• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Perhaps THE most beautifully toned Capped Bust Half I have ever seen....

192 posts in this topic

I think it's the rainbow ROYGBIV quality that makes this CBH really pop. The colors almost seem to glow as if there was some sort of internal light source or they were some sort of ghostly apparition.

Another very appealing quality of the 1831 CBH (from a color perspective) are the incredibly smooth transitions between colors, there is just very little choppiness. I think it might be the smoothness of the color transitions that makes this coin especially visually appealing -- and makes the color seem more lit up -- or what you would see as light source colors blend together.

One last thing that I think might make the CBH especially interesting visually is it displays a SINGLE classic rainbow in the classic color order ROY G BIV occurring in a somewhat circular (or at least concentric ring) pattern -- red on the outside, and violet towards the center. This single rainbow color pattern is a quality that I think is really rare.

Rainbow_NeonCBH2.jpg

With many other "neon-like" coins , the colors seem to repeat and are a bit mixed up and don't follow the classic ROYGBIV progression.

Perhaps they are following the Sunnywood Toned Coin Color Progression instead?

Sunnywood_NeonLincoln.jpg

I am curious Mark ... if it's not a secret ... How much did you bid for the coin? What was your high bid?

I am guessing since you saw the coin live, your enthusiasm must have been through the roof and pushed your bid higher.

I bid $1645, including the buyer's premium. I have a thread on the "Numismatic General" forum, which discusses my bidding in the auction. And it includes a list of each of the nearly 300 lots I bid on, what I bid and what they sold for.

When was the coin CACd

No idea, but it was slabbed a long time ago ... I think sometime between 1990 and 1995 if my info is right.

This is the Heritage auction slab shot. Heritage photos are always quite muted when it comes to color.

1831CBH_SlabO.jpg

Thanks for the bid info Mark -- that's interesting.

Just a reminder that the coin is wilder and much more vibrant in hand. None of the posted images show how spectacular it really looks.
i beg to differ mark. I take very accurate photos and it depicts this coin well. The photos are not juiced either ;

You had no need to state that your photos aren't juiced, considering that I'd already opined that the coin was wilder and more vibrant in hand. ;)

And we will have to agree to disagree, as I think the coin looks better in person. I often say the same about other coins, no matter how good the photographer is. Even excellent photos aren't a substitute for in hand examination of coins.

Just a reminder that the coin is wilder and much more vibrant in hand. None of the posted images show how spectacular it really looks.
i beg to differ mark. I take very accurate photos and it depicts this coin well. The photos are not juiced either ;

You had no need to state that your photos aren't juiced, considering that I'd already opined that the coin was wilder and more vibrant in hand. ;)

And we will have to agree to disagree, as I think the coin looks better in person. I often say the same about other coins, no matter how good the photographer is. Even excellent photos aren't a substitute for in hand examination of coins.

And Playboy Models, and Victoria Models, and.....nevermind, just distracted for a moment.

yes they always do, but it does a pretty good job of depicting the coin very well I think.

Interesting...I wonder if Ankur would consider sending me the coin to get a photo. hm I'd love to see it!

jom