• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Science Project

23 posts in this topic

Im sure some of you dislike science projects but I have to ask.. Im coming to another crossroad in my life and I have to decide which road to take. I will retire from the Army soon and I have decided one course of action is to sell my stash. The wife totally disagrees but I want to see what options "CAN" be available... So, the science project is:

If I was to see all my coins, currently listed on the registry, what would you offer.. if money wasnt an issue. Trying to establish a baseline.

The only things I would keep for myself are my rolls of Morgan and Peace Dollars, silver bars, and of course, my wife's bullion commemoratives.

But for the ease of conversation, Im just talking about the coins in the registry.. the mint and proof sets and Dansco's are a topic for another day.

Thoughts?

Don't take this the wrong way, it is certainly not meant to be disparaging of your collection, but you have a lot of moderns, and a lot of bullion. You have collected what you enjoyed, and hopefully you made informed and wise decisions - but the reality is that much of your collection is not noted for its "investment" potential. There was a member recently who tried to sell a similar collection, and he got murdered. I don't know how much you paid for a lot of your stuff, but you probably won't get as much as you paid for it. One feature of the Registry is the price guide - I would estimate about 2/3 to 3/4 of the value given by the price guide and start from there. The price guide is usually pretty generous on this type of stuff. If you want to test the market, I would say consign a small portion of your collection to some dealer or auction (Teletrade or Great Collections would probably be best for the type of material you have).

You definitely have some nice stuff, such as your * graded Morgans, but a lot of your stuff is common, and that tends to hurt values. Again, not to disparage your collection - you have collected what you enjoy, and many of your pieces are attractive, but a reality check will probably hit hard if you sell it.

Brother, I paid peanuts for my modern stuff.. No pain would be felt. My power is in my Morgans and the beginnings of my 1878 Mint Set (which 2 $5s and a $20 are inroute)..

I know that my quarters, dimes, SAEs are not valued high.. I know that.. but then again, I got them from a great dealer who charged me way under FMV for them. I would like to get an "idea" on what somebody would offer.. just a science project..

Im doing this project because I feel a Four Winds Motorhome in my retirement plan..

:banana:

The best way to find out is to take some of the coins that you would like to sell and pick a dealer who seems to deal in what you collect and one who will work with you and run a market test run with some coins which you want to sell. Tell this dealer what you have in mind and discuss it with them. If they are receptive, than go for it. Good luck with that.

I would suggest looking up recent, comparable sales, if available as well as making a legitimate offer of sale in the venue of choice. That would give you the best idea of where you may be financially.

For some of your higher grade Morgan Dollars (e.g. 1880 s in NGC MS67 DPL) and higher end material, I recommend that you submit these to CAC. You will likely obtain higher prices as a result.

I had a super nice Lincoln Cent collection back in the day. Many top pop's. Decided to sell them and lost my a**.

Morgan's are a dime a dozen.

My word's of advise: Do your research before you decide to sell.

A CAC sticker will help but the right venue/timing is even more important.

Congratz on the future retirement! I will looking at retirement dead in the face here myself in a couple years and have some serious soul searching to do. I wish you luck and hope you find a way to keep your hobby alive.

As an owner of several motorhomes, including a cool class A with a garage for a mini cooper (which I use for race bikes), I would recommend you put aside a lot of money for maintenance.

Upkeep for the last seven years has run more than $50k.

You know the saying about a boat...the happiest days are when you buy it and sell it. Same for motorhomes.

Lance.

Yea, I know it would be a sad day if I ever sell my coins. My science project was just that, a science project. A project full of "what ifs". I can afford a motorhome now, I wont buy one now because I dont know if I will retire at my current location or not. I want to be settled before I make any decisions. I appreciate all the feedback this project has generated. Who knows, I might sell, I might not. The origional goal was to open a store when I retire and start it with my current inventory. My certified collection is a small one. I didnt start collecting certified coins until about 5 years ago. My stash of raw is more "interesting" . Again, thanks for the feedback/advice.

The word science is latin meaning knowledge. Science is a systematic enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions.

Oh.. conducting a "research" project.. I have a 2009 UHR MS70 First Strike from our brothers ATS.. what, if money wasnt an issue, would you offer for this doll.. here is a picture.

086.jpg

087.jpg

She can bring me more Morgans.. just saying!

The Morgan Dollar market hasn't been exempt from the decline in prices that (I am assuming) is the result of the poor national economy. I would wait for the economy to improve before attempting to liquidate your holdings. The current market is a buyer's market in my opinion.

Correct.. I was thinking the same. Ive been watching the market (ebay, heritage, stacks, teletrade).. I see that people have stopped buying coins.. and everything else for that matter.. Just another peice of my "test".. gotta be careful with the word experiment or science..

Hey, here is a link to some good tunes.. if anybody is interested.

Oh.. conducting a "research" project..

Your not going to like it.

Melt, maybe melt+5%. the coin just doesn't impress me. It isn't scarce, it isn't historic, the fact that it is a "70" doesn't impress me a 68 would be just as good. I don't even think it looks as good as the older ones. So to me it is just an oz of gold. And gold doesn't do anything for me.

Melt, maybe melt+5%. the coin just doesn't impress me. It isn't scarce, it isn't historic, the fact that it is a "70" doesn't impress me a 68 would be just as good. I don't even think it looks as good as the older ones. So to me it is just an oz of gold. And gold doesn't do anything for me.

Since the question posed was whether we personally would pay a certain amount for the coin, I agree one hundred percent with Condor. The MS70 grade doesn't do a lot for me personally; however, I realize that the larger coin market might not see things the way I do.

It's an ounce of gold in an ugly package…maybe a few percent over melt for curiosity value.

(The originals were in 0.900 fine gold and have a completely different "look" to them. Using bullion was the only way the modern mint could make the reproductions.)

I absolutely agree. I like the look of the PL ones much better, but the premium for these bullion pieces is just ridiculous.