• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will this one "GRADE"?

20 posts in this topic

This little red indian just screamed at me, and I had to buy it. The seller's photos are.............well, AMAZING! I wish I had his setup so I could take quality photos of all of my coins.

O.K., lets get down to the main question. After looking at these photos, do you think this coin will make it into an NGC graded slab, or do you think this coin is too good to be true? Check out the metal flowlines, the color, the lack of significant marks. All opinions are welcome.

I can't wait to get this little gem into my hands so I can check it out myself. I hope it is what it looks like.

128641.jpg.1ef8fc292e932d06815165e86cdfdffb.jpg

128642.jpg.7402eff05b508b54b9375791f94584ca.jpg

128643.jpg.3e68d23081662184e7761f694886e2ae.jpg

128644.jpg.f2356a4a8107134894c30ecd9b5b2ec8.jpg

It's tough to tell anything given the fact that I can't really interpret what the color of the coin is in-hand. However, give it a shot!

So grip, are you thinking wizzed? I don't see any raised ridges on the lettering like usually happens when a coin is wizzed.

Yes I was.But I sure don't know enough to be sure.Hope it's just the lighting.

AnkurJ, are you seeing something that would limit the grade to a 64? The reason I ask is that I have several modern cents that are graded by NGC as MS67 that have lots of tiny marks, and even some with light spots.

The texture of the field looks off.

I don't know near enough about these things either, but it sure looks like it has a very nice texture to it. Almost as if it were Plated.

It is hard to judge from a picture. Sometimes red color like this is too good to be true. I like to see a little aging on red copper before I am comfortable with it. By aging I mean a little mellowing of the red color.

I think the coin looks good, but I'm more concerned the photos don't represent thre true color of the coin. Its really hard to tell with sellers photos because they can use the ones that look best and not the ones that actually represent the true look or could even adjust the colors in photoshop. Basically my concern is if tghis coin is gonna look like this in hand or like that dipped copper color. If the color matches the pics I would say MS65, if its pinker genuine.

A thought just crossed my mind. Why isn't this coin in a slab already? I'm having a hard time believing that it has been sitting quietly in someones collection, perfectly protected from the elements, in its raw state, for 113 years. And now, somehow, a dealer has acquired it, and immediately listed it for sale without having it graded and multiplying its value. Hmmmmm, something to think about.

If it has been "doctored", they did a GREAT job. But that's kind of a scary thought.

This coin still hasn't been shipped yet because the seller has been out of town. But he's back now, and I assume he's catching up on getting everything shipped. I'll check back in with some of my own photos as soon as possible. Then you can give me your final opinions.

I hope I'm wrong but the coin looks recolored to me. It may just be the lighting but the color looks too even and the luster is very muted, just the way recolored copper looks.

Eddited to add: Does he have others that look like this? If so that could be very telling.

There is something about the surface of that cent that really bothers me. It may well be just the photos, but that I cannot tell. If photos were all I had to go by I would pass, however if it is the photos and not the coin, it might go as high as 65. I would be interested to know. The texture of the coin what really bothers me. I really think it has been recolored

wheat