• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1936 Walker Newp...

33 posts in this topic

1936Walker019.jpg1936Walker017.jpg

Just receved this one. Thoughts? I collected walkers when I was very young, many years ago. I ran accross this one the other day and pulled the trigger. Nice looking piece, I think. Nice full left hand and all.Slight disturbance above the sun but that's about it.

I'm a little rusty help me out with the grade. Thanks for your time....Joe

Fantastic strike on that beauty! I'm somewhat concerned about the light parallel lines on the eagle (shoulder to leg), but otherwise fantastic coin. If the luster is strong, that is at least a 65+

Fantastic strike on that beauty! I'm somewhat concerned about the light parallel lines on the eagle (shoulder to leg), but otherwise fantastic coin. If the luster is strong, that is at least a 65+

The luster is very strong on this one. I didn't even notice those lines until you mentioned it. Not sure how they got there . I didn't pay much for this one, it's raw and the price was pretty good so I took the dive. The strike is what sold me. Thanks for the help....Joe

Assuming you got it from a GSC auction on ebay?

I don't nor have I EVER bought a coin from GSC....EVER. That outfit sells problem coins and I don't do problem coins.....Joe...

Yes I do have it in hand and these are my images....

If the lines on the eagle's breast are mint-made and there are no hidden problems or flaws, my grade guess is MS66.

Just read your other thread. Sorry but your pictures are like you have the same setup they do. Nice coin btw. I have heard of some people making some bucks off of some GSC coins but many times they are cleaned and bring full retail.

Yes you heard right. I don't go around bashing sellers, ever. But this time I had to say something to alert you all. DON'T buy from them. Just my opinion of course but I have heard just horrible storys about them and their cleaned coins !!! Take care now....Joe

If the lines on the eagle's breast are mint-made and there are no hidden problems or flaws, my grade guess is MS66.

The only way you'll ever see these lines is if you image it and blow the image up to the size of a dinner plate. I can't even see these lines with a loupe. Thanks for the help Mark, it is appreciated....Joe

My concern, of course, is that those lines are a staple scratch, which would unfortunately bodybag it. I'll take your word Joe about the severity of them in hand.

Is this graded, and if so, what?

My concern, of course, is that those lines are a staple scratch, which would unfortunately bodybag it. I'll take your word Joe about the severity of them in hand.

Is this graded, and if so, what?

Nope, it's raw and I'm also quite concerd about them too. Very well could be a staple scratch, very light but there for sure. Maybe I should just send it back. A real bummer, I love the strike.... Hmmmmmm

Are those your pictures? do you have the coin in hand? Maybe you could show us more pictures at different angles and different lighting, and we could help you more.

Are those your pictures? do you have the coin in hand? Maybe you could show us more pictures at different angles and different lighting, and we could help you more.

I'll take some close ups. I'll be right back....

Closeups002.jpgCloseups011.jpg

I don't know what to make of it. It does however look like a scratch. But then it also kinda looks raised...? I'm bummed....

I don't know what to make of it. It does however look like a scratch. But then it also kinda looks raised...? I'm bummed....

Looks like a staple drag mark... Could be a lot worse if it was a deep gouge.

When in doubt, especially with respect to an easily replaceable coin, pass.

Yep, I'm not very happy about the scratches. I'll be sending it back. It's really to bad as the strike and just the coin itself is very pretty, but not the scratches. Thanks a ton for the help, it's appreciated....joe

When in doubt, especially with respect to an easily replaceable coin, pass.

I agree. While the rest of the coin is superb, that definitely appears to be a staple scratch. Return it if possible, take the education if its not possible.

Your photography setup is accentuating the shadow contrast, which creates the strike illusions and also highlights certain problems while hiding other. I think that is why the reference to GSC was made because they use that same technique to make every coin look hammered.

Your photography setup is accentuating the shadow contrast, which creates the strike illusions and also highlights certain problems while hiding other. I think that is why the reference to GSC was made because they use that same technique to make every coin look hammered.

Yes you nailed it. I most of the time use three lights. This time I only used only one light at 12:00 as three lights made the coin look a funny color. Yes shadow casting will make a coin look hammered, but this one really is.....Joe

While the photography technique can accentuate a great strike, it cannot create detail that isn't there. A student of the Walker series would note the incredible hand detail, including the knuckle. I also look for the folds in the dress above her hand, and the fully split branch coming out of her hand. These are marks of a truly fantastic strike - and are all present on this coin

I guess that I'm late to the party.

At this point, all that I can say is that the surf. pres. & strike are outstanding.

Also that I WOULD be bothered by those lines, too (very likely after-mint damage). Without them it is an easy MS 66. I would send it back, reluctantly.

While the photography technique can accentuate a great strike, it cannot create detail that isn't there. A student of the Walker series would note the incredible hand detail, including the knuckle. I also look for the folds in the dress above her hand, and the fully split branch coming out of her hand. These are marks of a truly fantastic strike - and are all present on this coin

I did not mean to imply the strike wasnt there on this one. I collect the series and am aware of the strike picl up points. But the accentuation is also there which instantly reminds of the GSC style which as weve all agreed can and will fool the complete unread noobie.

I don't nor have I EVER bought a coin from GSC....EVER. That outfit sells problem coins and I don't do problem coins.....Joe...

Joe,

Seriously, you need to go back to your photography set up that you use for your Buffalo's. I don't know if my body can handle the laughter induced by another person accusing your photos of being GSC's.

BTW, the size of you photos is greatly exaggerating the flaws on the coin. Can you see the scratch with the naked eye? How about a 5X loupe? How about posting the photo in 500x500 pixels, that might give us a better idea of what it looks like in hand.

Paul

Joe,

Seriously, you need to go back to your photography set up that you use for your Buffalo's. I don't know if my body can handle the laughter induced by another person accusing your photos of being GSC's.

BTW, the size of you photos is greatly exaggerating the flaws on the coin. Can you see the scratch with the naked eye? How about a 5X loupe? How about posting the photo in 500x500 pixels, that might give us a better idea of what it looks like in hand.

Paul

Hi Paul,

If I didn't think this coin was a nice strike I would have never bought it, as this is why I purchased it. Not trying to make it look better than it is. I understand how some folks might be fooled by an image such as this one I'm showing.

I'll take some more images and post them with my normal set-up. The scratches are NOT easily seen until you bust out a 9X and then they disappear in different angles. To be honest, I'm going to have a hard time sending this one back, it is an amazing strike and they don't come around very often these days. I'll be back with some more images.....Joe

walker001.jpgwalker004.jpg

You can not see the the marks with the naked eye at all, at least not with my eyes. Like I said ya need to bust out a 9X to see them and they still disappear in different angles. They are NOT deep. Thanks for all the help....Joe

Hey Joe, almost broke out in a Hendrix song :) if you decide to send it back I am willing to buy it from you as i think it is fabulous. It might give me the impetus to then upgrade my entire Dansco Walker set. :) Just a thought

Hey Joe, almost broke out in a Hendrix song :) if you decide to send it back I am willing to buy it from you as i think it is fabulous. It might give me the impetus to then upgrade my entire Dansco Walker set. :) Just a thought

This is tough.... :tonofbricks: