• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thankful to NGC once again for a GREAT NEWP!

40 posts in this topic

I had begun the serious search for a MS 64 1917-S Obv.

I thought and expected that it would be a very long, costly and difficult hunt. I had actually been watching for them for YEARS and had seen very little to date.

Well, I happened upon this NGC example just out of the blue---it is well struck, smooth and lusterous and was priced decently.

I am most happy this night. :grin: and I just wanted to share.

Add yet another one of my FAVORITE coins, in my whole set, to the fact that it is an NGC encapsulated coin! I'm so glad that I'm NOT a Kool-Aid drinker!!

1917so64me_zpsb957129d.jpg

1917so64mer_zps2d7766a5.jpg

man I need me a obverse mm walker!

:thumbsup: No Doubt---You should indulge yourself in one. I'll tell you what----they have intrigued and fascinated me since Day One.

Man that walker is a beast......imagine if ngc would put that in the black slabs.....drooooool

Also, how COOL!! I bet that this coin would look STUNNING in a black NGC slab!

Thank You all, for the comments, so far. I only wish you could see it in person---it is much more lusterous and sharper than even these images portray.

Tom B. is right---the surfaces on these early Walkers are different---they were more granular and the luster was more silky satin and pearly looking. They're just absolutely gorgeous!

Please keep the comments coming----I love talking Walkers!

I only wish you could see it in person

That can be arranged, I am on a knife forum and they have a loaner? program where people add their name to a list for different knives and it gets mailed from one person to another. Just a thought

I only wish you could see it in person

That can be arranged, I am on a knife forum and they have a loaner? program where people add their name to a list for different knives and it gets mailed from one person to another. Just a thought

Sure, George---send me a 1921-S in MS 64 to inspect and then maybe we can work something out. :devil:;)

I would have returned it, is oh.......................20-30 years, give or take.haha and you would have had the others as collateral

lol I'm sorry, my friend, but that wouldn't have quite covered it. :)

I'm glad that you like my coin, though, and thanks for making me smile with your good humor.

It's a great looking coin, and she even has a pretty decent looking left hand. Of course, I don't collect the series, so maybe all of the early issues were that way.

Chris

THANKS, EVERYONE!

Since Chris brought up the strike, I want to talk about it and also some other features of this coin for just a little bit.

The thumb is fully struck and so are the other delineations, including the ALL IMPORTANT third branch stem segment, wnich is FULLY defined. You can even see the fingers and knuckles, which are NOT visible, many times, on a 17 S OBV MS 64 coin---I have looked at SOOO MANY of them that are not fully defined and split in some or all of these areas. The Head is full, too, but this is less of a weakness problem area for this issue. The skirtlines are 99% there and MANY times they will not be on other examples. Although these ones exhibit overall weakness, you can actually see each and every delineation on them, separately, and MANY times you will not be able to see that with this issue, either. Usually, they are only partially visible. The reverse breast feathers and the trailing leg are quite sharp, too. The trailing leg is almost ALWAYS the weakest part of ANY Walker, so if you have good feather definition on that trailing leg, well then, you usually have a pretty good coin.

The Luster on this issue usually comes quite BAD---just like the 1919-S issue that I so struggled with before and it MAY BE even WORSE of a problem than it is for that issue---it's AT LEAST as bad. So, although, this coin has been dipped, it is still BRILLIANT and vibrant with very good cartwheel and curving luster that I have spoken of before---it is there on both sides. Surfaces are a beautiful PEARL color---about as close to original as you can get or hope for. Just as Mark Feld has said and QDB also stated this in his book---'Unless a coin was part of a large gov't hoard, you will NOT see a coin dated prior to 1930 that has NOT been dipped.' So often is this coin issue dull and lifeless on other examples that I have seen and some have dip residue, too---not this one. :) The reverse of this particular example has some pretty magenta hues when held up in the light, too.

The Surface preservation on this coin is VERY GOOD. I see NO HAIRLINES and the right facing field above the motto is silky smooth. I see ONE TINY whispy abrasion and one tiny tick and BOTH are so small that they are only visible with a 10X loupe. The right facing breast looks GREAT, too---there's no friction there, WHATSOEVER, and the luster is COMPLETELY unbroken in all areas of the piece.

so what you are saying is..............its ok

Yes, that would be a safe assumption. It was also my intent to give a more precise desciption of my Newp, while also sharing a little bit of what I know about this issue with you.

I can tell it excites you, and that is great, kinda like I get with a new gun.

Yes, that's true. :) I also like guns, too. :thumbsup:

Which kinda puts to rest the idea of him keeping the coin for 20 or 30 years in an "exchange". lol

Nice pick up! I've never had the patience for collecting early Walkers. The vast majority are so bad (along with expensive prices) I never found any I liked.

jom

i love the skin on the coin very much so and it does look like a PQ example for the grade 64+ what is amazing about this walker is the full strike!! wow it has a most incredible strike for an early s mint as full a strike as i have ever seen on a 17-s walker

and combined all together the coin has way above average eye appeal (thumbs u

i also love :cloud9: the incredible thick frosty matte proof surfaces on the coin

new dies and hubs everything fresh creating this wonderful matte proof "look" just an amazing stand alone coin that makes it very special