• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first prooflike Peace Dollar!

58 posts in this topic

Very nice coin... especially nice reverse. Are you going to try for the PL designation ?

If it is already in a NGC slab, would it not have the designation if NGC felt it deserved it? or is the holder older than when NGC started giving the designation?

I have noticed lighting angles can give different impressions from coin in hand - please show us what it looks like when it arrives.

Very nice coin... especially nice reverse. Are you going to try for the PL designation ?

If it is already in a NGC slab, would it not have the designation if NGC felt it deserved it? or is the holder older than when NGC started giving the designation?

I have noticed lighting angles can give different impressions from coin in hand - please show us what it looks like when it arrives.

The STAR was likely given to this one because of semi-PL surfaces or full PL surfaces on one side.

The STAR was likely given to this one because of semi-PL surfaces or full PL surfaces on one side.

Or semi-PL surfaces on both sides or extra flash/eye-appeal, etc. Bottom line, even if it's great looking, it is extremely unlikely that the coin would be accurately described as "PL". ;)

I'm in agreement with Mark. Unless it's marked as PL on the holder it can't really be claimed as your "first PL Peace Dollar". More accurately it may be your first STAR designated Peace. BTW, I love the look of the reverse and hope it looks even better in hand.

I'm in agreement with Mark. Unless it's marked as PL on the holder it can't really be claimed as your "first PL Peace Dollar". More accurately it may be your first STAR designated Peace. BTW, I love the look of the reverse and hope it looks even better in hand.

You must not know AJ. It's can't possibly be his first star Peace dollar. He has had many.

For the record, just because NGC doesn't put "PL" on the holder, doesn't mean it doesn't have PL surfaces. Based on some of the grading I have seen of clearly PL Conder tokens, that designation is pretty much a c-r-a-p-shoot.

You must not know AJ. It's can't possibly be his first star Peace dollar. He has had many.

For the record, just because NGC doesn't put "PL" on the holder, doesn't mean it doesn't have PL surfaces. Based on some of the grading I have seen of clearly PL Conder tokens, that designation is pretty much a c-r-a-p-shoot.

I do know AJ's collecting habits that's why I stated "may be". :)

Since the coin hasn't been seen in hand, AJ must be going by the eBay seller's description....

Since the coin hasn't been seen in hand, AJ must be going by the eBay seller's description....

Once the coin has been shipped, I will provide a link to the ebay listing.

And I am taking a guess that the coin has prooflike qualities based on the cameo reverse and the STAR designation, which on blast white Peace Dollars, can only be from blazing luster or semi-prooflike qualities.

lol, thanks Brandon.

I've owned 8 of them, I currently own 7, but have my eyes on another one next month.

I look at at a lot of Peace Dollars, and very few of them have any legitimate cliam to "PL". And, while I don't know about the Conder tokens, I don't think the designation or lack thereof is a "crapshoot" in the case of Peace Dollars.

That looks like one beautiful peace dollar!! Let us know what it looks like in hand....Joe
That looks to be an attractive PD. Let us know what it looks like when you get it in hand...
You California guys sure do think alike!! :)

I look at at a lot of Peace Dollars, and very few of them have any legitimate cliam to "PL". And, while I don't know about the Conder tokens, I don't think the designation or lack thereof is a "crapshoot" in the case of Peace Dollars.

When the PL designation is applied, I believe it. But, when it is NOT applied sometimes you have to scratch your head and ask why. I have seen some coins with completely liquid fields, if one didn't know better they could even be called proofs proper. But, for some reason NGC didn't like it as a PL the day it was graded. I'm just saying, absence of evidence (i.e., no "PL" on holder) is not evidence of absence.

When the PL designation is applied, I believe it. But, when it is NOT applied sometimes you have to scratch your head and ask why. I have seen some coins with completely liquid fields, if one didn't know better they could even be called proofs proper. But, for some reason NGC didn't like it as a PL the day it was graded. I'm just saying, absence of evidence (i.e., no "PL" on holder) is not evidence of absence.

Absence of evidence (i.e., no "PL" on holder) is evidence of absence, even if it might not be proof of such.

Absence of evidence (i.e., no "PL" on holder) is evidence of absence, even if it might not be proof of such.

Only if NGC is infallible -- which they are not (nor is any TPG). ;)

I have much more faith in the subjective technical grades of TPGs than in the highly subjective attribute designation of things like PL and star. While both are subjective, I believe there are levels of subjectivity (much like Dante's levels of h-e-l-l). :D

I agree with brg. Don't pass on a possible prooflike coin in an NGC holder. I bought a 3 cent silver that was clearly PL but not designated from mkman123. When I sent it to NGC for designation review it was returned with the PL designation.

Nick

I agree with brg. Don't pass on a possible prooflike coin in an NGC holder. I bought a 3 cent silver that was clearly PL but not designated from mkman123. When I sent it to NGC for designation review it was returned with the PL designation.

Nick

I didn't see anyone advocate passing on a coin in a non-PL holder. But some of us need to be convinced that the coin is PL, rather than semi-PL, etc. and choose not make determinations based on an image.

a lot of the people on here are unnecessarily harsh in their judgements. It is not hard to tell that this peace dollar got the star because of its PL nature, just look at it, not that hard. i have around 30-40 peace dollars certified and this one certainly doesnt look like the majority. Of the dates that sometimes present as PL include 22-d, 26-s and 34-d. i might be missing a date or two :) I am happy for AJ and extremely jealous, if i had seen this on ebay it would be me posting the pics :)

a lot of the people on here are unnecessarily harsh in their judgements. It is not hard to tell that this peace dollar got the star because of its PL nature, just look at it, not that hard. i have around 30-40 peace dollars certified and this one certainly doesnt look like the majority. Of the dates that sometimes present as PL include 22-d, 26-s and 34-d. i might be missing a date or two :) I am happy for AJ and extremely jealous, if i had seen this on ebay it would be me posting the pics :)

There's a difference between "certainly semi-PL" and PL. And chances are excellent that the coin received the star because of the former, not the latter.

No one here said that the coin doesn't look nice or that it didn't merit the star.

Why is someone "harsh", merely for being unconvinced by an image, that the coin is necessarily deserving of the PL desigantion?

i dont know what you guys are looking at, but i can tell it is certainly semi-pl, maybe even better.

I don't know much.

I never grade from pictures; don't know how and will never learn how because I can't master eye appeal picture grading with my depth perception and vision rating.

What I do know is that being semi-prooflike is not prooflike, and being certain something is semi-pl and maybe even better, because of a picture, seems quite risky.

I also know that risk is a deep pocket braveheart game, when buying a coin based on eye appeal perception from a picture.