• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Colorfully Toned Proof Lincoln Collection (74 Years of Proofs)

26 posts in this topic

I posted this on the CU and CT forums, so surf to other threads if you've already seen it

I have been working on a colorfully-toned Proof Lincoln Cent collection since July of 2011 and I am getting close to being somewhat finished with only a few holes left, which is kind of a remarkable feat.

New coins recently added were the 1912 Matte Proof, 1936 Satin Proof (upgrade), the ultra rare (in the toned coin realm) 1959, the 3 SMS coins (not technically proofs), a monster PR68 upgrade to my 1969-S, and nice placeholders for 1972-S, 1973-S, 1977-S, 1981-S Filled S and Clear S. Finally, the brand new PR67RB 1978-S might also be considered a monster as I bet it will be the latest-date Proof Lincoln I will ever find with a lot of deep color that is gradeable.

Once you get into the mid 1970's, finding gradeable colorfully-toned Lincoln Proofs gets really difficult. I guess the 1980s and 1990s are just too recent to have any colorfully toned examples -- so I might cut this set off at 1982, which is a good stopping point since that marks the end of the 95% copper 5% zinc alloy run. (Starting in 1983, the composition of Lincolns was changed to copper plated zinc).

I also tweaked my coin boards to add the PCGS grade underneath each coin and I designed a new "cover" to my digital set making the set look more like a coin folder or album. All photos are by Phil Arnold.

I think my favorite single coin on each board is: 1914, 1937, 1955, 1961, 1966, 1971-S, 1978-S -- but you might have your own favorites.

Some of the eye-appealing runners-up are: 1909, 1913, 1915, 1936 Satin, 1940, 1941, 1951, 1957, 1959, 1964, 1968-S, 1969-S, 1975-S.

Degree of difficulty in putting a set like this together: "Extreme to nearly impossible". I doubt I will ever complete it due to the expense and rarity of the 1909 vdb and the 1916.

Some of these coins are extreme rarities even though the Price Guides don't reflect it. For example my 1975-S is the only PCGS-graded BN Proof Lincoln Cent known that year. Many years have slabbed Proof BN counts in the single digits (most are 1 or 2 total). RB's are more plentiful, but it's not so easy finding some RB's as visually appealing as the 1955 or 1957 for example. Some RD's show stunning color, like my 1951 which I bought last year on the BST board from the toned coin collector Ibndalight.

Some of the color classifications are subject to question as I think that my 1960 Small Date should have been classified a RB not a RD. And I think some of the RB's should have been classified BN's, like the 1959 and 1978-S.

Master_CoverCream.jpg

Master_MatteProofCreamG.jpg

Master_PreWarWheatCreamG.jpg

Master_PostWarWheatCreamG.jpg

Master_PMintMemorialCreamG.jpg

Master_SMSCreamG.jpg

Master_SMintMemorialCreamG.jpg

Master_SMintMemorialCream2G.jpg

Those are gorgeous coins and presented beautifully.

You should be proud of your accomplishments.

+1. A very nice set. I like the 1982 cutoff as well.

What a WOW set is going on! (thumbs u

I never imagined that there exist so many nicely toned Lincolns and here we go, I see them in one thread!

You must be Proud! Good luck! :applause::applause::applause:

Wow! What a spectacular looking and presented set!!! The fact that you did this in 18 months blows my mind :o

Thanks again for a look at Candy Land..............MJ

Awesome set and presentation!

My favorites per page from your set are: 1910, 1937, 1950, 1961, 1966, 1970-S 1975-S very close second) and the 1978-S.

Overall favorite has to be the '70-S.

WL did an incredible job, not only with finding these little monsters, but with a presentation that is second to none.

I always look forward to his show and tell threads. There is never a shortage of finesse in how he shows his work and an explosion of color. (worship)(worship)

Bob, I'm smelling a competition here!!

Not really a competition. WL is a great friend of mine and we both support each other's collecting habits.

We occasionally go head to head, but not often. He has several beauties that I want, and I have some he would love to have. On occasion we've even made trades.

I'm in awe of his presentations and genious of putting together websites of similar mastery.

Not really a competition. WL is a great friend of mine and we both support each other's collecting habits.

We occasionally go head to head, but not often. He has several beauties that I want, and I have some he would love to have. On occasion we've even made trades.

I'm in awe of his presentations and genious of putting together websites of similar mastery.

That's what I tell all my closest friends who I'm trying to get one up on!! lol

That's what I tell all my closest friends who I'm trying to get one up on!! lol

Sam!!! Shhhhhh!! :taptaptap: