• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bye!!

81 posts in this topic

Yes, Jaime is certainly one of the good guys and I'd be sorry to see him go, but if that's his choice I can do nothing but wish him well.

Ah heck, I ll miss his magnificent Roosie post, and insightful commentary. (worship)

I think he'll be back to say " hi ", from time to time, at least I hope so.

Hey Jamie, can you post one last coin for us? I want to see your best coin.

Best of luck,

Ya'll come back now, ya hear!

I like the ngc forum as well as the pcgs forum, great people on both boards

+1

With this said, I am not familiar with much hazing or personal attacks either (or attacks on coins). Most of the comments that I see are honest opinions that should be respected even if genuine disagreement exists. With the exception of a handful of threads, most of them seem civilized.

Well it has been 3 weeks since I last posted. I needed to take care of some things in my life.

Well today was a slow day at work and I got off at noon. I spent a few hours reading post that

I had missed. I soon discovered I no longer care for this place. This place has really changed

since I first joined and I really don't care for what it has become. What happened to education

and learning more about this wonderful hobby. There is far to many bashing post of people or the

coins that they bought or thinking of buying. People should be able to collect what they like.

Just because you don't collect it doesn't mean you have to look down on people that do.

So I didn't decided this will be my last post. Bye everyone!!

Sorry you (and anyone else) feels that way, but maybe a little perspective might help.

As far as the NGC side of these boards go, it is a wonderland of civility and politeness...when compared to the CGC and Water Cooler side of these boards.

If you have the nerve, stroll over to the CGC boards and see how the "what you collect sucks, what I collect rules" mentality is enshrined. Open hostility is frequent, and one must be verrrrry careful when expressing any opinion someone else may not like.

As well, there is a very territorial vibe, and folks will actually PM new people to "warn" them about others, instead of letting them make up their own minds.

This is not complaining, it just is what it is. I understand that to some folks, the NGC side is obnoxious. But...compared to even other sections of the Collector's Society, it really is a rather nice place to be.

Good luck wherever you end up. I'll miss your pretty Roosies.

I like the ngc forum as well as the pcgs forum, great people on both boards

I agree. I simply meant that the comments on the PCGS boards tend to be a little more strident than over here. That being said, I quite like both the NGC & PCGS boards. They both are quite educational and fun, and IMO both NGC and PCGS are to be thanked for creating them.

I do not know Chris or Augustus, but if more than one is leaving us, I would appreciate an explanation.Jim

Hey, Jim! Here I am! Here I am! I'm not going anywhere! I think it's another Chris who is leaving.

I, too, am very sorry to see Jaime leave. I feel he has always been a positive asset to these forums. I wish I had known this had been bugging him. Perhaps we could have discussed it privately.

As others have mentioned, I think that advertising another forum on your sig line is very tacky, and I made a point of complaining to Arch about it. Naturally, NGC is too good of a host to put a stop to it. That's one of the reasons why I will always consider NGC my "official home".

The other Chris

Jaime,

I think if you are going to leave, you should go out in a blaze of glory and actually air what is bothering you, because honestly, I have no idea what you are talking about.

The only really annoying thing I have seen is a group of children who are spamming the forum with huge sig line banners intended to get people to come swim in their little pond.

I for one appreciate your knowledge and passion for proof Roosevelt Dimes and will miss you if you actually decide to leave. Good luck my friend!

Paul

I don’t know what problems these guys have here. I’ll tell you this. If you think that people are rude and aggressive here, don’t even think about posting ATS. I’ve been beat up over there quite often it’s hard to count. My “sins” have ranged from warning collectors about the dangers of paying too much for ultra high grade modern to coins to not responding a private message. One guy even threatened me with physical harm when I used the word “Chinaman.”

No compared to ATS the members on this sight are a group of ladies and gentleman.

I am confused as well by all of the recent "I am leaving" posts as I don't see these things going on that are being discussed as the tipping point for those leaving. Sure the World Registry stuff drove some away and I get that but I haven't seen all the negativity that's being talked about here?

I hate to see people go and I mean absolutely no disrespect to any of those leaving but I think you might want to consider developing a thicker skin. The world is not all rainbows, flowers and fairy dust and different opinions are the way of the world. Sure I see coins I don't like and I refrain from posting opinions while others might jump in and post an opinion that the coin is a dog. That doesn't make them wrong or me right and if folks don't want honest opinions of coins or situations (Ebay & dealer Transactions) then why post them?

I hope those that have decided to exit take a step back and realize how unimportant coin forum interactions are in the scheme of life, relax and little and just have fun. When uglyness and negativty rears its head around here it is usually easy to avoid stepping in it and it's a lot less stressful. :foryou:

If you want to leave then just do so. There is no need to be all dramatic about it and make announcements about your departure. Seems like a desperate attention grab to me.

Want to go? Go. There will still be plenty of good threads here without you... none of us is so important that the boards would disintegrate without us. Some of us realize that, others not so much.

Agree with the above. Suggest giving yourself a time out and you may want to come back after a few weeks hiatus. This is a great place and there is nothing wrong with giving an honest opinion when someone asks for it.

Well as for this being a public forum, there are always that 10% of population that tend to infest in a good thing. The members announcing thier leaving are good members as far as I'm concerned. Those that are posting in this thread things like, good riddens, glad to see ya leave, being announced to have someone beg you back, are really comments that are not needed and usually fall into that 10% that I was talking about. Lack of respect to each other only indicates the type of person that you are. I don't usually try to offend anyone, but I think those that have merely posted rude comments have no place in my books either. I don't understand why some people have the desire to sit behind a keyboard to ridicule others. Is this how you treat your personal friends or even family? I consider a lot of the members here very close friends even tho' I haven't met them. There are some members here that have shown thier friendship in times of need to myself and others of this board. I would hope that others can try to read the personality of others instead of disrespecting others they don't know. Ok, that was my rant!! lol

I refrain from posting sometimes when I see a coin I don't like if it seems like the guy is a total newbie and would be completely turned off to the hobby.

I do post when I see a piece that is a counterfeit. That is one area where the newbies need to learn the ropes fast. If you are going to spend a significant amount of money on coins, buy only certified pieces if you are not good a spotting counterfeits. Buying damaged and counterfeit coins at “bargain prices” is no bargain.

Telling people what they want to hear is okay to a point. Not everyone can afford high grade coins, and everyone has their level. It's good to celebrate with a fellow collector when they reach an important goal, even if their coins are not nearly as nice as YOU would like.

I’m ahead of many collectors, but guys like Boiler, Trade Dollar Nut and Cardinal can blow my collection out of the water with one hand tied behind their backs. That’s just the way life is. There is almost always somebody out there who can do things better than you can do them.

I’m ahead of many collectors, but guys like Boiler, Trade Dollar Nut and Cardinal can blow my collection out of the water with one hand tied behind their backs. That’s just the way life is. There is almost always somebody out there who can do things better than you can do them.

As long as you own that Disme I think your collection Rocks! Never seen any of Cardinals post but I put you ahead of TDN any day of the week!

As for your earlier comment about ATS. You nailed it on the head. I rather liked the confrontational atmosphere. Id just lick my wounds and go back at it! lol It appears to have mellowed out alot recently

I refrain from posting sometimes when I see a coin I don't like if it seems like the guy is a total newbie and would be completely turned off to the hobby.

I do post when I see a piece that is a counterfeit. That is one area where the newbies need to learn the ropes fast. If you are going to spend a significant amount of money on coins, buy only certified pieces if you are not good a spotting counterfeits. Buying damaged and counterfeit coins at “bargain prices” is no bargain.

Telling people what they want to hear is okay to a point. Not everyone can afford high grade coins, and everyone has their level. It's good to celebrate with a fellow collector when they reach an important goal, even if their coins are not nearly as nice as YOU would like.

Well said.

"I do post when I see a piece that is a counterfeit. That is one area where the newbies need to learn the ropes fast. If you are going to spend a significant amount of money on coins, buy only certified pieces if you are not good a spotting counterfeits. Buying damaged and counterfeit coins at “bargain prices” is no bargain"

to right mate you helped me so much (and to many others it list hear) when i first popped over the pond to this forum.

I personally have had nothing but good advice and help since joining ..

• Administrator
The last time I checked we don't have an unabridged-dictionary sized Terms of Use. That link is in my sig, Mr. Feld.

Read this:

http://purelynumismatics.com/Thread-The-Goal-of-Purely-Numismatics

CC

Interesting. Just to clarify, apparently this person is upset at this PM from me:

"Hello,

Graphical advertisements for promotional entities are not allowed in signatures on the boards, as it conflicts with paid advertisers. Please remove the banner ad in your signature.

You can use text links, though. "

This is an established policy that has been in place since 2007 (here). Its purpose is to allow the paid advertisers to have a unique presence on the boards for their money.

We do sell a certain amount of advertising on these boards as a way to generate revenue that offsets the costs of both maintaining them and improving them. 5 million + posts and loads of active users costs some money to host appropriately.

Apparently this person is upset at this policy as they were clearly hoping to prominently advertise a competitive community. I'm sorry, but it's not allowed. If you'd like to promote something so aggressively, you may want to consider paid advertising options. Although it's unlikely that we would accept paid advertising from a competitive web presence there are alot of venues (Coin World, etc.) that have a good audience of collectors that would love to do business with you.

Good luck with your goals, but please conform to our moderation policies while here.

Thanks!

Arch

The last time I checked we don't have an unabridged-dictionary sized Terms of Use. That link is in my sig, Mr. Feld.

Read this:

CC

Interesting. Just to clarify, apparently this person is upset at this PM from me:

"Hello,

Graphical advertisements for promotional entities are not allowed in signatures on the boards, as it conflicts with paid advertisers. Please remove the banner ad in your signature.

This is an established policy that has been in place since 2007 (here). Its purpose is to allow the paid advertisers to have a unique presence on the boards for their money.

We do sell a certain amount of advertising on these boards as a way to generate revenue that offsets the costs of both maintaining them and improving them. 5 million + posts and loads of active users costs some money to host appropriately.

Apparently this person is upset at this policy as they were clearly hoping to prominently advertise a competitive community. I'm sorry, but it's not allowed. If you'd like to promote something so aggressively, you may want to consider paid advertising options. Although it's unlikely that we would accept paid advertising from a competitive web presence there are alot of venues (Coin World, etc.) that have a good audience of collectors that would love to do business with you.

Good luck with your goals, but please conform to our moderation policies while here.

Thanks!

Arch

:headbang:

Read this:

CC

"Hello,

Thanks!

Arch

Thanks, Arch!

Chris

Schatzy and Chris, I am sorry to see you both go and hope that you interests will rekindle some day and you will return to these boards. I have had some periods of inactivity, some lasting awhile, were I have not posted to this board for a couple of years during the longest stretch. However, my interests get rekindled by some tangental event and I come back for awhile. Such is the nature of hobby boards, I suspect.

What Bill Jones said and what also worked for me finally. This was getting my collection pared down to the monetary level where I could enjoy myself without concern so much about the investment side of the hobby. Also, I reconciled the coins that I acquire to my collecting needs and quit being concerned about the competitive side of this hobby.

I have been on this board for 11 years now and have seen so many people come and go. Some of the people who have left this board made significant contributions while posting here to my and many people's knowlege, some not so much. I miss the one's who made a difference.

Anyhow, good luck and I hope to see you guys posting again someday.

Being very new myself I can only say that I am sorry to see anybody leave this forum, but I wish anybody who chooses to do so the best. I find this forum to have a very pleasnat atmosphere, and while I do see a post now and then that I find a little harsh the vast majority of what I read is perfectly acceptable in my eyes. I for one welcome honest criticism, but not everyone feels the same way.

From my experience these things occur over time in all forums and communities online or otherwise. Things do change! Such is life, and while some of us may choose to weather through these changes (either internal or external) others may feel it is no longer worth it to do so. Thats ok! Change can sometimes be very beneficial for us! It sounds like people who have left have thought carefully about the decision they wanted to make before leaving...and maybe they may change their mind and come back - thats ok too!

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with stating why a person is leaving before they do so. Some may even see it as the courteous thing to do. I don't see it as a cry for attention as some others have said unless that person is routinely coming back to fuel the fire. I don't see that here.

As for actively advertising a competing forum here, I do find that rather poor taste but I think its important to keep in mind the age of the primary individual who has been doing so. Immature brains (and I don't mean this in a disparaging way at all, strictly bologically speaking) don't think in the same way as a more developed brain. We should all keep that in mind.

Thanks for the clarification on the banners Arch. I have been tempted to post something about them myself because I find them rude, but I figured it was better coming from a mod than me so I stayed silent. It seems like going to someone's house for a party and then telling everyone there what a lame party it is and that everyone should go to this other party at someone else's house....just kind of tacky IMHO.

Read this:

CC

"Hello,

Thanks!

Arch

:headbang:

He is 16 years old what else would you expect from a kid