• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New $100 misprint

53 posts in this topic

I offered to buy the note and take a chance but he never responded. Told him I'd pay more than he was thinking....whole thing sounds hinky.

The issues you raise john are internal affairs of the financial institution I work for and they are not privy to the public. Like I said you are entitled to your opinion but I know that I came across this unique and rare bill during my normal duties as a teller. If you were in my position, wouldnt you swap a bill out of your wallet for this extraordinary bill?

Thank you for your reply.

No sir, I would not, without reporting to my superiors and making them fully aware, and receiving their written permission. It simply is not your property, and swapping a note does not make it your property.

As to internal affairs, SN manifests and delivery points are not bank domain, and have nothing to do with the issues being discussed. Sequential numbering in the block, the issuance of the SNs, the date, etc., are not bank domain. All this information was available.

The fact that you are a Bank employee, and discover a non-SN Bill, and have not accounted for its sequential numbering, and chose to swap the Note out, without any verification that it is authentic or counterfeit, is between you and your employer. It is not my concern. However, discussing the Note in the numismatic community allows the questions to be asked. If they go unanswered, so be it. :foryou:

Sir you have no idea of what your talking about. You have many assumptions and you know what happens when one assumes ...

Thank you for your reply. I get that a lot, when somebody can't quite answer logical questions. It is not a problem and I certainly apologize if I offended you with questions presented.

I wish you well in your sale. :foryou:

Sir you have no idea of what your talking about. You have many assumptions and you know what happens when one assumes ...

Thank you for your reply. I get that a lot, when somebody can't quite answer logical questions. It is not a problem and I certainly apologize if I offended you with questions presented.

I wish you well in your sale. :foryou:

It seems to me that the questions are reasonable. What I don't understand is why the note holder bothers to post in the first place but does not answer questions from board members.

OK....some food for thought here. If you send the crisp $100 bill to a TPG and they see it as perhaps maybe a forgery, would they not contact the Secret Service...say, we just received what appears to be a brand new, anti-counterfeiting C-note with no serial number, you guys interested?

They would simply return it unholdered with the explanation "Questionable Authenticity". They would not contact the authorities

The images aren't the best but so far I don't see any reason to doubt that it isn;t simply missing the third printing.

OK....some food for thought here. If you send the crisp $100 bill to a TPG and they see it as perhaps maybe a forgery, would they not contact the Secret Service...say, we just received what appears to be a brand new, anti-counterfeiting C-note with no serial number, you guys interested?

They would simply return it unholdered with the explanation "Questionable Authenticity". They would not contact the authorities

The images aren't the best but so far I don't see any reason to doubt that it isn;t simply missing the third printing.

I think more than just returning the piece to the submitter would occur. Since the CIA stamp scandal, things are looked at a little differently in situations like this one, especially when it is found by a bank teller at his location of employment.

But what do I know.

While it is possible, concerning the 3rd. printing, since we have some knowledge that the SNs are being applied in another step, sort of like in 2009, I think, and it is possible it is printers waste, and it is possible that it is a sheet stuck to another when passed thru the 3rd, step, we would know a lot more with a clear image, and especially both sides. If we knew the prior and following SNs, that sandwiched this sheet, we would know a heck of a lot more. It could be that it is one of the prepared exhibit notes that were used in the public info launch of the new type note, or a copy of it. What I do know, is that this Note should be sent to a TPG, to end some of the speculation, and not put up for sale on EBay.

But, what do I know.... :foryou:

Upon further inspection of the bill, I do see a faint impression of a serial number but with no ink at all. You have to hold the bill up to a light at an angle to see it. So I was incorrect in saying that there was no impression. Its hard to make out the number since there is no ink.

Thank you for keeping us informed. :foryou:

I think more than just returning the piece to the submitter would occur.

They don't inform them about other counterfeits that come in, why would they for a fake of the new hundred?

I think more than just returning the piece to the submitter would occur.

They don't inform them about other counterfeits that come in, why would they for a fake of the new hundred?

Good Morning, Mr. Conder101.

I am quite certain you understand the difference, when we are discussing a newly launched $100.00 Note (and the purpose and reasons that led to this new design).

As to whether the TPGs do or don't inform someone and who, I will assume by your statement that you are well versed in the procedure and process, and know much more than I do.

Thank you for correcting me. :foryou:

Objectively I would say send it in to a TPG. If it is required the secrete service be contacted then that is the right thing to do. I would not want to be the one on the hook if a private sale went south.

Have laws been broken just by swapping it out at the bank ?

Why would a SPECIMEN be used in the any way? Why not use the original image of the reverse, for making a comparison (when you could have shot the reverse?)??? When I saw the 'SPECIMEN' as the first image in the thread, I thought, WHOAH!! finding a SPECIMEN' .......' You had time to dig that image of the 'SPECIMEN', out, and obviously had time and ability to shoot a quick image of the reverse. Now, after I seem to blast him and there's still LOTS of those that doubt....though I don't necessarily I see nothing, personally, in the way of there being a S/N, so, we'll have to see what more happens. When I first opened the thread, seeing the first image, naturally, I'm thinking he pulled a 'SPECIMEN' note, which would be OFF THE CHARTS!! It wasn't until I scan the hallways and realize it's for the note lacking ink. I think we're all looking for that reverse image, maybe with the current dated newspaper. No offense, not accusing anyone of anything. Just seems odd we can't get a reverse image, and the 'owner' has been given an offer (I'm guessing more than fair, and turned it down. Hell, even ebay makes you show the obv AND reverse.

Maybe you have received no offers since many probably find it really hard to believe that someone that works at a bank, has undoubtedly had to pass some level of IQ testing to get the job, can't post a picture on this forum even after having the access of two tutorials describing how, just handed to them.

To Duke. I was the one who posted all the images in this thread. I posted the specimen note since it was an easy find and I wanted to show a comparison. The reverse of the note is posted in the second message of this page. This page being page 5. Someone in this thread said he offered the owner some cash. We don't know whether that's true or not. Would I have swapped out the note. Hell YES. I would do the same for silver coins as well and I don't find a problem one with doing that. My hundred your hundred who cares.

Can I ask as to why this was presented in the Paper money forum, with a possible cruise by the PMG forum, where the OP might get some better ideas????

Why would the ideas be better?

It seems to me that there are a number of individuals on this Forum that have a lot of knowledge in this subject (excluding me).

I would also venture that by this time, this Thread is well known on the Paper Money Forum and PMG Forum, and any better ideas would have been made here

by now. (shrug):foryou:

I collect both currency and coins, mostly coins. The currency chat boards don't seem to get read or the attention as here. That being said when I've ask direct question on the currency side I do get detailed quick response but from fewer members