• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My 10,000th Post Giveaway Contest!!!!!!!

65 posts in this topic

It's tough to say which is my favorite. It comes down to three.

My 1919-S Mercury Dime. I bought this in a PCGS 64 holder almost 20 years ago now (wow!) and still think it's FB. Yeah, I know some are very picky about that but I'd bet this beats the vast majority of examples that are graded FB....it's about as close to FULL STRIKE as you'll get. Also, the last I checked, the 19-S is the rarest Mercury dime in mint state (FB or not)....at least from a population standpoint. This now resides in a MS65 holder but is still way undervalued due to the lack of FB...

10c-19s._1200.jpg

This 1936-D Buffalo nickel I've owned about 10 years and it's easy to see why I like it so much. In a PCGS 66 holder and this easily goes into AnkurJ's "buried" thread for me. Paid way too much but...I DON'T CARE.

5c-36d_1200.jpg

Then there is this 1918-S Mercury which I bought RAW at the Stack's table at the Long Beach show in 1994. Now in a PCGS 65 holder. Not the full strike like the 19-S but still a rarer early Merc.

10c-18s_1200.jpg

There you have it!

jom

Congrats Jason. 10000 is a lot of info and lots of people, me included , have got heaps of valuable knowledge from you

Cheers

No Prooflikes here but one newy that I really like

1837NoStarHalfDimeMS64.jpg

At the tail end of the great silver dollar distribution in 1963 I was a high schooler and had been collecting coins since I was eight. My tiny bank account was far short of the $1,000 necessary to buy a bag of dollars form the Treasury Dept., and my parents were not about to hand me the money to buy a bag of coins “that even the bank won’t take back.” I was stuck reading the stories in Coin World and watching local TV coverage of lines a block long in Washington. My town bank had been cleaned out months before, and to “get out of Dodge” I could only beg the family car on Saturday or a school holiday.

Primary silver dollar distribution had ended by the time I got a weekday off from school so I could borrow the car and check out banks in nearby towns. I drove around all day. The answer was always the same: “All gone.”

Finally, I stopped at a rather grubby looking savings and loan about 12 miles from home. It was almost 1pm – an hour from local bank closing time. I didn’t have an account there, but I did have $50 cash. I asked if they had any silver dollars.

“Yes, we have some,” came the reply. “But you can only have five, and you can’t come back for any more, and we don’t want them back.”

“Just five? OK. I’ll take ‘em.”

The teller grabbed five coins from her till, put them in a paper envelope and I traded my $5 bill for the silver. I didn’t dare look at them while in the bank. Her warning seemed sufficient to discourage any “coin collector.”

In the car I opened the envelope. No bright shiny uncirculated coins; one common date Morgan, one 1922 Peace, another common date, and another. The last coin out of the envelope was well worn, but the date was “1893.” OK, that was good. I didn’t have any 1893s in my blue Whitman albums. I turned it over, and there was the jackpot – a nice clear “S.” I knew it was a rare date, but since I seldom looked at the Red Book prices of expensive coins, I didn’t know what I had.

1893-S001.jpg

The drive home was simultaneously jackrabbit fast and snail slow. At home I ran to my room and looked for my worn Red Book --- couldn’t find it. But a tattered Blue Book turned up. I checked…WoW $50! That one coin was worth all the money I had in by pocket. Were there more? Did the teller at the S&L have an unknown stash of 1893-S dollars?

I couldn’t just go back and ask for more. She’d recognize me and throw me out of the building – maybe call my parents for being a pest and not listening to instructions. What to do? Then I remembered by younger cousins who lived across the road. They were kids - mere pests - but maybe I could “borrow” one of them and have them buy more dollars. I would even pay one of the pests to help me.

It was a good idea, but my being a teenage driver was not on my side. My cousin’s Mom, called my Mom and they had a private rating session of my driving skills. Apparently I passed, with some reluctance, and was permitted to take the older cousin, age 14, with me to the S&L.

We arrived just before closing. I briefed my cousin on what to do, what to ask for, how to talk to the teller and reminded him to be sure to thank her. He disappeared into the gloomy place with a $5 bill in hand. I wasn’t sure if he understood or not.

I waited and waited. It seemed like a long time, but was probably only a minute or two before my cousin was back in the car. He handed me an envelope with coins in it and I handed him a $2.50 payment for his time and trouble. “She said I couldn’t come back again,” was his only comment.

The new envelope had five circulated silver dollars – all were common dates. Keepers…well, maybe, but none would fill my imaginary extra 1893-S hole.

I have the coin. Its humble picture is posted here. I really don’t care how many dollars it’s worth. I can look at this round piece of silver and remember the time, the people and the world as it was before Dallas, before Vietnam, before Nixon, before so many events of the adult world intruded.

Congratulations on your 10,000th Jason! The coin below is tops for me right now for several reasons. First, its history. It comes from the early days of the 49er Gold Rush, where the San Francisco Mint was in its infancy. It speaks of an exciting time of westward expansion and the boom days of Sierra gold mining. Because of the rich California Gold Rush history, I have been looking to build an 1850's S mint gold type set, and pretty much every coin one can buy within this group is rare and to pick examples that are affordable and rich in eye appeal is a challenge. This is my first of the 50's SF gold type set and am still working on the rest. The rarest S quarter eagle is the 1854-S with just a few known. No quarter eagles were minted at SF in 1855, the next two are the 1856-S and this 1857-S which have mintages of 72,000 (178 in NGC census) and 69,200 (160 in NGC census) respectively. The only other 50's SF quarter eagle is the 1859-S (15,200, 85 in NGC census). So I have been looking to buy a QE of the 3 latter dates in AU and this is the one I obtained.

Second, a few years back I had bought an 1856-S QE online in PCGS AU50. After learning more about it and a few other pieces I had bought, I realized I was buying washed out heavily dipped pieces, all of which are now gone from my collection. Online it was hard to tell this, and it wasn't until I started going to shows that I realized I have to see especially silver and gold in hand, or have someone else look at them in hand for me, before I bid or buy. This piece was obtained during a breakthrough for me in this regard - I got it at a Heritage auction (my first lot viewing on site) where I looked at 100s of Liberty Gold, and found so many to be dipped out when seeing in hand - lesson learned for sure. This one is not washed out from dipping, it has richly toned surfaces with gorgeous underlying luster. So this first auction I attended taught me the lesson of hand picking and being more careful as I build my collection and this was one of the outcomes.

Third, I am just as interested in capturing the beauty of coins in photographs as I am about having the coins themselves. I have been working on technique now for around 3.5 years, and still have a long way to go. One problem I was having with circulated gold was capturing the luster on the surfaces. I spent many sessions getting dull, non-lusterous images that did not reflect the beauty of these coins. After reading Goodman's book for about the 10th time, I found a few hints of something to do with my technique that may work. This was the first circulated gold coin where, with this new improvement in technique, I feel I really captured the richness and luster of the surfaces. I am still not quite there yet for all circulated gold as each has its own unique character and challenges to image, but this image of this QE was a big step for my technique and learning the subtleties of taking great images. This new technique had led to the purchase of another lens that should help as I reshoot all of my collection yet again. Some day I just might capture all of my collection well in images, but this QE was a big step in that direction.

Best, HT

1857-S25dNGC.jpg

Congrats on 10,000 posts, maybe I'll catch you someday! Here is a favorite of mine, the coin that got me to finally like toned coins, one I bought from a longtime dealer in Michigan who used to dig up some of the most amazing coins. Unfortunately he passed away just a couple years after I bought it.

934442.jpg

Congratulations on your milestone!

This could be an neat way to get me into US coins :)

Here's the coin that started my half a decade obsession with 8 Reales and, more specifically, with fascinating issues of Mexican War of Independence.

It's an 1814 8 Reales minted in a provisional mint of Guadalajara. The opening of the Guadalajara mint was caused, as in the other provisional mints, by the War of Independence. It closed in 1815 and was re-opened in 1818, due to the efforts of the President of the Council, Field Marshal Done Jose de la Cruz, only to be closed again the latter part of the same year. Official records state that this mint was not re-opened until August 21, 1821.

Because adequate dies were not provided in the beginning of the war, the mint (as many other provisional mints) had to cut it's own set of dies which were much cruder than what we used to seeing on portrait 8 Reales of Ferdinand VII from Mexico City.

The harsh environment and strain under which these provisional mints operated with the war raging all around the countryside make for an incredibly interesting area of numismatics.

Cheers,

Roman.

1129624_Full_Obv.jpg

1129624_Full_Rev.jpg

Here is one of my most favorite coins!

A 1920 D Walker in MS 64. I have always been very fond of this issue and I was looking around for a good example for a LONG time (about 5 years or more). It took me quite a while to find the right one. I thought about buying a MS 65, briefly, but they are VERY pricey. I once found an MS 65 but I didn't like it, b/c it was too dark and the luster seemed a bit off to me, although it was clean and very well struck.

I was very lucky to get this coin for around bid. SUPERTOOTH and I both have agreed upon the fact that this issue is very undervalued and it is a 'sleeper' and has a good upside investment potential. It is the rarest coin produced in 1920 and it is ranked 5TH in MS rarity in the entire series, which is pretty darned HIGH. Mintage is just 1,551,000. There are about 150-200 coins known (PCGS/NGC) in MS 64 with just 55 higher and this issue is not known in any grade above MS 66.

JOM was kind enough to send me the well known Pryor article on Walkers that appeared in a CDN from years ago, the mid seventies, I believe. It was a VERY interesting and enjoyable read and much appreciated. It stated that this issue is tough to find with a fully struck head. I like the full head on my example, although I have not found this statement to be entirely accurate, as I have encountered a few other coins with full head details. This issue is not really a strike rarity BUT it tends to have only moderately well struck central details and the strike varies from soft to quite sharp and most examples fall somewhere in the middle.

I like my coin because the thumb is about as full as I have seen for this issue and I like the center skirt line details, as well. The luster on this coin is above average and it is starting to retone VERY nicely with a beautiful golden hue. Luster on this issue varies from softly frosted to satiny. I would say that this example is more towards the frosty end of the spectrum, for sure. The fields are mostly clean on my coin with just a few wispy abrasions. I have seen some MS 65s with the same and even MORE abrasions above the motto, so it is quite acceptable to me. The reverse of this coin has nice breast feather definition on the eagle, too.

I am very happy with this coin and I admire it and it is decent, overall, in the luster, strike and surface preservation categories.

1920d64cmeo.jpg

1920d64cr.jpg

Thank You, Jason, for this fun contest and generous opportunity!

And Congrats on 10,000 posts!! :applause:

Congratulations Jason!! Man that's a lot of talking in just a few short years. You've got 6 months on me along with 6,000+ more posts. You've been a very busy boy.

Like others here, I don't have a favorite, but a lot of favorites.

I'll pick this 1812 CBH for today. No real reason other than I love the colors, it's a cool year and I just happened to be in the right place at the right time when it became available.

1812CBHmed.jpg

Congrats on 10000 posts!

This is my official first and favorite "coin". This was made on my first trip to the Empire State Building when I was 4 and had just come to the US. It has mine and my brothers name stamped on the reverse. It reminds me of how my family came to this country with very little and how with hard work we have all become successful. The best thing my parents ever did for my brother and I was decide to come to the US. I have saved it since then, and it will always be the most priceless and favorite coin in my collection.

jv17j5.jpg

Ankur

Congrats on 10000 posts!

This is my official first and favorite "coin". This was made on my first trip to the Empire State Building when I was 4 and had just come to the US. It has mine and my brothers name stamped on the reverse. It reminds me of how my family came to this country with very little and how with hard work we have all become successful. The best thing my parents ever did for my brother and I was decide to come to the US. I have saved it since then, and it will always be the most priceless and favorite coin in my collection.

Ankur

Ankur,

That is a very cool story. It is folks like You and your Family, that have made this

nation great. Thank You for sharing.

Malcolm

The winners have been selected at random (names put into a random number generator, and then the first two won). The winners are ldhair and bsshog40. Congrats, and thanks everyone for playing.

The winners have been selected at random (names put into a random number generator, and then the first two won). The winners are ldhair and bsshog40. Congrats, and thanks everyone for playing.

Wtg Larry and Bobby and thanks Jason for the cool contest. :whee:

If ya ask me and so far no one has, there was an over whelming response to this historic event...I had mucho enjoyment following this thread and want to wish the winners a big hooray and a thank you to Jason for his accomplishment and generosity.

If ya ask me and so far no one has, there was an over whelming response to this historic event...I had mucho enjoyment following this thread and want to wish the winners a big hooray and a thank you to Jason for his accomplishment and generosity.
+1 :applause:

Cool beans. Nice of you to do this for the community and please keep up the great, informative posting!!

Ditto it was grest fun.

Excellent contest and two deserving winners!!

I look forward to your 20,000 post give away!!

Wow. Really cool. In all my years on the forums, I have never won anything.

Thank you so much. Congrats to you as well Bobby.

Thanks to Jason for all your many fine postings, and for the generous contest, and also thanks to the participants with their various fascinating stories and wonderful coin images. My apologies for not entering the contest but all my best items are stashed beyond immediate easy access, and I was out of town for most of the duration.

that is awesome. im happy for the winners.

congrats Jason, and very generous gesture on your part.

if i was going to participate, I would have actually posted the CC Morgan that I was lucky enough to receive for free from Jobessi. Sorry I don't have any pics of it on the comp at the moment. Nonetheless it is a special coin for me. You guy's are awesome.