• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New $100 misprint

53 posts in this topic

This is not mine, posted elsewhere by a newbie to the boards. Quite interesting if you ask me, but I'm not much of a currency collector. He's wondering the value, can anyone here help? Point of interest on this is that the Serial Number is missing.

Edited to add a picture of a normal bill with serial.

newbenjamin.jpg

142801.jpg.0cd5c7245940d8b6fb73528b851d2934.jpg

Just a guess but the value will depend on how many are discovered most likely. If there is only 1 or a few it could have some good value...if a pallet of them turn up not so much.

I might be mistaken, but I thought the seal and the serial numbers are printed together..? So if the serial numbers are off set or missing, so should the seal be..?

Are we talking about a missing serial number?
WJ, thanks for bringing that up, I should have put it in the original post, the Serial Number is missing and I will update the OP to make sure no one gets confused as to what they are looking for.

I'd get it on eBay post haste. The novelty will only be worth a premium for so long.

Is there any embossing of the serial number indicating that just the ink was missing or is the impression totally missing?

I have a skeptical feeling about this note.

I am certain I am probably wrong and a grumpy old man, but....there is something a little off. Maybe it is that it is a picture and I can't view it in hand, or maybe in the present printing process, I don't se this missing # printing happening. :foryou:

I have a skeptical feeling about this note.

I am certain I am probably wrong and a grumpy old man, but....there is something a little off. Maybe it is that it is a picture and I can't view it in hand, or maybe in the present printing process, I don't se this missing # printing happening. :foryou:

I agree, but I think the OP put this in another thread claiming to be a bank teller and this was found in a stack straight from whoever the bank orders from. (shrug)

While I understand, the fact is that this is just a story, at this time. I don't doubt the legitimacy of your position, or your words ( I don't have a reason to-yet). However, my skepticism is no different than what a person would face if approaching Dealers.

I would state that I would not be putting in on EBay, or any other venue, until the Note is TPG'ed.

I note you did not post a picture of the reverse of the note. It would be helpful.

While a sheet could possibly (tongue in cheek) have bypassed the sequential serial number process, and two sheets could have possibly (tongue in cheek ) stuck together, there would be, I think, 16 - 32 blocks with the same error. How many sequential Blocks were delivered to the Bank?

Did you happen to record the serial number of the notes immediately before and after this note?

Were the notes that do have serial numbers checked against the receiving list?

How were the notes delivered to the bank?

Is the blue line a bank wrap?

The picture is very, very unclear, and causes the eyes to see differences (OK-I will say it- it looks non-legitimate in the quality of the picture I am viewing). :foryou:

I do not have an opinion at this time, just questions.

I am not attempting to undermine you.

These are questions you would face from a collecting community.

It certainly is your choice to not answer or provide further details/pictures.

I am only interested from an academic point of view, not a value point.

I would still say to you to forward this piece to a TPG.

It may or may not be a misprint. It may be a printers' waste sheet inadvertently inserted. :foryou:

I was wondering if this was in a wrapped stack, wouldn't the serial number be in sequence from the bill before and after this one? Do you still have access to that same stack to find out? Just curious.

The blue stripe is part of the new design and a hologram, they are on every bill.

I think I saw examples like this that were distributed to show the new anti-counterfeiting measures prior to them being distributed.

I would either dump in on eBay before the novelty wears off or send it in for grading as an error to legitimize that it is a true error note.

At any rate, I believe this bill should be certified. Can someone with access to PMG help this guy out? I think that's the only thing that will clear this up. After certification this bill, if proven to be that rare, should be placed in an auction house where it can realize its true value. I would suggest contacting Mark Feld who currently works for Heritage Auctions.

The blue stripe is part of the new design and a hologram, they are on every bill.

I think I saw examples like this that were distributed to show the new anti-counterfeiting measures prior to them being distributed.

I would either dump in on eBay before the novelty wears off or send it in for grading as an error to legitimize that it is a true error note.

I am referring to the very, very light blue line above the border, not the security strip.

I should have been more clear. Mr. Lehigh previously warned me about this. :banana: I apologize for the confusion. :foryou:

As to EBay, I don't think this is the proper first stop for the note. (shrug)

I am referring to the very, very light blue line above the border, not the security strip.

I should have been more clear. Mr. Lehigh previously warned me about this. :banana: I apologize for the confusion. :foryou:

I agree about the eBay not being the proper first stop, I would send it to a TPG if I owned it and knew it to be authentic.

I don't see the blue line you are referring to. Teller can you post a better picture or a scan?

I agree about the eBay not being the proper first stop, I would send it to a TPG if I owned it and knew it to be authentic.

I don't see the blue line you are referring to. Teller can you post a better picture or a scan?

I asked for that and for other info, and for a picture of the reverse. Unfortunately, no response yet. :foryou:

At any rate, I believe this bill should be certified. Can someone with access to PMG help this guy out? I think that's the only thing that will clear this up. After certification this bill, if proven to be that rare, should be placed in an auction house where it can realize its true value. I would suggest contacting Mark Feld who currently works for Heritage Auctions.

Sound advice

It looks like you might really have something there. Those suggesting it should be sent to a third party grader to verify authenticity are probably providing the best advice.

Good luck and do not bend, bite, sit, suck or chew on it.

That was my opinion as well at first sight and with no reverse shot nor pictures of higher quality I too am in the skeptical camp.

I hope I am wrong and the piece turns out being truly a 'rare' error, and the OP receives a windfall. :popcorn:

OK....some food for thought here. If you send the crisp $100 bill to a TPG and they see it as perhaps maybe a forgery, would they not contact the Secret Service...say, we just received what appears to be a brand new, anti-counterfeiting C-note with no serial number, you guys interested?

You might be opening up a can of worms here.

OK....some food for thought here. If you send the crisp $100 bill to a TPG and they see it as perhaps maybe a forgery, would they not contact the Secret Service...say, we just received what appears to be a brand new, anti-counterfeiting C-note with no serial number, you guys interested?

You might be opening up a can of worms here.

Hi, Mr. Woody :hi:

That is exactly what will happen.

I tried to, in my own Mr. Lehigh non-approved wording, intimate this to the OP. The key is sequential #s. It is supposedly from a new stack, received at the Bank where the OP is a Teller. The serial #s are recorded. He did not answer if the Bills were checked against the receiving List. He has not answered if the notes before and after the note in question were sequential. He did not answer if there was any other new notes received from the same source (Block). It seems to me there would be possibly 16 - 32 similar notes, if it was a misprint (tongue in cheek) sheet. It could be a human error that somehow caused a printers waste sheet to end up stuck to the other sheets and somehow missed the printing process (tongue in cheek).

No picture of the other side of the notes is shown, and the picture that is shown is worse than any attempt that I may some day have the courage to post a picture of anything.

Summary:

Bank teller.

Note in Bank received Stack, found while performing duties ( (shrug)

No info about whether or not a senior bank official was notified.

No info as to whether or not sequential #s were checked against receiving list/manifest.

No info about whether or not other stacks received/checked.

Not very clear image of one side of note.

No image of other side of note.

No questions presented to OP have been answered ( not that there is anything wrong with that).

Sounds like a no - brainer EBay listing is in order.... :banana: