• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinion on a coin...Scans posted.

28 posts in this topic

EDIT: SCROLL DOWN TO SEE SCANS; THEY HAVE BEEN ADDED IN ANOTHER POST.

Recently, in my quest for a high grade 1881 CC Morgan, I discovered a coin I may like from a well known dealer. Now I normally only buy coins with NO toning or dark areas, original as possible. That being said, if I post the photo, it links right to the dealer's website.

I tried to 'mask' and recopy the image but could not. Appearantly, a method has been employed to prevent scans from being stolen. Anyone mind contacting me so I can get their opinion of the coin?

I would post the image here, but it will link to the dealer's website. I don't know how everyone would feel about that.

I would really appreciate the help. I did ask the dealer for more photograghs, but they contacted me saying it is very hard to provide more photos of this item; due to how it photographs/scans. I will be calling them on Monday; as they provided excellent service thus far.

Please understand that I am looking for a clean, frosty coin. Luster and originality are important to me.

PS: If this post is not acceptable or if I am violating any forum rules, I will remove this post within twenty four hours or as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

'mint'

That looks like a nice, blast white, frosty, lustrous coin. I'd grade it 66 from the scans.

It is almost impossible to tell if that is original or if it has been dipped from those pictures. The coin looks attractive, and that's all I can say.

Based on those scans that coin looks to be every bit a technical or condition MS66. If it has been dipped, it's nonetheless "market acceptable" all day long, how's that?

It's an '81-CC and these are not frequently dipped as are many other issues in the series. I wouldn't worry about that issue at all, unless you get the coin and discover it's fifty watts brighter than all the ones you already own.

It's a scanned image, so I'd guess MS-66 or better.

I would go 65+ based on the images. If it's in a 66 holder then I would differ to that grade since I'm looking at scans on monitor here. If it's a 65 then it looks like a very solid 65.

It is a scan so the luster is going to be washed out by the photo process ..

I have a small issue with the semi circle mark on the rim on the reverse above the second "S" in "STATES" dunno what that is ... maybe a holder anomolie ??

Otherwise problem and mark free ... Nice coin MS66

I like the coin

and suspect there is NO TONE and the light blue I see is due to

imaging method - does the seller have others the same color?

some scanners make white coins look like that

and it looks like in a PCGS slab

I have a small issue with the semi circle mark on the rim on the reverse above the second "S" in "STATES" dunno what that is ... maybe a holder anomolie ??

You got what I was hesitant about. This is why I am calling the dealer on Monday to ask about this. Unfortunately, I have to deal with the dealer's staff and not the dealer himself. Depending on who is helping me this could go either way. This begs the question is that marking a holder issue or a defect on the coin? I do NOT like toning at all, especially on Morgans. That being said, I don't like unnatural and 'dipped' coins either.

If this issue gets resolved, I may 'pop' on this coin.

Any other thoughts? The grade is a 66 , so I am not looking for anyone to comment on the grade; unless you disagree. I just want to know what your thoughts are on this coin.

I appreciate any and all responses and special thanks goes to those who have helped thus far.

Sincerely yours,

'mint'

Does the seller have a window in which you can return the coin for a full refund? If so, what do you stand to lose? Figure it that way. You're particular, the scans look promising, but they're still just scans. What will it cost you to take a look? That's what I think I'd be asking, at this point, given a favorable resolution on your rim anomaly question.

Easy decision, tell mark feld what you want and let him find one for you. He has a great eye.

He already has my want list. Thanks for the receommendation though. That being said, I am asking about THIS coin.

Most dealers would agree, I am very particular when it comes to what I buy. Please understand that this is why I am asking a question on what most poeple on these forums think about this coin. I appreciate the help!

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Let me ask a more direct question about the coin. Does anyone think that the coin will appear 'darker' or 'cloudier' in hand? I know sometimes a photograph or a scanner can increase the 'brightness' of a coin in general; especially if the picture or scan is not taken properly. Anyone think that this will be the case in regards to this coin?

Looks like planchet metal residue pushed up from striking? Im sure theres a technical term for that but Ive no clue what that is.

Good chance it will be a bit "cloudier" IMHO. That type of haze, or whatever you call it, is attractive from an originality point of view as it can be dipped off instantly in most cases.

Darker? I doubt it.

Looks like planchet metal residue pushed up from striking? Im sure theres a technical term for that but Ive no clue what that is.

That is not an issue with the coin. It is simply the PCGS gasket that is pushed up a bit and caught on the rim. I sold a Peace Dollar on eBay that had the gasket pushed up like that and someone asked me if it was a problem with the coin.

Ive seen this coin in hand actually. Its really frosty. No real cartwheel luster to speak of. SOlid for the price he is asking. He is a good guy and if your not happy with it just let him know

Thank you for all the advice! I am currently in the process of working out a deal to view the coin and go from there. I want to truly thank the members of this forum who managed to help me with this.

The part of the coin in question (i.e. the holder issue); is just that, part of the PCGS holder.

I will update this thread once I get a chance to view the coin and make my final decision. Please feel free to continue to comment.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Here is a quick update:

I was able to get the coin in hand in order for me to preview it before I agreed to buy it. That being said, I am overall very pleased with the coin in hand. It is overall, a 'white' coin, that looks to be fully original in my 'non-expert' opinion. There is some minor rim toning (a champagne color), but luckily it is minor enough for me to overlook this aspect of the coin. This is due in part because there is virtually no major wear or scratches on the surface of the coin. Had there have been more wear on the coin, I would be more critical of this aspect (yes, I really am that 'picky'). The strike is great as well; and the coin presents very well. That being the case, and since this is a MS-66; I will be working out a deal to purchase the coin from the dealer. I truly agree with the grade and don't think the scans do it justice.

I would like to thank a lot of individuals in the numismatic field who helped provide references for me; as well as those who shared their opinions and helped me along the way. I am very thankful for this 'thread' and ALL the input I received.

Respectfully,

'mint'

Here is a quick update:

... There is some minor rim toning (a champagne color), but luckily it is minor enough for me to overlook this aspect of the coin. This is due in part because there is virtually no major wear or scratches on the surface of the coin. Had there have been more wear on the coin, I would be more critical of this aspect...

There should be no wear on a mint state coin, and I see no wear in the photographs. There also shouldn't be a lot of chatter in the fields or on the devices at this level. Before you revealed the grade, I graded it MS66 and it appears solid for the grade to me.

Here is a quick update:

... There is some minor rim toning (a champagne color), but luckily it is minor enough for me to overlook this aspect of the coin. This is due in part because there is virtually no major wear or scratches on the surface of the coin. Had there have been more wear on the coin, I would be more critical of this aspect...

There should be no wear on a mint state coin, and I see no wear in the photographs. There also shouldn't be a lot of chatter in the fields or on the devices at this level. Before you revealed the grade, I graded it MS66 and it appears solid for the grade to me.

And it is solid for the grade. What I am referring to is if this coin was graded at 64 or 65 and had more wear (acceptable for a coin in that grade range) I would not be buying it because of the minor edge toning. I am that picky! It would have to be one or the other.

I thank you for your opinion.

'mint'

Here is a quick update:

I was able to get the coin in hand in order for me to preview it before I agreed to buy it. That being said, I am overall very pleased with the coin in hand. It is overall, a 'white' coin, that looks to be fully original in my 'non-expert' opinion. There is some minor rim toning (a champagne color), but luckily it is minor enough for me to overlook this aspect of the coin. This is due in part because there is virtually no major wear or scratches on the surface of the coin. Had there have been more wear on the coin, I would be more critical of this aspect (yes, I really am that 'picky'). The strike is great as well; and the coin presents very well. That being the case, and since this is a MS-66; I will be working out a deal to purchase the coin from the dealer. I truly agree with the grade and don't think the scans do it justice.

I would like to thank a lot of individuals in the numismatic field who helped provide references for me; as well as those who shared their opinions and helped me along the way. I am very thankful for this 'thread' and ALL the input I received.

Respectfully,

'mint'

Don't apologise for being picky if you are the one spending the cash. Unless the price is over the moon, my question is why don't you already own it.