• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scary Coin Robbery

36 posts in this topic

What a horrible crime against a collector.

I would never do coin business in my home and be hesitant of going to a strangers home for coin business. It was a sad merciless killing and shocking to hear how a 21 yo gal should be so cold blooded. It saddens me greatly to see a collector or dealer robbed like this and then so cold bloodedly executed.

Be on guard wherever you are. A friend recently had his debit card stolen by a woman he had met via a Sugar Dating Website while during an intimate encounter at her apartment. Interesting enough, $300 cash on a money clip and some other credit cards were not stolen. He had met her the evening before at a hotel restaurant to discuss an arrangement after responding to her "wink" on the website. A $260 loss was incurred before he discovered the card missing and he found out about this while checking his bank acct two days later. The good thing is once the card was reported missing this blocked any more fradulent debits to his bank acct. The bad thing is he did not realize it missing for two days. Had he not been someone who uses online banking, the loss would have been much greater. It could have been much worse as he had $6000 in his bank acct which he moved to his business acct after discovering the fradulent charges. After reviewing the paper work the bank gave him to dispute the charges he decided to take it on the chin because he feared a supeona being served his wife might question. The night he discovered the loss his wife came into his study and said "What are you dong so intently there on your computer honey? Better not be buying any more coins from Teletrade."

When discussing your coin hobby with strangers (or for that matter anyone) be extra careful not to give data which would enable them to find your home address. If necessary use an assumed name for your business (XYZ Coins) or a stage

name.

I would also advise tight credit and debit card security:

1. Set up card and bank accounts to email alerts the email you use frequently and your smart phone.

2. Limiting the number of cards in your wallet. His were all lined up like Battleship Row at Pearl Harbor.

3. Account for all cash and cards before and after a meeting, show, etc. Sort of like a special forces team doing a headcount before and after the mission.

4. Keep tight personal security on cash and cards at all times especially when entering and exiting your car. These can be easily dropped in a parking lot without one aware especially if you remove from your person during driving.

5. Keep coin hobby / business need to know, refrain from bragging.....