• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thankful to NGC once again for a GREAT NEWP!

40 posts in this topic

I only wish you could see it in person

That can be arranged, I am on a knife forum and they have a loaner? program where people add their name to a list for different knives and it gets mailed from one person to another. Just a thought

Sure, George---send me a 1921-S in MS 64 to inspect and then maybe we can work something out. :devil:;)

Walker fan - that is a great looking 17-S OBV !

I picked up a nice AU earlier this Summer

for my date set ( last one needed ). I love yours,

but I'd have to upgrade the rest of the coins

in the half series.

I am working on a 1921 Date set as well... And although

I have the P& D in MS 63, I seriously doubt I'll be able to

afford the S mm in MS 63.... Even a choice AU is beyond

my budget now that I am retired. So, as you mentioned,

Walkerfan - I'd be happy to rent a nice 21-S myself.... lol

I only wish you could see it in person

That can be arranged, I am on a knife forum and they have a loaner? program where people add their name to a list for different knives and it gets mailed from one person to another. Just a thought

Sure, George---send me a 1921-S in MS 64 to inspect and then maybe we can work something out. :devil:;)

Walker fan - that is a great looking 17-S OBV !

I picked up a nice AU earlier this Summer

for my date set ( last one needed ). I love yours,

but I'd have to upgrade the rest of the coins

in the half series.

I am working on a 1921 Date set as well... And although

I have the P& D in MS 63, I seriously doubt I'll be able to

afford the S mm in MS 63.... Even a choice AU is beyond

my budget now that I am retired. So, as you mentioned,

Walkerfan - I'd be happy to rent a nice 21-S myself.... lol

Thanks---I'm glad that you like it!

For you to be able to find and aquire BOTH a nice 1921 P AND a 1921 D in MS 63 is a tremendous achievement! Those are 2 of the 4 TOUGHEST coins in the entire series, IMHO---the other two being the 19-D and 21-S. I remember seeing you post your 21-D before and it was VERY attractive and PQ for the grade (it's also the lowest mintage in the series).

The 21-S is the ONLY coin in the series that I, too, may have to consider a choice slider for my set in lieu of a MS piece. Many of the MS 60-63 pieces that I've seen look ugly to me (poorly struck/surface issues), anyway, and the MS 64s are so exhorbitantly priced, to say the least. You just never know, though, sometimes we just get lucky in this hobby. ;) Good Luck in your search! :)

I can tell it excites you, and that is great, kinda like I get with a new gun.

Yes, that's true. :) I also like guns, too. :thumbsup:

Which kinda puts to rest the idea of him keeping the coin for 20 or 30 years in an "exchange". lol

Nice pick up! I've never had the patience for collecting early Walkers. The vast majority are so bad (along with expensive prices) I never found any I liked.

jom

Thanks, John.

Yes, they certainly DO take ALOT of patience and are VERY challenging to locate----they test my patience all of the time. :)

My feeling is that nothing good ever comes easy or cheaply, so I think that they are very worthwhile.

i love the skin on the coin very much so and it does look like a PQ example for the grade 64+ what is amazing about this walker is the full strike!! wow it has a most incredible strike for an early s mint as full a strike as i have ever seen on a 17-s walker

and combined all together the coin has way above average eye appeal (thumbs u

i also love :cloud9: the incredible thick frosty matte proof surfaces on the coin

new dies and hubs everything fresh creating this wonderful matte proof "look" just an amazing stand alone coin that makes it very special

Michael, thanks for the analysis and for taking the time to really look at the coin. :)

There are very few, of the 170 17 S obv. MS 64 survivors out there (that I have seen, anyway), that I really liked.

The only other MS 64 that I saw that I liked, as much or better, went for MAJOR MOON MONEY. :sumo:

i love the skin on the coin very much so and it does look like a PQ example for the grade 64+ what is amazing about this walker is the full strike!! wow it has a most incredible strike for an early s mint as full a strike as i have ever seen on a 17-s walker

i also love :cloud9: the incredible thick frosty matte proof surfaces on the coin

new dies and hubs everything fresh creating this wonderful matte proof "look" just an amazing stand alone coin that makes it very special

Michael, thanks for the analysis and for taking the time to really look at the coin. :)

There are very few, of the 170 17 S obv. MS 64 survivors out there (that I have seen, anyway), that I really liked.

The only other MS 64 that I saw that I liked, as much or better, went for MAJOR MOON MONEY. :sumo:

you're most welcome---- i love to look at special coins like your 17-s

well if that other 17-s you looked at in an ms64 holder

and you said it went for moon money well someone thought they had an upgrade; shot 65 so i can understand why it went strong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a true ms 65 ngc/pcgs 1917-s walker that would be cac stickered and ALSO meet my approval i would think could be easily sold for hmmmmmmmmmm 13k-15k

you're most welcome---- i love to look at special coins like your 17-s

well if that other 17-s you looked at in an ms64 holder

and you said it went for moon money well someone thought they had an upgrade; shot 65 so i can understand why it went strong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a true ms 65 ngc/pcgs 1917-s walker that would be cac stickered and ALSO meet my approval i would think could be easily sold for hmmmmmmmmmm 13k-15k

Easily---more like 15k-20k for a TRUE MS 65! ;) Many (to me, anyway) DON'T make the cut, though.

Easily---more like 15k-20k for a TRUE MS 65! ;) Many (to me, anyway) DON'T make the cut, though.

That's one thing about the coin market that took me years to figure out. I would see a coin graded MS65 and even if it was an MS65 I didn't think it was very nice. Yet, someone would pay a bundle in auction to get it. I was left scratching my head (shrug) My interpretation of "True" MS65 (whatever grade) is simple whether I like the coin. Is it eye appealing? Color? Just because it's slabbed 65 and CAC slaps a sticker on it doesn't mean I'd buy. For whatever reason it took me a long time to get away from chasing "grades" and more into chasing "coins"...ones I liked that is. It also seems other collectors take time to find this out as well by just reading the various message boards and comments. I'm not alone...

jom

That's one thing about the coin market that took me years to figure out. I would see a coin graded MS65 and even if it was an MS65 I didn't think it was very nice. Yet, someone would pay a bundle in auction to get it. I was left scratching my head (shrug) My interpretation of "True" MS65 (whatever grade) is simple whether I like the coin. Is it eye appealing? Color? Just because it's slabbed 65 and CAC slaps a sticker on it doesn't mean I'd buy. For whatever reason it took me a long time to get away from chasing "grades" and more into chasing "coins"...ones I liked that is. It also seems other collectors take time to find this out as well by just reading the various message boards and comments. I'm not alone...

jom

No---you certainly aren't alone. Coin grading is very subjective and inconsistent, even when done by professionals. It certainly is beneficial to take the time to choose what YOU like and what YOU think is solid for the grade or sometimes even better.