• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Prooflike Trade Dollar, or, What I Did with My Tax Refund

47 posts in this topic

About a month ago, I noticed in my daily search that a seller had listed three Prooflike Trade Dollars. I knew as soon as I saw them that I had to have one of them! You don't see designated PL's very often, although this series commonly comes semi-prooflike. To find one with full, reflective mirrors of sufficient depth to be considered fully prooflike is uncommon. There are a total of 19 graded for the series.

As I mentioned, the dealer in question had three of them. First, he had an 1873 in 62PL (which he wanted way too much money for). The 62 is a bit lower grade than I want for my set, although it is the only example graded for the date (not of much concern to me, as a type collector). Next, he had an 1874 in 63PL, which again he wanted way too much money for. But then I saw he had an 1876 in 63PL, which he had priced quite reasonably. Comparitively speaking, the 1876 is by far the most available in PL (with a total of 7 graded, the highest being 64+). I thought this coin might be suitable for my set, so I negotiated a little, and got it for a good price.

The coin finally came today, and it is spectacular! I've seen plenty of business strike Trade Dollars, and I've seen plenty of proof Trade Dollars (with cameos and such). This PL dollar is magnificent! The coin has full mirrors, with plenty of flash, and stunning cameo contrast. Being a 63, there are quite a few marks but none are really that severe except for just to the left of the eagle (there are also a few wispy hairlines that would go unnoticed on a regular lustrous field, but are obvious on these mirrors - always the curse of a prooflike coin). There is a spot in between AM, but it is very minor. The strike is not hammered, but it is pretty good. Overall, it is a very solid 63, maybe a 63+. I am very proud to add this coin to my set, and I hope you enjoy seeing it! Please give me your comments.

IMG_0096_zps9269e66f.jpg

IMG_0107_zps359c4c01.jpg

That's a beautiful coin! I have a couple of nice Trade dollars in my set but nothing quite like this beauty! On a bit of a different note, how do you feel about Trade dollars with Chopmarks? I've heard some collectors like them and some don't. Which do you prefer? I think the Chops give some these Trade dollars a little more character and adds to the history of the coin. But that's just my opinion!

Chop marks are an interesting historical fact - but they kill the appeal of any coin for me. I understand some collectors like them, but I consider them in the same category as love tokens, potty dollars, and hobo nickels. They are interesting for their history, but I personally would never pay more than a token amount for them.

I much prefer the prooflike coins!

Who wouldn't prefer a prooflike coin? Haha! I paid a little more for my Trade dollars which the chopmarks than you probably would have, but I plan to hang on to them for a long time. I thought it would be nice to have some examples of these coins in my set for educational purposes. I think as long as the Chops arent in the prime focal area, which most of them are, and there arent too many of them, they would make some nice coins. But either way, good score on your PL Trade dollar!

Jason, I'm digging this coin. I think this coin may not be hammered, but it does have a very nice strike. The breast feathers are very well defined. The reverse is absolutely amazing, the cameo contrast is awesome, especially on the reverse.

Me like it very much. A few very minor issues. Some central area weakness, date, motto, liberty sash. All said I would be very happy to own this coin. Nice pick up.

Carl

I've seen several PL TD pieces over the years. In ChMS and better, this quality really adds a dramatic effect to these large handsome coins.

Nice coin. Congrats!

Btw, the 74 is a better date, and under-appreciated by most folks.

EVP

Very nice coin... I have to ask though are all those scratches/marks on the obverse on the holder though ? I assume so... (I dont know anything about grading Trade dollars)

....beautiful. I would keep that for a LONG time.....GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

You should claim more exemptions. Dont give the IRS an interest free loan.

This was the first full year that I had a mortgage, and there was some big changes in my salary half way through the year. I had no idea I was going to get this big of a refund - and my withholdings have already been changed. Thanks.

Very nice coin... I have to ask though are all those scratches/marks on the obverse on the holder though ? I assume so... (I dont know anything about grading Trade dollars)

Some of them are, some of them aren't. The coin definitely deserves the 63 grade, but the slab is a little scratched up as well.

Beautiful Trade dollar. I just picked up one from the Lowcountry Coin Show for my type set too. Your photographic skills are top notch as well.

What led you to select a MS63 vs 62 or 64?

Who wouldn't prefer a prooflike coin?

Personally, I prefer rolling luster. Prooflike branch mint coins are kinda cool, but if I wanted a prooflike Philly, I'd buy a proof.

Great looking coin!

Tradedollarnut,

Your website looks nice. Spending that amount of $ on coins makes me wonder what type of law or medicine do you practice?

(thumbs u

He doesn't practice either.............Nice coin Jason!

MJ