• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 10 things people enjoy on the forum

17 posts in this topic

I was over ATS on a PM I had to send and while there I noticed a thread entitled as such with the overwhelming consensus referencing the vast numismatic knowledge and education imparted. Yeah, I guess. Over here, I'd say, that, too, along with you don't get kicked out for thinking.

I found the thread just a tad bit disingenuous. Why? Because I think the majority of threads ATS and here are one of these things:

1) Showing off coins....which are by far the best threads.

2) Arguing about grades and the TPGs (CAC etc)

3) Arguing about whether a coin is AT or NT

4) Discussion on some evil seller at eBay

So if these are the most common threads then where is this "vast numismatic" knowledge being conveyed? Bill Jones, for example, will post up a historical info thread and get very little response whereas a CAC grading issue is a big deal. WE ALL join in and have this tendency. Grading issues seem to be the most important things on member's mind, IMO. Not "vast numismatic knowledge". Not a shock though since both message board sites are run by TPGs....

jom

#1 - The people. The forum's top strength is without doubt, the people. It always amazes me how busy and knowledgeable dealers and ex-graders, etc., always find time to help others out and to educate them about coins and coin related matters. In this regard, James Garcia (James_EarlyUS), Mark Feld (MarkFeld) and Bill Jones (BillJones) have been helpful to me here and ATS. I also appreciate the scholars on the board including Condor101 (slab varieties) and Roger Burdette (RWB). Shane (Kryptonitecomics), Brandon (Brg??), and John (MessyDesk) and others also contribute regularly to posts and even PMs about coin photography. There are also far too many individual collectors here who are very knowledgeable and helpful as well (including a supermajority of the regular posters here). I won't list any because I don't want to leave any one out, but they know who they are. I find it refreshing that members help each other out here, and more than one poster has even sent me leads on coins that I have ultimately acquired. I generally find the atmosphere to be one of camaraderie.

Woah, woah! You forgot the Post Office threads which usually come in several variants such as:

(1) How long should I wait before I become concerned? I mailed my package by Registered Mail two days ago.

(2) My package was misdelivered and rerouted.

(3) The mailman lost my package, and my personal favorite

(4) The bad :censored: USPS employee wouldn't give me free Priority Mailing tape. :devil:

I hope others can sense the humor and don't take this personally. :roflmao:

Woah, woah! You forgot the Post Office threads which usually come in several variants such as:

(1) How long should I wait before I become concerned? I mailed my package by Registered Mail two days ago.

(2) My package was misdelivered and rerouted.

(3) The mailman lost my package, and my personal favorite

(4) The bad :censored: USPS employee wouldn't give me free Priority Mailing tape. :devil:

I hope others can sense the humor and don't take this personally. :roflmao:

:signfunny:

I for one do read and appreciate all the historical posts and expert opinions. While I read all those posts I don't generally have anything of value to contribute so the posts may remain short, but that does not take away from their value.

Plus I like to look at pretty coins :insane:

Where else would I get to hear the expert opinions of the guys on this board. It is the only place I know I can get unbiased brutally honest opinions without other agendas.

I for one do read and appreciate all the historical posts and expert opinions. While I read all those posts I don't generally have anything of value to contribute so the posts may remain short, but that does not take away from their value.

I agree with this. Usually RWB and BillJones are both very thorough that makes it difficult to add on to what they have said. Moreover, they also sometimes address issues that I have no knowledge/expertise in at all. I read the posts, learn from them, and appreciate them, but if I do not think that a reply from me will meaningfully contribute, I won't post. The same applies to other threads by others on coin photography; I don't know enough of what I am doing with coin photography to meaningful comment and make suggestions to others.

1) There are people here who know more than me. It means that if I'm wrong, I'll get corrected. Bluntly perhaps, but for many people blunt means respect: "I don't think you're a five-year-old girl who will cry. So I can just give it to you straight and honest, like a peer."

2) The unending flow of coins I get to look at, and the grading insights I pick up checking my own impressions against others.

3) Because it is a community, I'd feel pretty safe doing business with any regular. In numismatics, I've really only seen two reputations: a) Impeccable, and b) Marked Lousy Once. No one here would want a reputation impaired, unless he was very foolish, thus if I did want to do business, I'm pretty sure it'd be good business.

4) The substitution of *spoon* for words like *spoon* and *spoon* is *spoon*ing hilarious.

5) Have yet to see any moderator mishandling.

That's a pretty steady flow of advantages in return for not one dime spent by me.

I agree with this. Usually RWB and BillJones are both very thorough that makes it difficult to add on to what they have said. Moreover, they also sometimes address issues that I have no knowledge/expertise in at all. I read the posts, learn from them, and appreciate them, but if I do not think that a reply from me will meaningfully contribute, I won't post. The same applies to other threads by others on coin photography; I don't know enough of what I am doing with coin photography to meaningful comment and make suggestions to others.

I read and appreciate these posts from the experts. I too don't usually post, due to lack of knowledge and not wanting to clutter the thread.

Since day 1 the people have been awesome. Being here on this site, has more of a "friend" feel than others. Here the people talk to you, not at you.

Here you can ask a pretty basic, common sense question and no one gets on you for "being dumb" or a "noob". Instead you get indepth explanations.

Since I don't have tons of time these days, this is the ONLY forum I hang out on.

Now, since I said all these nice things about you people and you want to put a dollar in my virtual cup, my paypal is.... lol

The food is usually good, and the chairs are comfortable.

Aw, Roger, that's not why. You like it, here, because they let you think. Because, you know, when you don't think, therefore, you are not. According to Descartes...

Yep--- everything is a la Descartes.

Actually, in a profound sense, that's rather true. Over there, it doesn't conform to their cuisine, it's not on the menu.

1. The friendships

2. The experienced advice

3. Sharing what I can from my own knowledge

4. Showing off my coins

5. Seeing what people think of them

6. Seeing others' coins.

7. The humor

8. The positive outlet it gives me and how it's a stress manager

9. Show reports

10. The contests

I'll try to list 10 reasons what I enjoy here! These are based on my own experiences here the last 7 yrs.. (Not in any peticular order.)

1. The pace.

2. The quality of Posts.

3. The quaility of our Hosts.

4. The integrity of most our members.

5. The years of knowledge and experience that reside here.

6. The comradering of most our members here.

7. The compassion that some of our members have.

8. The Passion that some of our members have.

9. The Honesty that some of our members have.

10. Last but not least, I enjoy it when I am able to contribute to a post that benefits the question or topic.