• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 50 Most Popular Modern Coins- Let's Talk Moderns!

160 posts in this topic

Second of all, whether it is fair or not, there is a stigma among most collectors with modern coins.

Yes!

And in the long term this has always proven to be the number one determinant of high demand. It doesn't matter why a thing is stigmatized. If it's a big silver coin that sat in vaults for decades because there was never a reason to make them in the first place or because they are just debased garbage the long term doesn't care. The long term loves what was once hated.

Second of all, whether it is fair or not, there is a stigma among most collectors with modern coins.

Yes!

And in the long term this has always proven to be the number one determinant of high demand. It doesn't matter why a thing is stigmatized. If it's a big silver coin that sat in vaults for decades because there was never a reason to make them in the first place or because they are just debased garbage the long term doesn't care. The long term loves what was once hated.

And I largely agree with you to a degree (capitalizing on market trends and buying when prices are low), but the key is capitalizing on it at the right moment. If the referenced pieces were made and available when gold was around $350 per ounce and silver around $5-$8, I would have been a strong buyer for them.

If the referenced pieces were made and available when gold was around $350 per ounce and silver around $5-$8, I would have been a strong buyer for them.

It's always riskier to buy things after prices have gone much higher. I might even agree that these coins are already outside the range that a prudent investor should buy them. Sure, they could go far higher yet but now there is more risk involved. People shouldn't be buying collectibles for investment. Even if you're right the circumstances can make you wrong. Of course people have been buying coins for investment anyway and no amount of warning will make them stop. People simply find huge profits too enticing to ignore not realizing the difficulties of actually making these profits.

I just don't know but it should be noted that many of the coins on the list didn't exist when gold was $300/ Ozt. I guess we all spin the wheel and take our chances. The winners are the ones who have the most fun and leave the place better than they found it. If this requires making huge profits in collectibles for someone then he starts the game at a disadvantage.

I recently had occasion to peruse and purchase Whitman's 100 Greatest US Modern Coins. If you are a serious collector of US coins with even a passing interest in modern coins, it belongs on your shelf or coffee table (or, in my case, on my kindle app). NGC's own Scott Schechter was the lead author, and the book has all of the interesting numismatic and historic information that you would want and expect, is well-illustrated and extremely well-written.

Check it out!

That number could be a game changer. What are the implications for the Julia Tyler?

Ron as you know if you have been following our work the unc Julia has a mintage of over 3100 coins. The 2800 number did not include 300 last minute orders at the close of sales. John and I are rolling through most of the moderns in a series of Numismatic News articles that we are going to post here. NN has said its ok to double post the work.

We are working on the following in this order.

*Introduction to basic theory that helps us understand good moderns in article 1-written

*The Silver Eagles including the 75th "s" set coming out now is article 2-written

*Mint State Platinum Eagles & the behavior of series date vs type sets is article 3. Working on the topics now.

*Proof Platinum Eagles with a focus on the 2004 and 2008 mentioned in the book is article 4.

*First spouse coinage with a focus on short sets (liberty) but covers the series fairly well for context is article 5. Ron I guess what I am saying is this First Spouse series is in John and my sights and will get covered in the next month or so.

Thanks

Eric

OK, let's see if we can liven things up a bit here! If you follow moderns you know that the 2 coin 75th SF Anniv ASE sets (EG1) went on sale today. The mint says they will post the cumulative data of units sold at 3pm tomorrow.Let's play guess the number. Here's the rules:

1) One guess per person or per user name. If you have more than one user name don't guess twice. Post your guess here in this thread.

2) You can't guess the same as anyone else that previously posted their guess.

3) I will post the number the mint displays at 3pm. If for any reason the number is not posted by 3:30pm, the contest will be void. If for any reason the info is posted before 3pm the info that is posted at 3pm will still be used providing the counter is a live feed. If it is not live and the info is posted before 3pm, contest is void. If for any reason the USM announces sales numbers before the counter is displayed, contest is void.

4) I wanna play too, but if I win I will donate the prize to a charity auction.

5) The prize is one (EG1) set, fresh from the mint, to be shipped to the winner within 48 hours of my receiving our first order.

6) Winner will be announced by me and will be the person that guesses closest to the actual number. In the event of a tie at opposite ends of the actual number, both will win.

7) If NGC mods have any issue with this at all for any reason, offer and contest are void.

Good luck!

John

My guess: 111,602

Ok, so I just noticed at 2:34pm that the counter is up and showing 85,341. It does not appear to be a live feed looks like they will update daily M-F. According to the rules contest is now void. :(

If I am doing my math right, it appears that if we did use this number our own thread originator, Eric Jordan would be the winner. SORRY ERIC!!!!!!!!

John

Ok, so I just noticed at 2:34pm that the counter is up and showing 85,341. It does not appear to be a live feed looks like they will update daily M-F. According to the rules contest is now void. :(

If I am doing my math right, it appears that if we did use this number our own thread originator, Eric Jordan would be the winner. SORRY ERIC!!!!!!!!

John

So then thqat puts me closest at my 127,963! Right? :devil:

OK, since there was no winner due to a technicality, I will re-run the contest for Monday's number with a minor change in rules:

1) One guess per person or per user name. If you have more than one user name don't guess twice. Post your guess here in this thread.

2) You can't guess the same as anyone else that previously posted their guess.

3) I will post the number the mint displays on Monday. If for any reason the number is not posted the contest will be void. If for any reason the USM announces sales numbers directly or indirectly before the Monday update occurs, contest is void.

4) I wanna play too, but if I win I will donate the prize to a charity auction.

5) The prize is one (EG1) set, fresh from the mint, to be shipped to the winner within 48 hours of my receiving our first order.

6) Winner will be announced by me and will be the person that guesses closest to the actual number. In the event of a tie at opposite ends of the actual number, both will win.

7) If NGC mods have any issue with this at all for any reason, offer and contest are void.

Good luck!

John

My guess: 111,602 (same as my first guess!)

John, thanks for a fun contest. My guess is 138,657.

Eric, Thanks for the update on the articles. You have been a busy guy. Keep up the great work. Thank you Ron