• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Perhaps THE most beautifully toned Capped Bust Half I have ever seen....

192 posts in this topic

Sadly, the images wont show you what it really looks like, but is is wild looking and gorgeous.

Based on the current bidding, it appears that one or more other bidders share my enthusiasm. For the record, I have already been outbid.

The image doesn't even really hint at how beautiful this one is

OGH + Gold Bean + Nice Color+ Nice Coin = Crazy Money for otherwise $300 coin.

With 1911 graded higher (both PCGS and NGC), I bet you can find a nicer one for less money.

OGH + Gold Bean + Nice Color+ Nice Coin = Crazy Money for otherwise $300 coin.

With 1911 graded higher (both PCGS and NGC), I bet you can find a nicer one for less money.

Depends on your definition of nicer. If it means technical grade then yes. If it means better toned and better looking then perhaps not. $300 coins do not look like this.

MJ

I agree it's not $300 coin, but I can't agree with $1410 (with BP) price tag just for the color. I mean obverse is max AU58 and reverse is max AU55,so this coin is technically max AU55 and never will be MS coin.

Of course that is just my opinion and because of that I will not be bidding on this coin. ;)

I would counter that the grade is secondary and doesn't matter much on coins like this. Lay the universe of CHB's end to end with the grades covered up and ask which are the ten most beautifully toned and this coin may come up often. The experience of ownership of this magnificent looking piece will carry the day and not whether the obverse is a 58 and reverse is a 55. For some it won't matter. I do understand your point, I just don't subscribe to it.

MJ

I bet it's stunning in hand!! I trust Mark's opinion, as well.

1410 w/BP does not seem too extreme to me.

It's certainly much better than paying 4K for a $150 Morgan w/a rainbow effect.

Much rarer, too.

Actually I'm not competent to comment on topic like this, so I will just simply agree with Mark and MJ opinion. It's nice coin indeed and it will look great in new owner's collection.

Much rarer, too.

+1, especially the part about overpriced dime-a-dozen colored Morgans! :baiting:

Brol

I believe your original stated opinion maybe actually in the majority. Horse races are funny things though. There is no right or wrong here. Happy Holiday's.

MJ

Much rarer, too.

+1, especially the part about overpriced dime-a-dozen colored Morgans! :baiting:

I guess it largely comes down to supply and demand. There are far, far more beautifully toned Morgans than there are Capped Bust Half Dollars. But there are also a great many more collectors of the former.

And, while this Bust Half will sell for multiples of what a generic looking one would bring, the premium will likely pale in comparison to that seen for monster toned Morgans.

I wish you folks could see what it really looks like - outrageous.

Also, in answer to an earlier question, I do not plan to bid on it again, but.....

I agree it's not $300 coin, but I can't agree with $1410 (with BP) price tag just for the color. I mean obverse is max AU58 and reverse is max AU55,so this coin is technically max AU55 and never will be MS coin.

Wait until you see what it hammers for.

Many CBH collectors would prefer a nice high AU to a low MS. They are often more expensive too.

Lance.

Wait until you see what it hammers for.

Many CBH collectors would prefer a nice high AU to a low MS. They are often more expensive too.

Lance.

Some collectors see "grade" as value. Others see the eye appeal. Neither is "right"...personal choice. If the coin is as nice as Mark says it might bring $2k. (shrug)

I'm sure the gold sticker will add value as well...MORE than it should probably...it really only says the coin is undergraded. It's definitely NOT reflection of the toning...just that it should be a 55 or 58 or whatever (maybe even MS...I don't know).

jom

I'm sure the gold sticker will add value as well...MORE than it should probably...it really only says the coin is undergraded. It's definitely NOT reflection of the toning...just that it should be a 55 or 58 or whatever (maybe even MS...I don't know).

jom

Is that really the case? Are you saying that market grading (toning premiums) is not a factor in CAC's determination?

jom

Is that really the case? Are you saying that market grading (toning premiums) is not a factor in CAC's determination?

Personally, I don't see "market grading" or "toning premiums" affecting the grades of circulated coins, like they do uncirculated and Proof examples.

Lay the universe of CHB's end to end with the grades covered up and ask which are the ten most beautifully toned and this coin may come up often. The experience of ownership of this magnificent looking piece will carry the day and not whether the obverse is a 58 and reverse is a 55.

MJ

Understandable and compelling argument. Nice post.

It looks like it has potential, but I've yet to see any photos that could really bring to like truly stunningly toned coins - so I'll trust Mark's judgement on this one!

Pretty coin, but it is a very common Bust Half Dollar, and I agree with the PCGS grade of AU53. I place more value on rarity than pretty colors. To me it would only be worth about $500. JMHO

I agree, Mozin. I'm a little surprised by the gold sticker.

Still, I bet it is stunning in hand. I'd pay a premium for it but not $2,000, where it is right now.

It's just another pretty face. But very easy on the eyes.

Lance.

You have all seen Marks descriptions, he does not gush about coins, but this one has his interest in a big way. It must be the Holy Grail of busts. And apparently he is not the only one to think so.

Pretty coin, but it is a very common Bust Half Dollar, and I agree with the PCGS grade of AU53. I place more value on rarity than pretty colors. To me it would only be worth about $500. JMHO

It looks like an AU55 to me; however, the difference between pricing is so minute that the gold sticker shouldn't really matter (although I know it will probably add some to the price realized).

Sadly, the images wont show you what it really looks like

I normally can "interpret" Heritage images quite well, but based on your enthusiasm and comments, this particular image must utterly useless. From what's provided, even optimistically, I'd interpret it as an average coin.