• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Pics from Brandon - Great Work

19 posts in this topic

I was reading an interview of Todd Pollock about his approach to coin photography and how he advised that it takes hours of practice to capture an accurate look of the coin. Well, I'd like to show you some pics from Brandon from BRG Numismatic Photography that he took of 3 of my coins. We discussed them thoroughly and I know Brandon worked hard on these to capture their look faithfully (some of the images were taken at 3-4 a.m.!).

I've used several different photographers and have been pleased with the outcome and want to endorse Brandon as another who does fantastic work. I believe these pics to be accurate to the actual in-hand look.

1832_Half_Cent_composite_white_zps15e33b53.jpg

1832_Half_Cent_reverse_AM_zps820fbe79.jpg

1948D_Franklin_Half_composite_white_halo_v3_zps2088da4c.jpg

This is an axial view of my proof nickel and not a straight on view (I wanted to capture its color):

1910_Liberty_Nickel_composite_white_halo_v4_zps1b71f411.jpg

So, the first two are new pieces and all three are special to me. I hope you enjoy the coins and Brandon's professional work.

I find all three attractive, but I especially love the Liberty Head nickel. It is very eye appealing.

+1

Brandon's images are consistently of the highest quality. (thumbs u

...I know Brandon worked hard on these to capture their look faithfully (some of the images were taken at 3-4 a.m.!)....

I'm a night owl, what can I say? I have been out of grad school for 10 years, but I still haven't outgrown the odd hours. :)

Thanks for the kind words Catbert. It was a pleasure to see your coins in hand, and capture them in all their glory! (thumbs u

-Brandon

Catbert,

I hope you don't mind, but I wanted to post your lovely V-nickel imaged from "head on" also. Just so people can get a feel for how different a toned coin can look in images depending on the method used.

1910_Liberty_Nickel_composite_white_halo_zpsb0af19e9.jpg

1910_Liberty_Nickel_composite_white_halo_v4_zps1b71f411.jpg

Wow, looks like two different coins. How much does lighting play into the two images? Or is it just the angle that you shoot it? Anyway They both look great.

It really doesn't take much tilt of the coin to see the vibrant color!

That coin looks familiar - is it the one I'm thinking of? ;)

It really doesn't take much tilt of the coin to see the vibrant color!

That coin looks familiar - is it the one I'm thinking of? ;)

Yes, it was one of your offspring Mark!

The straight on images are shot with LED lights, with the slab completely perpendicular to the lens.

The more colorful images were shot using an "axial" method, whereby an angled piece of glass deflects light down on the slab and then perpendicularly up on the lens. This axial method is limited as it shows basically no luster, but it's strong point is that it picks up color as almost no other method can. The lights I use for the axial images are Ott lights behind a diffuser curtain.

White balance is corrected before both images, so the temperature of the lights themselves are not really a contributing factor to a huge degree. The axial method (if it has any purpose at all) is most successful for imaging toned proofs. My personal preference is that an axial-type image should always be accompanied by a straight on image. Otherwise it's a bit misleading.

I find axial images alone to be dangerous, particularly when sellers use them to market their coins. Images of this type can hide a lot of surface detail (i.e., hairlines, damage, etc) -- particularly on proofs. Some toned proof coins in HA auctions are imaged in this way, and PCGS TrueView images resemble axial-type images in a lot of ways. They are pretty, and artistic, but you have to be careful!

Regardless, as Catbert mentioned, not much tilt is necessary to see the "wow" factor on this coin. It's a very attractive coin in hand, tilted or not. :) And with the Mark Feld provenance, at least in my book, that says a lot for the coin. (thumbs u

-Brandon