• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Physics-fan3.14's Prooflike Photo Contest

109 posts in this topic

Update? Patience is not my strength...

Brandon, I have the coin now. I meant to update this thread the other evening when I got the coin from Sam. I hope to be done with it soon.

Haha, patience my friends! I have finally gotten the coin back in my hands, and I've received all the images. I just need to get them together and put up the post. With Christmas hustling and bustling and such and stuff, I expect that I'll probably get them up this weekend.

Patience, my friends!

I recommend that you start a new thread when it comes to posting images so people don't become lost in the 8 pages that have already been posted here.

I plan on starting 2 actually - one for the obverse, one for the reverse.

This should be interesting as to how people perceive what the coin looks like. (thumbs u

It was tough for me to pick the ones I thought were best - and I've seen the coin more than anyone!

That being said, there are at least 13 of us here that should have a pretty good idea what the coin looks like at least.

Jason, thanks for all your effort and trust in organizing and executing the journey of this coin. It was a very fun experience to participate, and I think the results will be very exciting to see.

Cheers,

-Brandon

The results are very impressive. As expected, some went for the color, others the texture, and others the contrast, each with a different interpretation. It will be interesting to see which interpretation is most popular.

This was my prediction some time ago, but I can't find it. The technical skills have improved to the point where these contests aren't about judging skills anymore. Instead, they're about artistic interpretation, which is far more subjective.

This was my prediction some time ago, but I can't find it. The technical skills have improved to the point where these contests aren't about judging skills anymore. Instead, they're about artistic interpretation, which is far more subjective.
There is a little bit of that sure...but I think very little. After I viewed the photos I saw some that were sharper than others, some that had bits of over-exposure and some that had bits of under-exposure and a couple that I thought had white balance issues. Once you eliminated the photos that had those "technical issues" then you got to the artistic interpretation / subjective parts which only left you with 3 or 4 sets of images in my view. There is still plenty of ground to cover in the technical realm.

I know I have plenty of ground to cover with my own photography efforts. I do not think I could have won this contest but I now wish I had participated as a learning experience. Maybe next time if there is ever a next time.

I hope the owner will be able to tell us after the contest is over, which set of photos from the final 4 actually looks most like the coin in hand...and that should be the winner quite truthfully, eliminating more artistic/subjective interpretation.

There is a little bit of that sure...but I think very little. After I viewed the photos I saw some that were sharper than others, some that had bits of over-exposure and some that had bits of under-exposure and a couple that I thought had white balance issues. Once you eliminated the photos that had those "technical issues" then you got to the artistic interpretation / subjective parts which only left you with 3 or 4 sets of images in my view. There is still plenty of ground to cover in the technical realm.

I know I have plenty of ground to cover with my own photography efforts. I do not think I could have won this contest but I now wish I had participated as a learning experience. Maybe next time if there is ever a next time.

I hope the owner will be able to tell us after the contest is over, which set of photos from the final 4 actually looks most like the coin in hand...and that should be the winner quite truthfully, eliminating more artistic/subjective interpretation.

I agree KeyMan. I voted for the pictures that I thought would best represent the coin in-hand. Messydesk has a good point about artistic impression though. Some chose to bring out the color and some chose to photograph the coin as realistically as possible.

Even among the technically superior photos, there is still a wide range of interpretation. When you hold the coin in hand, depending on what type of lights and what angles, all of the views are equally valid. It just depends on what you want to bring out in the coin. I'm not joking when I say it is really hard for me to pick my favorite out of the top 4 - they are all that good.

And everyone has had so much fun with this contest, it is very likely that I'll do another. I've got no shortage of coins which are nearly impossible to shoot - the prooflikes do that to you!

Even among the technically superior photos, there is still a wide range of interpretation. When you hold the coin in hand, depending on what type of lights and what angles, all of the views are equally valid. It just depends on what you want to bring out in the coin. I'm not joking when I say it is really hard for me to pick my favorite out of the top 4 - they are all that good.

And everyone has had so much fun with this contest, it is very likely that I'll do another. I've got no shortage of coins which are nearly impossible to shoot - the prooflikes do that to you!

As being part of the contest, this is very true! Looking at all the contestants photos really shows me the talent that is out there. Everyone has thier own interpretations of how they like the coin. Depending on which aspect of the coin that each chose to photograph really didn't matter as it was a very challenging coin either way. This was by far "not" a point and shoot project. I commend those that attempted and participated and the quality of pictures that were produced. It was quite a learning aspect for me and showed me where there are so many methods for photographing coins and also the ability to be able to make a coin look different in so many ways. It makes me look at pictures in a different light when looking at on-line auctions also! The contest was fun but I am more rewarded by the learning experience I went thru trying to photograph it! I really thank Jason for the opportunity and the trust that he had to go thru with this project. I look forward to the next one!!!