• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Toned Peace in Legend-Morphy Auction

228 posts in this topic

OK, gentlemen - I made a point of viewing this coin in hand today. IMO, a stone cold 65 with spectacular color. In the opinion of Martin Paul - world class grader who happened to be seating next to me - a technical 65- with color that just isn't seen on a Peace Dollar making it an easy 65.

Thus far, those who have viewed it in person, seem to be grading it higher than those who haven't. ;)

I actually find this very interesting, all from this thread that have viewed the coin agree with the 65 grade and imo you all are highly respected and more than qualified to offer an accurate assessment. So why 7 times for PCGS?

Nick

Good question. There IS a big jump in price from 64 to 65 so maybe PCGS needed some convincing the coin had a market value at 65. They are on the hook if they screw it up. But, yeah, I know...that's "market grading" but it's my best guess. (shrug)

jom

IMO, once you make the statement that toned Peace dollars are AT, it takes some convincing to go to gem....

That makes no sense...

Do you mean PCGS will grade toned AT Peace $ just not at gem level unless someone pays 7 grading fees ?

Nice !

Final sale price: $11,500.00

(plus bp / sh / ins )

Hooray Hooray ! Its nice to see a toned Peace $ go for that much!

Well it still didnt break any premium records though...Larry Shapiro (corrected) got a MS66 for $5300...

This one brought about a $4000 premium for the toning and/or name... and/or bragging rights. Pick one, or two or all three.

Whats the over/under price when it comes up for sale again ?

$10,000 - $11,000 - $12,000 - $12,500 - $13,000 ?

Anyone want to venture a guess ?

(plus bp / sh / ins )

Well it still didnt break any premium records though...Larry Shepard's got a MS66 for $5300...

This one brought about a $4000 premium for the toning and/or name... and/or bragging rights. Pick one, or two or all three.

Well it wasn't for the name.It wasn't ex Duckor.

MJ

(plus bp / sh / ins )

Well it still didnt break any premium records though...Larry Shepard's got a MS66 for $5300...

Did Larry Shepherd sell his at that price? If not, it doesn't count as a premium record. And you should know better than that.

It was just a beautiful coin. Very beautiful

I heard that from everyone who actually viewed it. All of which were non Peace dollar guys.

MJ

(plus bp / sh / ins )

Did Larry Shepherd sell his at that price? If not, it doesn't count as a premium record. And you should know better than that.

No I dont think Shapiro sold it yet... but the 23-S still didnt set a premium record - it only commanded a .5x premium as compared to its Grey Sheet price. Unless you consider the coin an MS64 (which PCGS did 7x) then it did probably set a premium record at 25-30x sheet - which is huge ! There have been numerous common date toned Peace $ that have sold for 10x and some even 20x their bid price but none that I know of close to 30x.

(plus bp / sh / ins )

No I dont think Shapiro sold it yet... but the 23-S still didnt set a premium record - it only commanded a .5x premium as compared to its Grey Sheet price. Unless you consider the coin an MS64 (which PCGS did 7x) then it did probably set a premium record at 25-30x sheet - which is huge ! There have been numerous common date toned Peace $ that have sold for 10x and some even 20x their bid price but none that I know of close to 30x.

For the last time..... THE COIN IS A NO BRAINER MS65!!!Forget about the the atleast 7 submissions.... You act like we pay PCGS to graded coins or something!

Did ankur win this?

He said no to winning anything in this auction ATS.

MJ

So now that he's been reinstated ATS he's too cool to post anywhere except the Marketplace? lol

Just messin with you Ankur... but at least stop by and say hi!!