• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pawn Stars..Customer with a NGC details Trade dollar...

26 posts in this topic

The guy who sold them a horde of silver once, walked in with a 1874-S Trade Dollar. NGC Certified AU Details, with one chopmark...The guy said he wants $1,000 but won't take less than $500. (I can't recall what designation was on the label as to why it was a details holder.)

Cory offers the guy $400. The guy claimed that "on the internet, they are selling for $1,000!"

Cory put his 2c in, and the guy accepted the offer of $400. (from what was shown, Cory did not consult anyone nor a priceguide.

I was able to grab the 2012 Red Book and check the estimated value. I do have the 2013 Red Book, but it is in my office, I was in my bedroom.

It lists the value for an AU-50 at $325. I took into consideration that the said coin is graded AU Details, so possibly, the coin's value could be about $300 today?

My 1st question: If you were presented with a same date Trade Dollar with one Chopmark in an AU Details holder, and you saw that the value listed in the Red Book for AU50 is $325, what would you offer the owner?

My 2nd question: Do you think Cory offered $400 because he made a "blind offer" and didn't consult FMV or a price guide? Or do you think Cory offered that amount because he is on a highly popular TV show?

-Dave

For me, a chopmarked Trade dollar in even high grade is worth no more than $100, because I do not like counterstamps in general. However, there are some extremely rare chopmarks that could elevate the value of the coin substantially.

Perhaps it was one of those rare chopmarks? If not, then I'd think $400 was way too much.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

If anyone is expecting this show to be accurate, then I have a bridge to sell them...

Wait, that's next week's show!

If anyone is expecting this show to be accurate, then I have a bridge to sell them...

Ditto. JMO, there is no such thing as a reality show when there is a camera in your face. All these shows are extremely over-dramatized to get ratings!!

C'mon, why do you have to go and spoil a good conversation by using Logic and Truth?

People like you should not be allowed to comment on Pawn Stars.....

Firstly, if the "details" holder was because of the chopmark (and not some other problem of the coin), then there are lots of people who collect such pieces. I don't personally, but I believe PCGS even puts chopmarked pieces in a regular holder with full assigned grades, just noting on the holder "chop marked".

Nonetheless, I agree with the others. This show is so melodramatic, it's hard to even watch sometimes.

jackpot, give the mand a cigar ( to be smoked outside if you wish )

I am assuming you used "mand" on purpose.

Skinner fan?

I don't think that Cory was being dramatic. He's just stupid and doesn't know the worth of anything. He lowballs everyone, even when they give him their lowest, best price. He probably thinks he got a good deal. He overpaid by about 100 bucks. The difference was not really that big, so this is the WHY that I don't think it was scripted----just arrogant stupidity.

Charmey H was a contenstant/seller/cast member about a year ago. Did they ever ask her to come back as a numismatic expert?

Charmey H was a contenstant/seller/cast member about a year ago. Did they ever ask her to come back as a numismatic expert?

They were supposed to but, if they have, I don't believe that the episode has aired yet.

Firstly, if the "details" holder was because of the chopmark (and not some other problem of the coin), then there are lots of people who collect such pieces. I don't personally, but I believe PCGS even puts chopmarked pieces in a regular holder with full assigned grades, just noting on the holder "chop marked".

Nonetheless, I agree with the others. This show is so melodramatic, it's hard to even watch sometimes.

PCGS does grade chop marked Trade Dollars. I have seen them. The chop is not in an obvious place, and the coin is marked as such.

That kind of show is cheap entertainment - nothing more.

(tsk) It's on the History channel. It's American educational TV at its finest. Flip on that channel and watch Sasquatch Attack II or Swamp Stalker and you'll see how real and accurate it is.

(tsk) It's on the History channel. It's American educational TV at its finest. Flip on that channel and watch Sasquatch Attack II or Swamp Stalker and you'll see how real and accurate it is.

You're thinking of the SyFy channel, home of the WWWWWWWWWF!

jom

jom

I wish I was: History Channel Schedule

As an aside - I happened to catch a couple of the History Channel's "Mankind The Story of All of Us" series. Awful!! Jumbled, inaccurate, poorly designed and a complete failure to illustrate the 10,000 year history of humanity. The one I turned off last night claimed the Aztec civilization was older than the Egyptian. In another, claims about the Roman Empire were not even as inaccurate as some of Gibbon's 18th century “historical” presumptions.

Maybe it should be called the “Pretend History Channel.”

As for a chopmarked trade dollar - they are either mutilated or incomprehensible artifacts of Asian economy.

jom

I wish I was: History Channel Schedule

+1

There are actually 2 History Channels that I am aware of.

There is the History Channel and H2.

IMO, The History Channel has some nice modern shows about American History like American Pickers, How the States Got There Shapes, and many others.

I'm 22, always loved channels such as the History Channel, mainly because my Grandfather was a WW2 Veteran and I loved shows and specials about World War 2 and every war.

H2, shows a different variety of historical/educational shows. Many older broadcasted shows and some newer ones.

But in regards to Pawn Stars being merely for entertainment, I agree to an extent. Still, Pawn Stars has more of education and history, but in a retail venue. On the other side of the coin...Hardcore Pawn is high quality entertainment for people who like to feel better about themselves.

If you want "Reality TV", turn on TRUTV...."Not reality, actuality".....100% true! Nothing is real on that channel, all the shows are scripted and plain pathetic. Except for the show Worlds Dumbest :popcorn:...

Speaking of horrible shows, did anyone hear about what is going on with Storage Wars? Dave Hester got fired from the show and he is now suing the producers for $750,000. He also outed the producers saying that they put stuff in the storage units before the auction to spice it up for ratings. :facepalm:. Yep..If anyone watching that show really thought that a guy would leave a brand new BMW in a storage unit, and then forget to pay the rent...Ha, good job!.

-Dave

Amazing... I hadn't heard that about the storage wars show, but then again, i never really watched it. Locally where I live, the American Pickers guys showed up at a place close to me. There was quite an article about it in the local paper. Apparently the producers called 2 weeks before they came and then a week before, came out and looked the place over to see if there was any items wworth picking. Watching the show you would think these guys have never been to the property before and dont even know where they are going. Basically my take on reality tv is that its a lot easier to produce since you dont need any real creative content and plot. The pawn stars guys are probably nice guys, but basically chowder heads that happened to be in the right place at the right tim to get a tv show. They aren't any better than any other pawn shop owners and perhaps left to their own devices worse than some. Their "lecture" on the trade dollar and its history was obviously scripted. I wonder if they would have even known what it was without the help of the production staff. The fact that people activly seek them out as celebrities makes me wonder if the general population has taken leave of their senses.

I think it was high since I see trade dollars on Ebay all the time for much less. I don't know how he got that $1000 price tag. People list stuff on Ebay for all sorts of crazy prices that never sell.

A CC would sell for that much.

Charmy's episode did air and unfortunately she had to deal with Cory, but I was surprised to see that she was selling a piece of aviation history instead of a coin! I think it was an aerial camera or sight from a B-25 bomber. Not 100% sure though.

I was actually in an episode of "Storage Wars" by accident. I went to pay the rent for my unit and the entire complex had taken on a carnival like atmosphere, with box-trucks everywhere & Barry's car parked out front. I told a friend that the film crew might cut me out because they wouldn't want to show the "ugly guy", but he quickly reassured me that, if they didn't want ugly guys on that show, Brandy would be the only star.

C'mon, why do you have to go and spoil a good conversation by using Logic and Truth?

People like you should not be allowed to comment on Pawn Stars.....

I got my good laugh outta that one John!!....Thanks!!