• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A thrilling experience in the grading room

43 posts in this topic

Wowzers! The rarest of all the back-dated draped bust dollars, and it would also appear to be the nicest of the 3 known 1801s.

Do you think its showing up for grading foreshadows it crossing the auction block soon? If so, what a unique opportunity for someone who has always wanted to put together a set of proof draped bust dollars. 1804s come up for sale every few years, but this would seem to be a "now or never" opportunity in comparison.

As I noted in a thread ATS, I think this coin was offered to me in Feb or maybe June Long Beach 1982 by Walt Hood and Reed Spencer. It could have been 1981. At $37,500. As if I had a clue !

TY messydesk..Didn't know about a third one unless the Contursi coin is not the CAMI coin, both washed out..Which would be an ironic relief, since this is the best I've seen too and I've secret feared this particular piece was my memory from before an immersion.

Mark, any of this ring a (far distant) bell for you?

As I noted in a thread ATS, I think this coin was offered to me in Feb or maybe June Long Beach 1982 by Walt Hood and Reed Spencer. It could have been 1981. At $37,500. As if I had a clue !

TY messydesk..Didn't know about a third one unless the Contursi coin is not the CAMI coin, both washed out..Which would be an ironic relief, since this is the best I've seen too and I've secret feared this particular piece was my memory from before an immersion.

Colonel,

Walt wasn't the (direct) buyer of the one I sold, but due to the extreme rarity of the coin, odds certainly are, it's the same coin.

But I really thought I sold it for close to $100K, so am confused by the $37,500 you mentioned as a subsequent ballpark sale price. It couldn't have dropped in value by that much, even when the market tanked, could it?

• Administrator

NGC did research the provenance of this coin. CJ, you're correct. This piece was owned by Steve Ivy Rare Coins and later by Walton Hood.

The only other Proof 1801 $1 is the Carter specimen. There was rumor of a circulated example, but it is unconfirmed and has since been delisted from most censuses.

The coin in Knoxville was an 1803. It is the example pictured in the NGC Coin Explorer.

Just a guess, but I'd say $1.5M. The novodel proofs peaked a few years ago and have slipped slightly. Of course, this one is a bit rarer - thus the premium.

I would estimate anywhere from $1.2-2.5kk

That coin is something special. Given how well really big coins have been doing lately...*wink wink* I feel this would certainly beat all expectations.

Just a guess, but I'd say $1.5M. The novodel proofs peaked a few years ago and have slipped slightly. Of course, this one is a bit rarer - thus the premium.

I would estimate anywhere from $1.2-2.5kk

That coin is something special. Given how well really big coins have been doing lately...*wink wink* I feel this would certainly beat all expectations.

My enthusiasm for the price is tempered by the fact it is an un authorized 'restrike' from newly made dies and thus barely even a coin if you ask me. While the Class I 1804 dollars were authorized and struck for official purposes, these weren't. IIRC, they were struck in the 1870's about the same time as the Class III 1804's - which I have no desire to collect.

NGC did research the provenance of this coin. CJ, you're correct. This piece was owned by Steve Ivy Rare Coins and later by Walton Hood.

The only other Proof 1801 $1 is the Carter specimen. There was rumor of a circulated example, but it is unconfirmed and has since been delisted from most censuses.

The coin in Knoxville was an 1803. It is the example pictured in the NGC Coin Explorer.

Some time ago, I performed a detailed plate-matching with the known photos of the 1801 novodels (including some very rare plated catalogs), and I firmly believe a third specimen does exist.