• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A little OT: Guess Who's Filming a Segment for PAWN STARS?!?!?

28 posts in this topic

Lil ol me! I have an old WWII aerial camera (with original film inside). Approx 15,000 of these cameras were made during WWII and most US bombers were equipped with 1 or 2 of them. The Pawn Stars people said they were very interested in filming me and my camera for one of their segments. So they will film my segment next week when I'm in Las Vegas for the PCGS and Las Vegas Palace Station shows. I'm very excited! Of course, there's no guarantee that they will air my segment, but hopefully it turns out entertaining enough!

ElToro-20120213-01530.jpg

ElToro-20120213-01531.jpg

ElToro-20120213-01534.jpg

ElToro-20120213-01535.jpg

That's very cool, Charmy! Don't let them lowball you, and tell them I think they're overpriced on their common-date, circulated CC Morgans. :devil:

Chris

With your good looks and personality, your a shoe in to get on the show. Good luck...as a side note, can you give us a clue how much you'll be wanting for that camera?

Rick is going to call in his buddy Mark Hall-Patton from the Clark County Museum to authenticate the camera and a bit of history.

My grandfather used one of those K-20 camera's while doing recon in Japan during WWII. He was co-pilot of a B-24 that would fly over and take hundreds of pictures of an area of interest, some of the photo's they took were almost surreal in the level of detail you could see. I'm not sure how much those camera's are worth but I wouldn't even step foot in the door of that place (although I must admit I do enjoy seeing what comes in). If your intending to sell, make him give you a price rather than him ask you what you want first as whatever you say, he's going to cut it down to 1/3 of that.. IF that.

Love the show and I agree about 'BIG HOSS" !

He is a stingey :censored:

No matter how low you start he'll ALWAYS counter.

He rips people off IMHO! Be strong and stick to your price!!

Most of all HAVE FUN!

The 'old man' will get involved in WWII items. Act like a cop pulled you over, give a wink, kinda flirt a bit....and like ducksoup says, ask THEM to give YOU an offer before you give them a number. I watch it all the time, and yes, 'big hoss' IS stingy, but he IS going to take it over someday, so....

And I have to admit, not only has 'big hoss' trimmed down a bit, for some reason he, and even Chumlee, seem to have gained knowledge (I KNOW...Chumlee has gotten more knowledgable...I guess miracles CAN happen!). They were almost as dumb as stumps in the first season.

Good luck...I know you won't be afraid to walk away if the numbers aren't right.

By the way, the film...whats on it, or is it blank/exposed by now???

What a neat opportunity!

I'm interested to hear your report of just how scripted the show actually is. Will the producers tell you what price to offer, will they give you knowledge ahead of time what counter you'll receive etc.

How did the opportunity come about in the first place?

I strongly suspected that the customers filmed were not actual random people walking in to the shop to pawn their items, but then of course one never really knows.

Whatever the case, I think it's going to be a really cool experience and one you're not likely to forget any time soon!

I'm very excited! Of course, there's no guarantee that they will air my segment, but hopefully it turns out entertaining enough!

...i think i'd have my own camera crew on hand to film, just in case your segment gets edited! (thumbs u

...that way you could show us the clip right here on the boards! :applause:

That is very cool, I love watching the show as well. I would think that this would air because they love showing WWII stuff and I haven't seen one of these on the show before. Good luck!

Eastman Kodak Co. made most of the film used in these cameras. Kodak was the single largest purchaser of silver dollars. From the draft of National Gold:

"Commercial demand for silver dollars increased during World War II, with approximately 50 million pieces entering circulation during 1941-1943 – more than ten times the quantity released during all of the 1930s. Although treasury officials had no figures on the quantity melted, an internal report stated, '…we assume a large part of this silver went into the melting pots. Eastman Kodak Company, one of the largest users of silver, is said to have met a large part of their needs through the melting of silver dollars.' The Act of December 18, 1942 permitted melting of silver dollars which were considered unfit for circulation, and during 1943-1944 the treasury recovered 36 million ounces of metal from an estimated 46 million badly worn and mutilated dollar coins. Some of this silver might have been used in photographing V-Mail letters to American soldiers around the world, or in film for reconnaissance cameras flown on U.S. bombers."

This is defiantly very cool, but I've never seen one of these before and have no idea how to price it. Let me call a friend of mine that knows everything there is to know about this stuff, he'll come down here, take a look and we'll take it from there? How does that sound ? You will answer ....Gee, that sounds fine, thanks!!....

I sure hope it goes well for you & you get your 5 minutes of fame, or so........ Good luck....Joe

I look forward to watching the episode. The show is a lot of fun to watch.

Last year I went to Las Vegas and the Pawn Stars Shop. I took a wizzed and re-engraved 1889 CC Morgan Dollar that appeared to the untrained eye to be in mint state condition. None of the stars of the show were on location that day and I dealt with one of their employees. They were interested in purchasing my coin , but would offer only $500.00 without having their expert appraise the coin. Because I knew my coin had problems, I politely declined their offer and left.

Great opportunity....hope all goes the way you want it.Love the show...since it is WWII item the "old man" may get involved and give a fair offer.

Good Luck

Way to go! ConGrats! :applause:

Love the Pennies.

You have a great show there.

I am more interested in see your Las Vegas show report.

Have Fun :grin:

Bob

To answer a few questions....

I was perusing the Pawb Stars website and saw that I could email them if I had an item to sell. So I sent them an email with photos of my camera and the dates I would be in Las Vegas. They called me a few days later and told me they were "very interested" in filming me selling my camera for one of their segments, and we set up a date and time for the filming next week at the store.

They told me I would be there approximately 2 hours, that I wasn't to ask for photos or autographs until I was finished with my shoot. They already asked me what the value of my camera was and told me that "unrealistic asking prices and/or raising the price immediately prior to filming for purposes of being on TV will result in cancellation of the scene and will never be aired on Pawn Stars." They told me to bring my "A+ personality" and to feel free to "crack some jokes" and just have fun. I don't believe they pay people to bring items for sale on their show.

I don't know if they will have (or need) an expert to value the camera but I do believe the film adds value and interest. I am not planning to ask for store credit. If I don't get a reasonable price for the camera, I will simply take the camera home and probably donate it to a WWII museum in our area.

If I can get some behind-the-scene pictures, I will include them in my Las Vegas show report! And of course I will be sure to let everyone know if/when it airs!!

You ought to bring an 1856 Flying Eagle with you too...

and see what they have to say about it... " we will have

to call in an expert to verify if it's real - or if the salb is

not altered..."

Then you can say you are an expert in Flying Eagles

but was cusrious what they'd pay for the one you

brought with you.

Have fun at the shoot. See you in Baltimore.

Mike