• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scary Coin Robbery

36 posts in this topic

That is a terrible tragedy for anyone to be killed like that. I am very glad that the perpetrators were stupid enough to get caught right away. Not much consolation for the victim but for his family at least.

Well, at my house this would be a dead 21 and 33 year old and some smart arse prosecutor would probably be trying his best to figure out how to make an example of me....

sad, but true...

MM

Well, at my house this would be a dead 21 and 33 year old and some smart arse prosecutor would probably be trying his best to figure out how to make an example of me....

sad, but true...

MM

I can't imagine any prosecutor wasting his time and resources trying to convince 12 people that a law abiding citizen shouldn't defend himself from two armed thugs.

sad, but true...

MM

Being from central Indiana, I don't recall any stories of malicious prosecution on self defense cases, that being said, I would rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

Did everybody here of the guy in Texas who caught a guy molesting his 4 yr old daughter and beat him to death, no charges, media outcry, then state took to grand jury, and again, NO CHARGES. That is justice.

sad, but true...

MM

I can't imagine any prosecutor wasting his time and resources trying to convince 12 people that a law abiding citizen shouldn't defend himself from two armed thugs.

You must be from the South (like me), where you would be absolutely right; however, there are many areas of the country where MM is absolutely right, and they would try to make an example of someone to further their own political agenda.

sad, but true...

MM

Being from central Indiana, I don't recall any stories of malicious prosecution on self defense cases, that being said, I would rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

Did everybody here of the guy in Texas who caught a guy molesting his 4 yr old daughter and beat him to death, no charges, media outcry, then state took to grand jury, and again, NO CHARGES. That is justice.

It reminds me of a story in California from the 1990s, where a child molester harmed a little girl, and the father dressed up as a women to meet the perpetrator in an airport. He then pulled out a 45 revolver and shot him multiple times, killing the molester. California prosecutors tried him 3 times, and even time it resulted in a hung jury. They finally gave up.

Edited to add: I realize that this isn't self defense per se, but it is relevant to your second point.

Moral of the story: don't tell people what you keep at home, and don't invite people to your home for business that should be conducted somewhere safe.

sad, but true...

MM

It reminds me of a story in California from the 1990s, where a child molester harmed a little girl, and the father dressed up as a women to meet the perpetrator in an airport. He then pulled out a 45 revolver and shot him multiple times, killing the molester. California prosecutors tried him 3 times, and even time it resulted in a hung jury. They finally gave up.

Edited to add: I realize that this isn't self defense per se, but it is relevant to your second point.

At least those little girls get to grow up knowing there dad will always be there for them

I may hear more about this over the next week. Marion in in my local area. I'm not a member of their coin club yet, but I know many of the members. I would not be surprised if it is a topic of discussion at the local clubs.

i agree, they would be trying me for double manslaughter and in New York they might be successful! It is disgusting! Its scary when someone doesnt even have the right to protect themselves in their OWN home. If one cant feel safe within the walls of their home, where can they?

At least i would have gotten to see what it felt like to drop someone with my brand new AR15!

AR-15's are GREAT guns, but they're not the best choice for self defense in your home. You could accidently kill a neighbor in the cross fire. Unfortunately, most .223 bullets will go through alot of dry wall. My choice would be a large caliber handgun with frangible bullets, or an unchoked short barrel shotgun loaded with #8 or #9 dove & quail shells.

We had a coin shop robbery in my area that resulted in the perp accidently discharging his gun and hitting my friend in the abdomen. He actually called 911 himself, but bled out before they could get to him. The shooter was so distraught, he turned himself in.

The best gun is the one you will carry on your person. Where exactly is your assault rifle when an acquaintance comes over to talk coins? Once the 81-year-old guy was hit with a hammer, he wasn't going to be able to run to the other room and get his huge gun. Perhaps if he were carrying a small .38 it would have been a different story - IDK.

Regardless, it is very sad and its a shame what people are willing to do for "easy" money.

sad, but true...

MM

True.. very true.. My 12 gauge would improve that womans looks.

Things to always remember.. never have your back to a door and NEVER turn your back to anybody. When I show people my coins (friends), they wait in the living room while I retrieve what Im looking for. Also, always keep defensive arms close by in the event somebody gets froggy. Lastly, dont do any transaction alone.. have a battlebuddy with you.

Call me paranoid.. I used to live in a high crime area.

Mine are always in reach, anybody who knocks on my door I don't know sees one of them before they ever see me, And if its after 10 at night, even family sees "big thunder" (my 5 inch 1911) before they see me. but the 5.56 is close

My investment advisor snears at my coin collection as any type of retirement vehicle. He even once told me that "someone with lead could relieve me of my gold and silver". My response was, yeah, that's possible...although they better be really good with throwing that lead around as I have not only have military sniper medals, but I have witnesses to my taking 2 antelope in Wyoming at 600 yards...which in and of itself may not be super impressive, but since both kills were within 10 seconds of each other and both were head shots to keep from ruining any meat, that usually at least raises an eyebrow.