• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 50 Most Popular Modern Coins- Let's Talk Moderns!

160 posts in this topic

John Maben and I are interested talking with collectors about our favorite hobby and we would like to start off with a little background to introduce our new book...

It is often said that the past is a prelude to the future, and there are very few places where that is truer than with US coinage. What makes some of the coins we collect become great as they age while others seem to get passed over forever? Obviously beauty, rarity and popularity are major considerations for collectors but those concepts are too broad to be helpful when it comes time to choose a series to work on or buy a coin that is foundational to our collection.

When I was young, living in the mountains of Virginia near Charlottesville, I took up collecting Morgan Dollars and Mercury Dimes because they were so beautiful and they were struck on real silver. I could not help but think if I liked anything other than clad coinage I must have been born in the wrong generation. Older, high grade key dates had me completely priced out of the market because of their maturity. Looking through my Red Book gave me the impression that the golden era to have been a collector was 1906 to 1936. So many wonderful coins were affordable in their infancy but I missed out on them because I wasn’t alive. Examples of such coins include High Relief Saints, Matte Proof Gold Indians, 1916-D Mercury Dimes, 1915 Pan Pac $50 Gold, 1909-O $10 and 1911-D $5 mints state Indians, and 1936 Proof Walking Liberty Half dollars. While the super coins of that era are frequently beyond our financial reach, their history and how they and their series developed are not much different from many series of today.

If you had lived in that magic era (1906-1936) you would likely have missed almost every coin mentioned above. A vast majority of that generation’s collectors passed on these coins because they failed to recognize these four primary concepts:

1. Today’s troubled infants are tomorrow’s kings.

2. In series absolute rarity is not paramount, relative rarity is.

3. Pay attention to set structure trends.

4. Series go through infancy, growth, and maturity so show up early.

Today’s collectors must master the same concepts if they wish to end up with a collection that grows to significant value. Let’s look at these concepts in a little more detail.

Today’s troubled infants are tomorrow’s kings:

Coin issues do not have to be rare to become keys. All they need is to initially be lower in supply than demand – which in itself is an indicator of a problem during (or shortly after) their manufacture. 1907 High Relief Saints were much too hard to strike and did not stack properly, and 1916 Standing Liberty Quarter production started too late in the year. Pan Pac $50 Gold Slugs were too expensive for all but the wealthiest of collectors, and Mint State Indian Gold coins were rejected by and large because of their unusual incuse designs. Matte-Proof Indians and Saints of the period sold very poorly because the fields did not have the impressive cameo look of late 1800s proof gold coins, and 1936 Proof Walkers were overlooked because mint state commemorative halves were flying out of the mint into the hands of the public in every form imaginable.

In short, its normally some form of initial public rejection or production limitation that make a coin either a staggeringly low population type coin or a deep hole in a big series mintage chart which is hard to get past as the collector base grows. The moral of this point is to look for the rejected or problem coin that otherwise has good fundamentals.

In series absolute rarity is not paramount, relative rarity is:

The US mint has a long-standing tendency of producing big workhorse series that go on for years with rapidly expanding total populations that end up in the hands of the public. We don’t start collecting something until we have an example. This type of exposure serves as a relentless silent advertisement campaign for the series, and over time its effect becomes readily apparent. 1909-S VBD Lincoln Cents are not “rare” compared to some semi-key half cents from 19th century, but as the famous undisputed key of billions of Lincoln cents it’s the coin that legions of collectors can’t afford in high grade. Similarly, millions of high grade Morgans and $20 Saint-Gaudens Double Eagles in the hands of the public produce the same effect with their respective (yet not rare) semi-key dates.

Today the mint has massive active workhorse series such as silver, gold and platinum eagles with mintage depressions profound enough to produce similar maturity behavior. Troubled infancy issues still show up from time to time and create tomorrow’s great coins. The trick is to recognize them and take advantage of them early.

Pay attention to set structure trends.

In the 1800s the public collected series by date only, ignoring mint marks. Many collectors who started during that era failed to notice that newer collectors were assembling sets by date and mint mark, and missed such key issues as the 1909-S VDB Lincoln cent and 1916-D Mercury dime.

It is very important to figure out early whether a new series is going to be collected by issue date and mintmark, by changing reverse designs, or just by type. Set structure dictates series development and we can get some excellent clues by looking at the enabling legislation for the active series. For instance, some branch mint (with mint mark) silver commemorative half dollars from the first half of the 20th century are very low mintage coins, but carry almost zero premium after 50-75 years because their series is collected by type only. Collectors need to be conscious of set structure when purchasing coins.

Series go through infancy, growth, then maturity - so show up early:

In the early years (normally the first 10-15 years) of series development the fundamentals are already in place. The coin issues to watch have attractive designs, big populations with tight key dates or fantastic type rarity and they are still very affordable for their general class of coin. Collector ranks steadily grow, but still there are more key coins floating around than there are high dollar buyers chasing them, so for the time, early key dates remain relatively affordable. This is the stage that allows those with more foresight than money the ability to lay the foundation for set completion by stretching a little. As collector base continues to grow and very finite population series key dates start to find long term homes the prices go into a growth phase that has a tendency to price collectors of moderate means out of the market. Inevitably these previously affordable issues reach prices that are so high it discourages new collectors from stepping on-board because the coins are expensive and are already mature.

A Place to Start:

Moderns have a story to tell just as the great issues of the past. John Maben and I have offered a “box or basket of 50” concept in a new book entitled, “Top 50 Most Popular Modern Coins.” This book contains information about coins from interesting short sets, very scarce or popular modern type coins, and note worthy key dates to rapidly expanding series. These and half a dozen other coins that received honorable mention in the text but not specifically listed therein are a wonderful place to start. They may prove to be fantastic heirloom quality assets that can be handed down through succeeding generations.

We hope to run a series of articles over the next few months and will post the links here. This will be an opportunity for the collecting community to give us feedback be it good, bad, or ugly. :-)

Updated 5/22/12

I have several questions/comments:

1) What were the criteria used to classify these as the "Top 50 Most Popular"? Most popular according to whom and to what metrics?

2) The list only includes one actual circulation coin (the Washington Presidential Dollar Missing Edge Error). While it is "popular" it is certainly not even remotely uncommon. Indeed, NGC has graded more than 40,000 of these errors and PCGS has graded more than 20,000 of these coins. It is certainly popularly marketed, but I dare you to try to unload one if you have one to sale. The popularity has all but died.

3) The other 49 "coins" on the list are comprised of 6 Silver Eagles, 2 Silver Buffalos, 26 gold issues, 13 platinum issues, and 2 bimetallic issues (gold and platinum). The book is titled "Top 50 Most Popular Modern Coins" and is subtitled "Comprehensive Guide to the Most Sought After U.S. Issues (1986-Date)". Yet, all of the "coins" are dated 1995-2011, with only 5 pre-2000. My point is that it seems neither comprehensive nor does it cover the dates listed.

4) I see that NGC is now offering a special label for these 50 pieces. I get the impression this is yet another marketing game? It's really disappointing to see the hobby being taken over by marketing and hype. This book doesn't help; sorry, just my opinion.

I look forward to hearing your replies and trying to understand what purpose this book is supposed to serve.

Regards,

-Brandon

-------------------------------------------------------

The list of 50 "coins" from the book for those of you who are curious:

There is no implied ranking to these 50 coins, they are only numbered for convenience of referencing them.

1. 2007 Mint State $1 George Washington Presidential Dollar Mint Error Missing Edge Lettering

2. 2001 -D Mint Slate $1 Silver Buffalo Commemorative

3. 2001-P Proof $1 Silver Buffalo Commemorative

4. 1997-W Mint State $5 Gold Jackie Robinson Commemorative

5. 1997-W Proof $5 Gold Jackie Robinson Commemorative

6. 2000-W Mint State $10 Bimetallic Library of Congress Commemorative

7. 2000-W Proof $10 Bimetallic Library of Congress Commemorative

8. 2007-W Mint State $10 First Spouse Gold Thomas Jefferson‘s Liberty

9. 2007-W Proof $10 First Spouse Gold Thomas Jefferson‘s Liberty

10. 2008-W Mint State $10 First Spouse Gold Andrew Jackson’s Liberty

11. 2008-W Proof $10 First Spouse Gold Andrew Jackson’s Liberty

12. 2008-W Mint State $10 First Spouse Gold Martin Van Buren’s Liberty

13. 2008-W Proof $10 First Spouse Gold Martin Van Buren’s Liberty

14. 2010-W Mint State $10 First Spouse Gold James Buchanan’s Liberty

15. 2010-W Proof $10 First Spouse Gold James Buchanan’s Liberty

16. 1995-W Proof 10th Anniversary $1 Silver Eagle

17. 2006-P Reverse Proof 20th Anniversary $1 Silver Eagle

18. 2006-W Mint State Burnished $1 Silver Eagle

19. 2008-W Mint State Burnished $1Silver Eagle Reverse of 2007

20. 2011-P Reverse Proof 25th Anniversary $1 Silver Eagle

21. 2011-S Mint State 25th Anniversary $1 Silver Eagle

22. 1999-W Mint State Unfinished Proof Dies $5 Gold Eagle

23. 1999-W Mint State Unfinished Proof Dies $10 Gold Eagle

24. 2006-W Reverse Proof 20th Anniversary $50 Gold Eagle

25. 2008-W Mint State Burnished $5 Gold Eagle

26. 2008-W Mint State Burnished $10 Gold Eagle

27. 2008-W Mint State Burnished $25 Gold Eagle

28. 2008-W Mint State Burnished $50 Gold Eagle

29. 2004-W Proof $10 Platinum Eagle

30. 2004-W Proof $25 Platinum Eagle

31. 2004-W Proof $50 Platinum Eagle

32. 2004-W Proof $100 Platinum Eagle

33. 2006-W Mint State Burnished $10 Platinum Eagle

34. 2006-W Mint State Burnished $25 Platinum Eagle

35. 2006-W Mint State Burnished $50 Platinum Eagle

36. 2006-W Mint State Burnished $100 Platinum Eagle

37. 2007-W Reverse Proof 10th Anniversary $50 Platinum Eagle

38. 2008-W Mint State Burnished $10 Platinum Eagle

39. 2008-W Mint State Burnished $25 Platinum Eagle

40. 2008-W Mint State Burnished $50 Platinum Eagle

41. 2008-W Mint State Burnished $100 Platinum Eagle

42. 2008-W Mint State $5 Gold Buffalo

43. 2008-W Mint State $10 Gold Buffalo

44. 2008-W Mint State $25 Gold Buffalo

45. 2008-W Mint State $50 Gold Buffalo

46. 2008-W Proof $5 Gold Buffalo

47. 2008-W Proof $10 Gold Buffalo

48. 2008-W Proof $25 Gold Buffalo

49. 2008-W Proof $50 Gold Buffalo

50. 2009 Mint State $50 Gold Ultra High Relief

brg5658 if you have a problem with Eric and his book, you should have kept it in PMs. No need to blast anyone for their opinions in public like you just did. I dont come here to read these kinds of threads

Thanks mumu, but it's OK. Eric and I are big boys we will answer all questions and concerns that we can unless someone is just plain silly. Like Eric, I too am at work but we'll be back to visit later.

Thanks,

John

brg5658 if you have a problem with Eric and his book, you should have kept it in PMs. No need to blast anyone for their opinions in public like you just did. I dont come here to read these kinds of threads

:troll:

Mumu, I have reported you (again) for trolling.

:troll:

Mumu, I have reported you (again) for trolling.

So you come into my thread and blast me because you cant mind your business and I get reported. Yeah, youre not the troll I guess.

I dont see how you blasting someone's book and opinons is any different than me blasting someones buyer ethics but whatever.

By the way. Stop responding to my posts. I DONT KNOW YOU...lol what a joke...

On topic. I think it is IMPOSSIBLE to overlook the popularity of the gold peices such as the UHR and the Buffalo of recent release. However it doesnt seem to me that this list takes into account the frenzy over precious metals of the past few years. Many on the list are really bullion, not coins and I think that distorts the true spirit of the hobby.

pardon my ignorance but what is this "trolling" that you are talking about? thanks in advance

Wikipedia defines it as: "In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion."

It refers to people who go from message to message (sometimes even following others around) to leave irrelevant and off-topic messages or harass other chat forum members trying to get a rise out of them.

I'd like to know the metrics of popularity myself.

Looking over the list I don't even see the State Quarters and that has to have been the most collected series in 50 years! I am just having a hard time getting excited over most of these coins ... guess moderns are just not my thing :P

I like all coins and that includes all moderns as long as they are at least three years old. I prefer circulating coins because they are circulating and it's pretty cheap to study them. Just go to the bank and pick them up and there's no net cost unless you keep them.

Everybody's 50 top moderns is just going to be different. It's only natural. In the non-circulating material my top picks are the platinum and tougher silver. I think all the silver proof sets are going to prove to be a huge missed opportunity but this especially applies to the cheaper ones. A lot of the mint sets will be big winners but the best bet is choice and gemmy coins from them.

Just like with the old coins there's something for everyone in the moderns now days. These coins will all have their day. So long as there's the thrill of the hunt people will look for them.

Hmmmm....after #24 it seems to be mostly a list of bullion sets. Maybe the "100 best" or "50 best" or whatever has reached the end of its lifetime?

Maybe if it were about the best modern US coin designs, there would be something to connect to....

I'd like to know the metrics of popularity myself .... Looking at the list I don't even see the State Quarters and that has to have been on of the most collected series in 50 years! I have a hard time getting excited over this list :P

I have to agree. Nothing "popular" on this list IMO unless you like to give all your money to the US Mint. :o

Of course, if one's business relies heavily on dealing in these 50 coins, it would be to one's advantage to author and publish a book like this. :o:o

On a positive note, if the book promotes the hobby and generates new collectors, then that is certainly a good thing. :)

I'm looking forward to hearing the authors' views.

I'm actually surprised that the title isn't "Most Popular Bullion Coins". Everyone knows that the SAE's are highly collected and those that can afford Gold, then the Buffalo's are in that collecting scenario also. I'm not sure that there is anything surprising in this book that most coin collectors didn't already know. I would distinguish this more as a hype to get new collectors into modern coins than the history of older coins. JMO

I'm actually surprised that the title isn't "Most Popular Bullion Coins". Everyone knows that the SAE's are highly collected and those that can afford Gold, then the Buffalo's are in that collecting scenario also. I'm not sure that there is anything surprising in this book that most coin collectors didn't already know. I would distinguish this more as a hype to get new collectors into modern coins than the history of older coins. JMO

I agree. I'm not "bashing" the book, per se. I just don't understand the point of it. Yet another "Top XX" book seems to only give NGC yet another label category with which to slab coins. This book has no bearing whatever on "modern coins"...but could be interpreted as a list of "which bullion coins have the highest premiums over melt". (shrug)

I have been following your thread ATS for the longest time and thoroughly enjoying it. :applause: Great read with lots of pertinent information for moderns collectors. In looking at this list I would hazard the guess that it might be the 50 lowest mintage coins. Excluding the First spouse coins I believe the majority of these are lower mintage. Just my 2 cents :) Looking forward to a more detailed account of the list. :cool:

This is #1 on my list.

19. 2008-W Mint State Burnished $1Silver Eagle Reverse of 2007

edited it add - Thanks John Nanny

I think we have officially jumped the shark. On first glance, it is all NCLT, with not a single real circulating "coin" on the list. It looks more like a list of 50 Greatest Prior US Mint Flipping Opportunities of the 21st Century.

Here are some more specific comments:

1. State quarters should definitely be on the list and high on the list, too. They reinvigorated the coin hobby and added countless young people to the mix.

2. I would have chosen a single coin to represent all 2008-W buffalo gold coins, a single coin to represent all 2008-W burnished gold, etc. The way it is listed now makes it look like there are not even 50 great Modern coins to choose.

3. Obviously the authors can define modern any way they would like. This has been polled extensively ATS and here, and one of the most common definitions of "modern US coin" includes anything minted after 1965. There are lots of great coins between 1965 and 2000 to choose from, and not including these coins makes it look like the authors have more of a promotional agenda than an educational agenda.

4. How can the UHR not be much a higher on the list, above all of the copycats and multiple denominations of the same issue year?

5. I own numerous coins on the list (some even purchased from MCM) but have no intention of getting them slabbed with a special label. This service being offered gives further credence to the idea that the book is more of a promotional pamphlet than a serious numismatic treatise.

6. I do not intend to purchase the book at this time. I purchased the previous book by Mr. Jordan and did not find it to be as scholarly as I had hoped. He has made excellent contributions to the mega-thread ATS, and I appreciate his effort in doing so.

4. How can the UHR not be much a higher on the list, above all of the copycats and multiple denominations of the same issue year?

The UHR may very well be #1 on the list. I created the list in the order of the chapters in the book. I don't own a copy of the book (and won't be buying one anytime), so I couldn't determine if they were listed #50 to #1 or #1 to #50....or alternatively, if not "ranking" was intended at all -- it could just be a list of 50, with no implied better/worse.

PS -- Can someone post a link to the thread ATS? I don't read or contribute to that forum -- out of personal choice, not because of other reasons.

The UHR may very well be #1 on the list. I created the list in the order of the chapters in the book. I don't own a copy of the book (and won't be buying one anytime), so I couldn't determine if they were listed #50 to #1 or #1 to #50....or alternatively, if not "ranking" was intended at all -- it could just be a list of 50, with no implied better/worse.

PS -- Can someone post a link to the thread ATS? I don't read or contribute to that forum -- out of personal choice, not because of other reasons.

My bad. I just assumed that your list was the actual order. In fact, it could be the reverse or order or no order whatsoever.

Here is an example of another coin that should be on the list:

2006 Gold Buffalo

At the time of issue, it was hugely popular, and it started the continually popular Gold Buffalo series. Perhaps it is now regarded as a half tick better than bullion, but it was an important and groundbreaking coin in a series that peaked in 2008. Because of its availability on the market and high mintage, it may difficult to promote today.

It seems logical that to me "Popular" would mean just that... e.g. what most people would collect.

This list looks WAY different than what I've seen collectors put together over the last 10 years. Numero uno, by a HUGE margin, would have to be the State quarters. After that probably the next most popular would be SAE's.

To each their own.

1) What were the criteria used to classify these as the "Top 50 Most Popular"? Most popular according to whom and to what metrics?

Answer: No science was applied. However, we looked back at the sales of two big dealers for many years that are probably of the biggest sellers of certified modern coins to see what people bought. Aside from that, a team of numismatist specializing in moderns all agreed in the final 50 including myself and John.

2) The list only includes one actual circulation coin (the Washington Presidential Dollar Missing Edge Error). While it is "popular" it is certainly not even remotely uncommon. Indeed, NGC has graded more than 40,000 of these errors and PCGS has graded more than 20,000 of these coins. It is certainly popularly marketed, but I dare you to try to unload one if you have one to sale. The popularity has all but died.

Answer:

The Top Fifty are not to be misconstrued as the most rare (although many are rare). Tens of thousands of these have been sold and they re without a doubt popular. As for diminished popularity it is true that many of the items on the list are not hot at the moment but coins fall in and out of favor. Right now, almost every area of the numismatics is a little soft but like everything else this moves in cycles.

3) The other 49 "coins" on the list are comprised of 6 Silver Eagles, 2 Silver Buffalos, 26 gold issues, 13 platinum issues, and 2 bimetallic issues (gold and platinum). The book is titled "Top 50 Most Popular Modern Coins" and is subtitled "Comprehensive Guide to the Most Sought after U.S. Issues (1986-Date)". Yet, all of the "coins" are dated 1995-2011, with only 5 pre-2000. My point is that it seems neither comprehensive nor does it cover the dates listed.

Answer: The book was proof read about 20 times by at least 5 different people. That said, the one error we found besides what I think was a duplicate comma was the 1986 to present date. Our intention was to actually make this 1982 to date. 1982 marks the start of Modern Commems but I guess we were all thinking Eagles at the time. As for no coins prior to 1995 that was simply because we limited the coins to 50 and did not agree on any prior to 1995. If this was a top 100 book, no doubt there would be some..

4) I see that NGC is now offering a special label for these 50 pieces. I get the impression this is yet another marketing game? It's really disappointing to see the hobby being taken over by marketing and hype. This book doesn't help; sorry, just my opinion.

Answer: Another marketing game? Well those that have taken the time to read my first book know I am heavy into research and series modeling and have very little tolerance for marketing hype. If my research indicates that a coin is unlikely to age well I will can it. If you were to put together a "box of 50" to give to your grand children you could do little better. Solomon once said that only a fool answers a question before he has heard it. Without reading the text it had to know if its marketing hype or not.

We think many perhaps even you will change your mind once you have the book in hand. It should prove a very useful tool for all in the community that have even a remote interest in moderns.

On topic. I think it is IMPOSSIBLE to overlook the popularity of the gold peices such as the UHR and the Buffalo of recent release. However it doesnt seem to me that this list takes into account the frenzy over precious metals of the past few years. Many on the list are really bullion, not coins and I think that distorts the true spirit of the hobby.

Answer: We only had 50 slots to work with. In my mind you could have just as well called the text the "Superior Moderns Box of Fifty That Mortals Can Afford".

You guys have correctly pointed out that clad coinage in not present in the listing.

I like cents struck on copper

Quarters struck on silver

Dollars struck on silver

Eagles struck on gold

You know mostly coinage metals that have been money for thousands of years. The "mona lisa" was not painted on trash bags.

I like large good looking series with tight keys. My "Box of the Superior Fifty" would have heavy representation of key date material in massive series. My first book spends a ton of time detailing series development and how to model it but it was too technical for the average collector. I favor heirloom quality infant wealth.

What are the main classes of affordable modern issues coming out of the Mint in this generation that have the same basics as the 1906 to 1936 classics? You know --real metals, big populations, tight key dates, good looks and series cohesion?

Its easy Silver, Gold and Platinum Eagles plus Buffalos. You will see some of the best of them in the listings. You will also see good looking proof and mint state designs struck on gold like the liberty subsets. The proof changing reverse silver quarters are well liked and some will be box of 50 great one day but the mintages are slowing falling because of the higher price of silver. This is an opportunity but I dont know which one will be king so I said noting about them.

This book seems like a marketing tool - a brochure for y'all's business. I'm sorry if I'm coming off brusque, but I don't see the reasoning, need, justification, or purpose of this book.

That and modern coins bore me nearly to death. I'm sure there's a market for them, I'm just not in it.

This book seems like a marketing tool - a brochure for y'all's business. I'm sorry if I'm coming off brusque, but I don't see the reasoning, need, justification, or purpose of this book.

That and modern coins bore me nearly to death. I'm sure there's a market for them, I'm just not in it.

If attempting to get new people involved and educating existing people is a marketing tool, then you are correct. It's wrong to label it as strictly a marketing tool particularly when the only copy is in my hands at this moment.

I don't know how to put links in threads here but a bit more info can be found here:

http://www.coinweek.com/news/coin-grading/ngc-offers-new-label-for-top-50-most-popular-modern-coins/

The book was previewed by several highly regarded numismatists all of whom gave it a screaming thumbs up, just sayin. The goal is not for everyone to like the book because that's unrealistic, especially less likely from those who find themselves bored by moderns as you stated.

John

Well you don’t see a need for modern coin commentary because you don’t like them. When I made the change from classics to moderns in the late 1990s there was almost no modern commentary in the coin books. Those of us that have an open mind and want to put together collections before they get so awful expensive need this kind of information. Fact of the matter is people unwilling to look at any serious modern coins are the same kind of people that lived in 1920 and missed picking up "Pan Pac Slugs", matte Proof Gold and many others.

Reading books like this is much like going to engineering school. It will not show you exactly what to do in every case but it helps build a framework on how to think in a critical manner. This book and its forerunner are designed to help collectors see things they might otherwise miss.

"On topic. I think it is IMPOSSIBLE to overlook the popularity of the gold peices such as the UHR and the Buffalo of recent release. However it doesnt seem to me that this list takes into account the frenzy over precious metals of the past few years. Many on the list are really bullion, not coins and I think that distorts the true spirit of the hobby."

---------

"Hmmmm....after #24 it seems to be mostly a list of bullion sets. Maybe the "100 best" or "50 best" or whatever has reached the end of its lifetime?

Maybe if it were about the best modern US coin designs, there would be something to connect to...."

-----------

Adding to what Eric said on this:

What criteria are you using to define bullion? By my definition, there is not a single coin on the Top 50 list that is a pure bullion play."Pure" bullion is distributed to the AP's in massive quantity and sold at small percentages over spot. Many of these Top 50 coins have extremely low mintages vs their bullion counterparts and were originally sold as collectible items (not as bullion) by the U.S. Mint. Many forward thinkers collect modern coins selectively in hopes of identifying coins that have potential to be tomorrow's valued classics. Down the road, these "moderns" will no longer be modern. REMEMBER, ALL COINS WERE MODERN AT SOME POINT.

As for designs, we think most of the Top 50 are outstanding designs, and that too was a factor for inclusion.

John

I don't know if this book is one of a series of releases, so please excuse me if I am asking a really obvious question. However, is there any plan to devote time or text to traditional clad coinage? That term, "traditional clad", is something that I never thought I would see; but there it is. The book that you have (1982-present) fits the most modern commemorative timeline and incorporates all the bullion issues quite well. Those pesky 1965-1981, or 1965-1998 if we want to extend clad to the Statehood Quarter series, can be tough issues if one wants superb specimens. Currently, there appears to be little in print for this niche so it would be nice to see more.

3) The other 49 "coins" on the list are comprised of 6 Silver Eagles, 2 Silver Buffalos, 26 gold issues, 13 platinum issues, and 2 bimetallic issues (gold and platinum). The book is titled "Top 50 Most Popular Modern Coins" and is subtitled "Comprehensive Guide to the Most Sought after U.S. Issues (1986-Date)". Yet, all of the "coins" are dated 1995-2011, with only 5 pre-2000. My point is that it seems neither comprehensive nor does it cover the dates listed.

Answer: The book was proof read about 20 times by at least 5 different people. That said, the one error we found besides what I think was a duplicate comma was the 1986 to present date. Our intention was to actually make this 1982 to date. 1982 marks the start of Modern Commems but I guess we were all thinking Eagles at the time. As for no coins prior to 1995 that was simply because we limited the coins to 50 and did not agree on any prior to 1995. If this was a top 100 book, no doubt there would be some...

Eric and John,

The list of 50 is functionally a list of 24 as you have included many "blocks" of bullion issues in all denominations for the same year. If your wanted to create a list of 50 and allow for a bit more research and variety, why didn't you simply list them as one entry. For example, #25-#28 could have been included as one entry as "2008-W Mint State Burnished Gold Eagles", instead of 4 separate issues separate for the $5, $10, $25, and $50. The same could be said for the separate listing of the Gold First Spouse issues separate into two entries for the Proof and MS coins. With all due respect, it comes across as simply a lazy listing with little if any thought to numismatics as a science and field of research.

I have purchased many modern coins from MCM, and I find their customer service to be among the best of any dealers out there. But, I have a hard time separating this new book from the also relatively new offerings on the MCM site and marketing frenzy. I felt that when MCM introduced the "As Seen on MCTV" focus, they really cheapened their image. I have purchased well over $2000 in actual coins (not bullion gold, silver, or platinum issues) in the past year. Since the focus shifted in the MCM marketing to peddling wares to compete with HSN and QVC I have not spent a dime with MCM. Maybe I'm alone in this, but I loved that your business was focused on high grade modern coin issues...which are now basically non-existent in your inventory. (shrug)

The U.S. Mint advertises the Silver Eagles, Gold Eagles, and Platinum Eagles as "Bullion Coins for Investors". The proof versions of some are specifically targeted at collectors. Nonetheless, I will repeat again, the list is mostly a compendium of gold, silver, and platinum issues among their respective issues that demand the highest premium over melt. The UHR is a particular exception, as it was minted almost solely for collectors.

In summary, this book screams "marketing" to me. To assume that we are so daft as to think otherwise is somewhat insulting. Especially given that a competing and very-well written book "100 Greatest Modern U.S. Coins" was released only a little over a year ago. The 100 Greatest also includes some bullion issues, but is more inclusive of circulation coinage as well.

As someone else mentioned, it would be great if someone would publish a book listing the "Most Elusive Modern Coins, 1965-Date". It would be a compendium of almost impossible to find coins that are not on the radar of most collectors. For example, the 1980-D or 1980-P Roosevelt dime with FT designation. They just don't exist...I dare you to try to find one in MS65 even.

I appreciate the point by point replies to all of our questions. This discussion is very helpful.

Regards,

-Brandon

--------------------------

PS -- Just as a disclaimer, I AM a modern coin collector. Actually, I have the #1 NGC Registry set for 21st Century Type Coins -- by quite a margin. I'm not saying that to toot my own horn, but just to say that I have been seriously collecting moderns for white a while. A large portion of the coins in my type set came from MCM.

Answer: No science was applied. However, we looked back at the sales of two big dealers for many years that are probably of the biggest sellers of certified modern coins to see what people bought. Aside from that, a team of numismatist specializing in moderns all agreed in the final 50 including myself and John.

Thanks for the answer on the metrics. I am sure you and your associates put a lot of time in your selection, but perhaps the chosen title " Top 50 Most Polular Modern Coins" is which people find misleading. Perhaps it should have been "50 Most Sought After Modern Coins of (insert dates here)".

Best wishes,

Wendy