? These are sellers pics.

image_zps67bed18c.jpg

image_zpscd61e642.jpg

image_zps6c5ad372.jpg

Looks nice Bobby. I can't really tell from the photo, but I am wondering about the toning along the bottom side of the device on the obverse. Is that a fingerprint or just variations in the toning?

Regardless, congrats... nice way to end an otherwise frustrating ordeal.

Looks nice Bobby. I can't really tell from the photo, but I am wondering about the toning along the bottom side of the device on the obverse. Is that a fingerprint or just variations in the toning?

Regardless, congrats... nice way to end an otherwise frustrating ordeal.

I'll take more pics after I receive it. Hopefully has a little bit more color than what shows also.