• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Perhaps THE most beautifully toned Capped Bust Half I have ever seen....

192 posts in this topic

Ankur, if you can say, what price or prices were you quoted? Thanks.

The first time I think it was in 2007 or 2008 and the price was $900!

The second time I saw it at a show in 2009 and it was $1200 I think.

:makepoint::insane:

That was an amazing price. I'm surprised that you passed on it. This piece seems right up your alley (as well as a few other posters here).

I used to own this coin. I paid $3500 for it. It is beautiful!!!

1831halfobv_zps689dea06.jpg

1831halfrev_zps8d374bc3.jpg

MUCH better photo there DF. Great coin but I'm going to have to disagree with Feld (if DF's photo is accurate) a little bit here. It's very nice but I actually like a couple that I own a bit better. But that's just personal taste really...no big deal. The center of the obverse is rather extraordinary though.....

What I DO know I wouldn't pay much more than $2k for this one....

I'm curious how did the price go from DF at $3500 to Ankur at $900. What's the timeline on that...???hm

jom

It's not quite as nice as I expected it to be from the NEW DF images but I still like it.

I'd never pay 3500 for it, though!! Maybe-1500 but NOT more.

I don't pay big premiums for color, anyway, so the 1500 is an estimate based upon the assumption that I was a toner person.

The OGH and the CAC sticker are likely helping it along in the price dept. It's still a very nice & unique coin.

It's not quite as nice as I expected it to be from the NEW DF images but I still like it.

I don't pay big premiums for color, anyway, so the 1500 is an estimate based upon the assumption that I was a toner person.

The OGH and the CAC sticker are likely helping it along in the price dept. It's still a very nice & unique coin.

I think it looks better in person. ;)

I think it looks better in person. ;)

The bid is currently at $1997.50. Good luck to bidders. IMO the toning on this coin is in no way worth a thousand dollars plus over the average selling price for a Bust Half in this condition. If DF got from under this coin at $3500.00 God bless him and God bless P. T. Barnum.

Nice and unique is one thing. But being totally buried in a coin is quite another thing. Hey to each their own. I guess if you really love a coin, price is no object.

Carl

These are my thoughts exactly. The color is great in the center but the rest looks unapealing, based on the new pictures. Considering the bidders don't necessarily know what the coin looks like in person; I, too, wonder if it is not the Gold sticker helping it along.

These are my thoughts exactly. The color is great in the center but the rest looks unapealing, based on the new pictures. Considering the bidders don't necessarily know what the coin looks like in person; I, too, wonder if it is not the Gold sticker helping it along.

Come on, a gold sticker on an AU53 example of that type is not going to add value that takes the coin to an MS63 price level. It's the color, plain and simple.

Come on, a gold sticker on an AU53 example of that type is not going to add value that takes the coin to an MS63 price level. It's the color, plain and simple.

I really don't think it does, especially in this case, but there have been enough cases of sticker/plastic mania that have resulted in the actual coin being marginalized that it's not always unreasonable to ask that question. For this coin, however, it's the color that's driving the price.

It only takes a few enamored bidders, not a majority, to set the price for this coin. I think that's what it's worth.

Lance.

Don't forget the clowns! :whee:

jom

Looks like a "mushy" strike to my eyes, anyone else agree?

The coin appears to have a slightly better than average strike from this pair of dies, in this die-state.

I agree with that assessment, James.

There are many bidders on this lot who have not seen the coin in person, and who may be relying on the sticker as an insurance policy. Gold sticker coins can sell for multiples of normal price.

It's also a green label and looks undergraded, and I certainly do not use AU53 as a price point here. I would judge it an AU58 with great color, possibly fabulous color (not having seen any other pictures).

This price of this coin now at this price level has absolutely has nothing to do with grade, strike, gold sticker, slab type etc...........The fact that it is in a problem free holder and has the eye appeal that several collectors crave makes up for at least 95% of the price imho.

The winning bidder will not care what it's worth to anyone commenting in this thread is my guess.

MJ

This price of this coin now at this price level has absolutely has nothing to do with grade, strike, gold sticker, slab type etc...........The fact that it is in a problem free holder and has the eye appeal that several collectors crave makes up for at least 95% of the price imho.

The winning bidder will not care what it's worth to anyone commenting in this thread is my guess.

MJ

And they shouldn't care what anybody thinks, if you actually paid what something was worth based on others peoples opinions, would automobiles sell for many multiples of 10 or 100 thousand dollars? what do they do that my 1999 saturn sl-1 doesn't do in reality?

It's a great coin but frankly if I were selling a coin like that I would feel uneasy to be responsible for irrational exuberance and possibly buyer's regret when the buyer gets home and has to tell his friends and family what he paid.... That's why I would probably sell it at a fixed price, say $2K so it is a win/win situation. Look, there are a lot of wonder coins out there. FJ Vollmer once sold me a 1907 $20 Lib in MS63 with spectacular luster as a common coin! I sold it to Lee Minschull when those dates were carrying a significant premium...

It's a great coin but frankly if I were selling a coin like that I would feel uneasy to be responsible for irrational exuberance and possibly buyer's regret when the buyer gets home and has to tell his friends and family what he paid.... That's why I would probably sell it at a fixed price, say $2K so it is a win/win situation.

Since when is a dealer responsible for a buyer's remorse? Offer a return and refund within a reasonable time. If the buyer is competent to contract and he doesn't return that's his business how he wants to justify with his friends and family. That's how I see it.

Problem solved - there are no returns at auction.

Well then if that's the context in which he's speaking, i.e., a winning bidder at auction, it's even worse, right, holding the seller for when a winning bidder loses his or her head? That's what "irrational exuberance" is, isn't it? And that's what paying money for tarnish is.

After reading some of the further comments here, I checked the listing again, thinking bidding had gotten to some astronomical number. It was still at the $1997 it was when the thread started.

In the grand scheme of things, $2k isn't all that much money anymore, for just about anyone living in Western Civilization. Even making minimum wage, a person could easily save up enough to buy this in a few months or so, if they really wanted it.

I understand that it is aggressive for the date, series, and grade...but it's not, say, the cost of a new (or even decent used) car, and even if someone was "buried" in it, that's not that much dirt.

After reading some of the further comments here, I checked the listing again, thinking bidding had gotten to some astronomical number. It was still at the $1997 it was when the thread started.

In the grand scheme of things, $2k isn't all that much money anymore, for just about anyone living in Western Civilization. Even making minimum wage, a person could easily save up enough to buy this in a few months or so, if they really wanted it.

I understand that it is aggressive for the date, series, and grade...but it's not, say, the cost of a new (or even decent used) car, and even if someone was "buried" in it, that's not that much dirt.

I believe that when I started the thread, the high bid was ("only") approximately $1100-$1200 hammer. But, I agree with you that the current level isn't likely to put someone that far underground.

While that toning would probably burry the owner if it was on a morgan, Id say it is unique enough for a bust that as long as color stays hot, it will sell.