• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A thrilling experience in the grading room

43 posts in this topic

• Administrator

The walls of the NGC U.S. coin grading room are mostly unadorned. Some graders brought in artwork to hang after we moved into our new building in 2006. For example, I brought in a framed photograph of the King of Siam set than hung in my bedroom as a kid, and Rick Montgomery brought in a signed picture of William Shatner.

Our primary silver dollar grader has had a framed picture of this coin hanging above his desk in the grading room for the last seven years. The coin hasn't surfaced since it last sold publicly in 1982, so you can imagine what a thrill it was to have it submitted for grading a couple of weeks ago:

1801_S1_ob_lg.jpg

Scott, I can't be certain, but, based on the timing, think I might have sold that coin, while working for Steve Ivy, in approximately 1980 or 1981.

Scott, I can't be certain, but, based on the timing, think I might have sold that coin, while working for Steve Ivy, in approximately 1980 or 1981.

Mark,

This coin is such an incredible numismatic holding. Did you ever contemplate buying this coin outright?

Carl

Mark,

This coin is such an incredible numismatic holding. Did you ever contemplate buying this coin outright?

Carl

Carl, as cool as the coin was, not even for a second. At the time, I was about 26-27 years old and if (that is a big IF) I recall correctly, we sold the coin for about $90,000-$95,000. I didn't have that kind of money to spend on anything, back then. Of course it's worth "a bit" more today. ;)

Just a guess, but I'd say $1.5M. The novodel proofs peaked a few years ago and have slipped slightly. Of course, this one is a bit rarer - thus the premium.

Thanks, that's quite interesting. :)

To look that good after all those years. The best thing that happened to that coin is it's in a slab. That thing belongs in a museum.

Not bad for 140 years old.

Provenance?

Thanks. I didn't know exactly when this was struck. Maybe we can interest Roger in tracing down its chain of custody for us. He seems so interested in history lately.

Cleneay - Boyd. Nice

Bruce, if you are at liberty to say, how did you obtain that information?

Thanks, and if you can't disclose that, I understand.

Edited to add: Never mind, I found it on the NGC website.