• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this a die crack?

13 posts in this topic

Is this a die crack going from the "T" in cent to the second "S" in states? I was looking for the die crack on this coin that was is a 2x2 marked "die crack error" but was posting pictures of the obverse on message boards.

diecrackreverse_zpscf497506.jpg

That actually looks like crud on the coin and not corrosion to me. Someone mentioned about a lamination split starting with the first "U" in UNUM and goes across the wheat. I don't understand this "graininess" of the image. It is the biggest I can make it without having a file that is many gigabytes in size.

That actually looks like crud on the coin and not corrosion to me. Someone mentioned about a lamination split starting with the first "U" in UNUM and goes across the wheat. I don't understand this "graininess" of the image. It is the biggest I can make it without having a file that is many gigabytes in size.

I looked closer and you may be right about the lamination

wheat

It actually wasn't me that noticed the lamination and I didn't even know what that was. A couple people mentioned about the split starting at the first U in "UNUM" that goes across the "E" in One "T" in Cents to 4 O'clock.

It appears to be either a lamination, or a line of ancient glue residue.

I just cataloged a 2-cent that somehow got certified despite significant glue residue on the reverse. At first glance, it has very much the appearance of an extensive network of die-cracks, but I described as the residue that it actually is.

Your coin does not have a die-crack to my eye.