• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are grading companies saying...

11 posts in this topic

They are saying nothing of earth shattering significance. Some coins are not worth enough to make certifying them economically viable. Some people get them graded anyway. Just because someone spent money on something does not mean that you have enhanced its value.

Look at it from another perspective. You can build a huge, expensive house in a poor neighborhood, but its value will still be depressed, probably or perhaps below the cost of building it because the market value of real estate in that area is low. The same thing applies to coins. A very common coin is still common despite the fact that one paid to have an expert certify its grade and authenticity.

I would presume that most graded low value coins are bulk submissions. With the exception of those just preferring to slab a special coin or prefer a certified collection.

I would presume that most graded low value coins are bulk submissions. With the exception of those just preferring to slab a special coin or prefer a certified collection.

people submit coins for grading that are worthless, raw or graded.

couple of months ago, i bought 113 ngc and anacs graded coins for 60 cents each (yes, i said 60 cents each), and i'm selling in the junk box for $2 each. ms63-4 RD modern lincolns, ms64-5 state quarters, circulated (!) roosevelt dime etc etc.. i thought, too, these were bulk submission rejects, but only 3 had the same serial number (shrug)

I have purchased certified coins that were worth less than their slabbing fee. The reason was that I wanted to complete my type set on the registry. It is a "consumption act" as my old economics professor used to say because I'll never get my money back on those pieces. But I have the only 100% complete U.S. coin type set on the NGC registry.

About their services, when a graded coin is price guide listed as less than the cost of grading a coin?

"Thank You! Come again!"

jom

I have purchased certified coins that were worth less than their slabbing fee. The reason was that I wanted to complete my type set on the registry. It is a "consumption act" as my old economics professor used to say because I'll never get my money back on those pieces. But I have the only 100% complete U.S. coin type set on the NGC registry.
A HUGE accomplishment! (worship)

Is the OP impying that the base price for a graded coin should be it's grading fee plus its Face Value?

If so, whose to say the coin was graded with Modern, Economy, Regular or the Bulk Service?